• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Putting black mooring cover on overnight if no rain? Condensation? Need opinions

NewBoater

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Fellas I am in the habit of putting on my black mooring cover at night (not fully installed ratcheting, Etc. just thrown over the boat). I do this to keep morning dew out of the boat, bugs, birds, etc. I recently had a condensation issue with the gauges which the dealer is going to fix. Do most of you use the cover at night or just leave it off if no rain in forecast. Just curious if I'm only one using the cover at night if no chance for rain. Could it be causing my condensation problem or would that have happened regardless?

I'm gonna try tonight with no cover and see how bad it is tomorrow morning with bugs, dew, etc.

Or you guys can talk me out of it and I will use the cover again tonight :)

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Fellas I am in the habit of putting on my black mooring cover at night (not fully installed ratcheting, Etc. just thrown over the boat). I do this to keep morning dew out of the boat, bugs, birds, etc. I recently had a condensation issue with the gauges which the dealer is going to fix. Do most of you use the cover at night or just leave it off if no rain in forecast. Just curious if I'm only one using the cover at night if no chance for rain. Could it be causing my condensation problem or would that have happened regardless?

I'm gonna try tonight with no cover and see how bad it is tomorrow morning with bugs, dew, etc.

Or you guys can talk me out of it and I will use the cover again tonight :)
FWIW I always use the cover, condensation inside the boat is worse without it.

--

mrtoastyjr

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have an 2006 sx210 that has been covered for its entire life, with no condensation in the gauges. I put it on more for keeping the sun from beating up the interior, plus the dryer I can keep the interior when not in the water the better.

NewBoater

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
You guys talked me into doing it same way I have been. Went out wiped light Dew off and got it all covered for the night :) Thanks for the replies

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Always cover the boat, let me count the reasons...

Mark

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
If outside and not in use. Its covered. Unless I'm drying it out after use or a cleanup. Once it's dry it's covered. Sun bad! :env: . No problems with gauges yet.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length

Slfmde

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have a small fan running and rigged up a very small humidifier to drain out the boat while it's covered. I can take some pics of the dehumidifier if you would like.

Last edited:

jdonalds

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have an 2006 sx210 that has been covered for its entire life, with no condensation in the gauges. I put it on more for keeping the sun from beating up the interior, plus the dryer I can keep the interior when not in the water the better.
That's pretty much my method too. Boat in use uncovered. Boat not in use covered.

Here's an idea. We have a gun safe we need to keep dry. We have an AC heater made just for that purpose. It's only 9 watts. Perhaps one in the engine compartment and one in the cockpit area would keep the boat dry.

https://www.amazon.com/Goldenrod-725731-GoldenRod-Original-Dehumidifier/dp/B00D1WYZ1Y/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1506833862&sr=8-5&keywords=safe+heater&th=1&psc=1

Britboater

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Looks like I'm the odd one out :(, I leave my cover off.
The full cover is not quick to use and my boat is on a lift, so I choose to leave it off. My gauges are ok and the only real time I notice condensation inside is if we go out early but then I just towel dry the vinyl.

jdonalds

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Looks like I'm the odd one out :(, I leave my cover off.
The full cover is not quick to use and my boat is on a lift, so I choose to leave it off. My gauges are ok and the only real time I notice condensation inside is if we go out early but then I just towel dry the vinyl.
Are you not worried about the sun destroying the seats? That is my main reason for covering our boat. Ours is outside 24/7.

djetok

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
We cover all the time and use damp rid when not in use for extended times. Even in covered storage

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

McMark

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
We cover when our boat is not in use. Always.

Seadeals

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Throwing the mooring cover on keeps the whole inside from being soaked by dew. It also helps keep the spiders and bugs out overnight. The few times I have left it open, the Bimini was up and I used the bow cover. I still needed my handy ShamWOW! to dry out the inside for guests.

Noko

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I mostly cover mine but sometimes leave it uncovered for one night if its not going to rain and we will be out early the next day.

jdonalds

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length