• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Question about boat pick up

McMark

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
If winter ever quits and I get to pick up my new boat (AR240) from the dealership, what kind of time should I allot at the shop? Are they going to run through all the systems, take a pre-delivery checkout ride? Or hitch up and go? Since this is a brand new boat will they at least start the engines before I leave? I would imagine by mid April the weather should be behind us. So what happens at pickup time?

@McMark i bought used from a top flight yamaha dealer out of state, sight unseen. Bayside Jet Drive in ocean city, maryland. Planned on showing up when the doors opened at 10 am but it wasn't in the cards. We showed up around 12pm (ish) went on a rocking sea trial which took about 1.25 hrs. Eric, the owner of the dealership took us out. He drove us out, I piloted her back thru the intercoastal and back. He took helm and parked it. He showed me the flush procedure and other on boat maintenance. That walk through was about 45 mins. From there we did the title work, temp tags and souvenir tee shirts. All in I was there for about 3.5 hours. I am curious as to how that checks up to others experience.

Edit: this was in late July 2014 and boat was used '07 SX 230.

@McMark: EXCELLENT question you have posed. Sadly the real answer lies with whomever your specific dealer is & how his day is going.
It SHOULD be at least what @mark_m posted above. I hope you'll come back later and write what your experience was.
Good Luck, Mikey Lulejian - Lake Oconee, GA

I would call them so I know what to expect. I am pretty sure my dealer did a complete run through of the boat and all the systems and then we went for a quick (30 min) check ride. I remember him telling my wife and I to hold on and he power turned the boat at WOT to show us the steering capability. We just followed the boat down there behind their tow rig and then when it was over we went back to the dealership and they handled getting the boat out of the water and back to the dealer. Once at the dealer we hooked it up to my truck.

So do you think we're going out on a sea trial? The boat had 0.1 hours on the clock. I'm not really interested in a sales guy showing me what she can do. I'd rather break her in gently under my own methodical schedule.

One tip: It'll make your life a lot easier if ya get a little "run-thru" on the Connext System FIRST. By the dealer.
I had THE factory rep from Yamaha do that for Barbie & I on a simulator @ the Atlanta Boat Show. She spent the better part of an hour with us on just that ! Good Luck - Mikey Lulejian - Lake Oconee, GA

So do you think we're going out on a sea trial? The boat had 0.1 hours on the clock. I'm not really interested in a sales guy showing me what she can do. I'd rather break her in gently under my own methodical schedule.
@McMark i think it depends on your dealer. Bayside is a family run and owned operation. No cheesy salesman stuff here just a family that is passionate about their business and treats customers the way they should be treated. @OCMD can back me up on this one. . . For me it wasn't at all about hot dogging or joy ride sea trial, Eric was genuinely interested in making sure that I had full information on how to operate and maintain the boat.

It won't be a sales guy, mine wasn't. It was 2 of the service guys that know the boats.

I remember it taking about 2 hours from the time I got there to the time we pulled her off the lot.

Im sure it will all be fine then. Like I said, I don't want a sea trial where someone decides they are going to show me what she can do in something with basically zero hours. I already know :) so don't beat on my boat.

Don't take the one line about the hard turn out of context, it was a brief point in the orientation and not typical of the entire thing. They covered in detail unloading, loading, how the plugs work and all the kill switches. I was a veteran boater but I still found the orientation worth the while. I don't want you to get the impression my dealer was balls to the wall in the boat yelling "yee-ha" the whole time.

You're the one paying the money. If you don't want a sea trial, tell them so. Or, if you want a sea trial but you don't want them to go above 4K rpm, tell them so. It's your boat.

i bought my boat from a dealership that was no where near water, so i didnt do a sea trial. It still took me a few hours, they walked me throw everything....EVERYTHING... which i was happy about since this was my first boat. Probably spend 1-2 hours walking though all aspects of boat and another 45 minutes or so on paperwork

Same as JLCJ7 here... I was as anxious as you are last year buying my first Yamaha. Spent the winter reading and reading about maintenance and operation...

Called the dealer in ... what February last year to ask about the sea trial... he thought I was nuts as the ramps and rivers were still frozen... I just wanted to go look at the tow distance from his dealership and ramp setup etc... yes... ANXIOUS...

On the day of pickup... they were still kinda cleaning the vessel up... had the motor running... etc...

I blew off the sea trial because I didn't want to waste my time with the dealer rattling on and on about this and that... I wanted to get the trailering part over with ... only 2 hrs... but i was anxious.

Tech and other personnel spent perhaps 20 minutes telling me about some stuff... I don't even recall if they told me anything I didn't already know ... i had watched the video x2 ... read the manual x2 ... i was pumped.

Hooked it up... checked the lights and trailer breaks ... all looked well and I was off...

Now... I want to play with my boat sooooooooooooo bad.

I think I'm also going to bail if they want me to do a sea trial. I have 2 1/2 hours one way to pick it up. Show me the systems and cut me loose.

You're the customer. You're paying for it so you should dictate what you want to be shown or not shown on pickup.

My dealer was great to work with. Upon arrival he had it prepped and cleaned with the mooring cover on. Since I previously worked at a Yamaha shop and also owned many pwc I didn't need a tutorial on the boat. I arrived, hooked up, did a very thorough inspection myself to make sure everything I negotiated was there, checked that it had everything it was supposed to come with, and checked it very thoroughly for any damage. Once you leave you can't blame the dealer for something you didn't spot or missed. After paperwork I was out the door.

I picked mine up in February, it was snowing. Dealer went over some basic stuff, and he was like " Sounds like you already know a lot " I was reading about yammie boats for almost 2 years before i pulled the trigger.

One thing i didn't do while at the dealership for pickup is check the gelcoat making contact with the bow roller... of course... i made my trip... and on changing to the Stotlz roller I discovered a fair bit of wear on the gelcoat AND the factory roller...

so... check the bow condition UNDER the roller... if you have issues... they can be addressed asap.

I remember him telling my wife and I to hold on and he power turned the boat at WOT to show us the steering capability.
So much for the break in period? Or what it a demo boat?

Back