• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Question about bearing grease for 10 hr

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I can't find the thread I read a long time ago that explained what type of grease the Yamaha Marine Grade A was. I want to say it was the blue grease that is Aluminum Complex. Is this correct? If so this grease I bought should be ok to use and it's compatible?

I also bought a pump grease gun. It says the output is 4 oz per 100 strokes. I checked in my manual and it says at 10 hours fill the bearing housing with 1.18 oz. By my calculation that is 29.5 pumps correct? I noticed that manual said at 100 hours to put in considerably less grease so is the reasoning for so much grease at 10 hours because Yamaha doesn't put much in there when assembling the boat?

Attachments

REM835

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX192
Boat Length
I just did mine today. I used the actual Yamalube it calls for but everything I have read here you should be fine. I was paranoid of overfilling so I went a few pumps less than my gun called for.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Did your Yamah tube say what type of grease it is on the tube canister? I don't want to put in something that isn't compatible.

How many oz does your gun pump per stroke and how many pumps did you do?

REM835

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX192
Boat Length
I was at the dealership and they gave me ACC-GREAS-14-CT which is what their Marine Grade A is. I will look at the tube when I get home tonight and see what it says. I have a Plews Ulta View Pistol grease gun and it called for 40 stokes per oz. I put 31 pumps in and stopped. I started to get a clicking sound as I pumped and I did not know what it was so wanted to play it safe.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
So nobody knows if it's lithium, aluminum, silicate, unobtanium? I have scoured the Internet and haven't found an MSDS or SDS.

I'm just going to use it today and hope for the best.

Bill D

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Unobtaniun is my mineral of choice for everything. ;)

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
When I asked my dealer if they could sell me a tube of Yamaha bearing grease because I was going to do my own service work, they came out with what you see below. I said, no, I'd like the Yamaha grease, and they said this is what they put into all the Yamaha boats...both bearings and trailer axles.....(and they are one of the largest Yamaha dealers in the country)
20160819_094617.jpg

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Figures. The grease gun I bought won't fit because of the angle. The electronics are in the way. Grease is already in the gun so don't think I can return it lol. I need one with a hose.

Edit - called and they have w whip hose attachment they sell that will work with my gun. Buying the 18" length to make life a little easier back there.

Last edited:

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
When I asked my dealer if they could sell me a tube of Yamaha bearing grease because I was going to do my own service work, they came out with what you see below. I said, no, I'd like the Yamaha grease, and they said this is what they put into all the Yamaha boats...both bearings and trailer axles.....(and they are one of the largest Yamaha dealers in the country)
View attachment 44415

That actually makes sense. As @KXCam22 suggested using Bel Ray, which is also Evinrude.
Mr grease here. My favorite marine grease is Belray waterproof grease, available at any motorcycle shop. I did a test with my old I/O, painting a different type of water resistant/proof grease on each of the 4 prop blades and then going to the lake for the day. All were gone except the belray. In my menagerie of mechanical toys, to keep things simple I only use 2 greases, amsoil synthetic and Belray waterproof. I have been using only these two for 20 years or more. I try to label at the grease nipple are what type of grease it contains. On my trailer hubs I used a labeller. The Belray is also an aluminum complex grease. At work (pulp and paper) the maintance guys swear by the petrocanada OG2, calcium based grease and have the test results to prove it. I have been trying it in a few places but have not used it long enough to have proof of excellence. Cam.

ps not all greases are compatible. For ex mixing calcium with lithium is a no-no, so in some cases you need to clean out the old grease before switching or at lease verify they are compatible.
I know this is thread is a little old, but found some info on the Yamaha grease that might be helpful. I've been pulling my hair out trying to find something locally to use on the bearing housing. It appears that the Yamaha is in fact an aluminum complex, at least that's what the MSDS shows (if I've got the right part number). Here's a link, it's on the last page:

Link <<--

The only thing I've found local is Evinrude Triple Guard from our one marine store here in town. But, after doing some digging on it, it appears to be BelRay in Evinrude packaging. I'm going to pull the hoses like Julian mentioned and see what's in there now.

D

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@swatski There is no MSDS on that link. That's the issue. Either it has been removed or I'm blind as a bat but I do not see it on the Parker website.

So I'd really like to know exactly what's in there before pumping. Surely someone on this forum knows? Why the hell does Yamaha not list what's in the freaking tube??

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@swatski There is no MSDS on that link. That's the issue. Either it has been removed or I'm blind as a bat but I do not see it on the Parker website.

So I'd really like to know exactly what's in there before pumping. Surely someone on this forum knows? Why the hell does Yamaha not list what's in the freaking tube??
I understand, but for all practical purposes -- between @Julian's and @KXCam22's reports -- I would say it is safe to assume Yamaha grease is compatible with aluminum complex, like Evinrude and Bel Ray.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@haknslash Just re-read the intermediate bearing threads, as I'm about to do my 10hr service.
The actual bearings there are sealed, I don't think it matters much what grease to fill the intermediate bearing housing.
As long as one does not blow a seal.

--

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Ah for some reason I was thinking @Julian was using Lithium based grease. I'm gonna go ahead and use what I got. I bought the 18" whip hose so I'm good to go now.

FWIW I called my dealers service department and they didn't know either. They said as long as it's blue/green marine I should be fine.

REM835

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX192
Boat Length
@haknslash I guess you could call the number on the tube for the MSDS if you want. image.jpeg

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Too late. Already filled it haha. who does it say after the contact? CHEMTRE.....something.