• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Pressure washing exterior of boat

toddgray519

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Would like to know when I use a pressure washer to clean exterior is there a recommended spray tip to use or what tips to stay away from

just checking to make sure the finish doesn’t get damaged

2023 Yamaha 222x

Would like to know when I use a pressure washer to clean exterior is there a recommended spray tip to use or what tips to stay away from

just checking to make sure the finish doesn’t get damaged

2023 Yamaha 222x

I wouldn't use anything other than a 40* tip with a pressure washer if you're asking this question. That should be the white one. If and when you're feeling more confident with yourself and your technique, MAYBE the 25* (green) one. Either of these colors has zero bearing on what the actual tip may be, so do some looking to find the number, and DON'T trust the color until you've verified the numbers. Also, never use a zero tip unless you're a Picasso with a pressure washer, or have a specific reason to do so, like you're trying to send a package to China and need a direct route through the middle of the planet.

The main thing to stay away from is the hull….. don’t get too close to the boat when using a pressure washer. If there is a stubborn spot then get it wet and use a little elbow grease instead of putting the pressure washer gun right on it. You’re not cleaning concrete here. Pressure washers are great at using a small amount of water when compared to a hose as well. Use the widest spray pattern that you have.

No reason to pressure wash unless you're trying to remove marine life. Otherwise, detergent and/or some mild acid solution will clean anything. Don't forget to wax afterwards to seal it up.

My two favorite pressure washer attachments.

1. The dirt buster tip. It's a rotating tip that pulses the water, helping to remove dirt/clay/weeds. I love this for my SXS, but works well on the boat, as it can cause minimal damage unless within 6" of the surface. I literally can hold my hand in front of it if out around a foot. But I can easily move in close to remove bugs and weeds without fear of damage. I also use far less water with a pressure washer over a hose/sprayer

2. My foam cannon. Before getting aggressive with any pressure washing, putting a thick layer of soap foam on loosens and lubricates before pressure washing. Let alone the scent is not bad when used as well.

When washing the interior, I avoid outlets and electronics, but everything installed is marine rated, but not pressure washer rated, so a person has to keep that in mind. It's not a Bentley, get in there and make it look nice. Cleaning the crap around the drip lips of hatches and drains works best with a pressure washer and some soap.

I even spray the entire engine bay down with simple green and rinse with my dirt buster tip. There is no pressure to worry about ripping wires out or getting where is should not be. And the engine bay is left spotless.

I wouldn't use anything other than a 40* tip with a pressure washer if you're asking this question. That should be the white one. If and when you're feeling more confident with yourself and your technique, MAYBE the 25* (green) one. Either of these colors has zero bearing on what the actual tip may be, so do some looking to find the number, and DON'T trust the color until you've verified the numbers. Also, never use a zero tip unless you're a Picasso with a pressure washer, or have a specific reason to do so, like you're trying to send a package to China and need a direct route through the middle of the planet.
Thanks

Back