• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Question for the Ladies

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
So unlike my buddy, who acts like boat driving is like piloting the freakin' space shuttle, I have no issues letting my family take the boat out.

My daughter has been driving the boat since 10, and has had her boating safety certificate since 12 and just turned 17. My wife would rather not, but will in a pinch if I want to surf/wake/tube and my daughter is not along to pilot the rig.

So my wife decides her and her friends are taking tomorrow off and headed to the cabin tonight for a ladies night/day. Good for them. My buddy will not let his wife take the tritoon out, but I have no issues with my wife taking ours out. It's just as much hers as mine. And it's on a powered lift, so there is no unloading etc. Just uncover, load coolers and run!

My question... is it condescending to email over the attached diagram of the boat. It's nothing they would not have found by opening all the cabinets of course. The main point started when my wife asks what do the battery switches look like, and which ones to I flip. I just figured I would point out the location of the main items, so that they are not digging all over when the time comes to need them.

I'm sure they will have a blast as it is supposed to be 89 and sunny. We don't get that every day in MN!

Thanks!

Attachments

Ilmmct

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Not a lady, but my household is two daughters and a wife ... so except for gender, I believe I am qualified to respond:

Warning ... wait for the questions and be prepared to assist, don’t proactively send. This is a trap, you need to stand down and be at the ready upon the request for assistance.

Married 34 years ... daughters are 30 and 28, this is my well “educated” advice for you ;-)

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Yeah...she asked about the batteries....send her the battery pic. You could ask in that message if she'd like a diagram of where everything is, and a start up/shut down check list.

viper15

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Agree with comments above. Only provide the answer to the question asked. I know you are trying to help by being proactive. But coming from a person where teaching/instructing courses as part of my job - Bombarding someone with information you think they will need typical will instantly make them feel overwhelmed, inferior or upset. Best to feed them only what they need to know or asked to know at the time, and spoon feed them along. This will build their own confidence as they go.

Give her some credit for what she has already done - She already knew about the battery switches, but couldn't remember what they looked like. So she wasn't afraid to ask. Knowing that would give me enough confidence to trust she will ask about anything else she might get stuck on.

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I agree with the previous posts. Let's not forget, ladies have egos to. Just not as fragile as ours. :)

Sbrown

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Send her the email saying something along the lines of "Hope you have a great time out there, I've attached a diagram with locations of items that may help if you need it, Love you! and Have Fun!" 24 yrs of marriage and 3 daughters.

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
That's the way I did it. Thanks for all the replies. It truly was an answer to her question plus a bit more information for the items that I know are buried away. Especially the ski locker and knowing that they will want the beersby poles that are hidden away in there. We also had the Sheriff on our lake last week, so she may have been curious where the registration info was hidden.

fireflymedic

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I a man so you can ignore my advice but if you keep drain plug and clean out ports open i mite mention that. A list of procedures for start up mite be ok and appreciated.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I would be more concerned with safety/emergency actions,

With a daughter 16 that can drive/handle the boat very well she still not up to snuff on the what if's and problem solving portion of boating

What if the engine doesn't start, is it cranking, is the lanyard in, is the cleanout hatch open, or the safety of "here comes a big wave, steer into it, power through it,"

Can your wife or does she know how to throw the anchor incase there was an emergency to stop drifting? is she going to be calm if there is a problem?

I wouldn't let my 19yr old son take the boat out without an experienced person because he doesn't want to learn those items and operating a boat is more than just don't run into the dock,

I think the picture is great even just to keep on the boat, if there is a question you'll both of the same point of reference or use the same terminology to help answer it.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I was actually planning on starting to sabotage the boat our next trip out to start my daughter learning the flow chart of thinking thru the problems,

lanyard,
plugs out,
tie downs still attached while unloading,
not sure if I'll be brave enough to leave the drain plug out to see how long it takes her to recognize bilge is running ( I know from previous experience you can easily unload and tie up to the dock for 3-5 minutes and then hurry over to a sandy beach close by to insert the plug )

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Those are all good points, but not a huge concern of mine for a few reasons. (other than safety of course)

1. The plugs don't come out unless I am trailering (law requires it) or I notice water in the bilge while on the lift
2. The cleanout plugs get pulled and sprayed every Sunday night while on the lift. As it will sit till the following Friday night, then used each day of the weekend
3. They both have used the anchors and know proper ways to tie them off. The box anchor is new to them, but the old anchor is there as well and adequate
4. If the boat doesn't start, we are on a small lake, and cell service is excellent with plenty of boat traffic. We have a tritoon and waverunners available to make a run

I trust my 17 year old more than my wife when it comes to driving anything, and I do mean anything. She has discovered little things in her car that I have taken care of for her that her mother would have ignored for months. That being said, she has changed tires, helped with a battery, headlight, windshield wipers and fluids. Anything more can go to a mechanic anyway.

She is an accomplished snowmobile driver since the age of 9, drives a SXS like a freak as well as the Waverunners and our previous boat. I have sat in the bow with a cocktail as she pulled the boat off the lift, pulled double tubes with her friends and re loaded on the lift. She shows the responsibility of an experienced captain for sure. It leads me to my buddy that would love to make this as complicated as flying a space shuttle, which it is not. Anyone who does that is trying to scare their family into ever enjoying driving it as much as he is.

There is safety and preparation, and then there is just plain scaring them of things that could happen, but are highly unlikely.

Noko

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Come up with a simple operation checklist, like, how to start the boat, where emergency items are located. How to make sure the drain plug is in.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So unlike my buddy, who acts like boat driving is like piloting the freakin' space shuttle, I have no issues letting my family take the boat out.

My daughter has been driving the boat since 10, and has had her boating safety certificate since 12 and just turned 17. My wife would rather not, but will in a pinch if I want to surf/wake/tube and my daughter is not along to pilot the rig.

So my wife decides her and her friends are taking tomorrow off and headed to the cabin tonight for a ladies night/day. Good for them. My buddy will not let his wife take the tritoon out, but I have no issues with my wife taking ours out. It's just as much hers as mine. And it's on a powered lift, so there is no unloading etc. Just uncover, load coolers and run!

My question... is it condescending to email over the attached diagram of the boat. It's nothing they would not have found by opening all the cabinets of course. The main point started when my wife asks what do the battery switches look like, and which ones to I flip. I just figured I would point out the location of the main items, so that they are not digging all over when the time comes to need them.

I'm sure they will have a blast as it is supposed to be 89 and sunny. We don't get that every day in MN!

Thanks!
Love this thread!

@biffdotorg I'm totally stealing your diagram/idea!!!!!

In my case, I'd almost be more concerned about the dock/lift operation as there are some quirks to it, but I've been working hard this year to make that part foolproof.

--

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I was actually planning on starting to sabotage the boat our next trip out to start my daughter learning the flow chart of thinking thru the problems,

lanyard,
plugs out,
tie downs still attached while unloading,
not sure if I'll be brave enough to leave the drain plug out to see how long it takes her to recognize bilge is running ( I know from previous experience you can easily unload and tie up to the dock for 3-5 minutes and then hurry over to a sandy beach close by to insert the plug )

Question:
How do I rate this post "funny", "creative", "useful", and "love it!", at the same time?

--

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Love this thread!

@biffdotorg I'm totally stealing your diagram/idea!!!!!

In my case, I'd almost be more concerned about the dock/lift operation as there are some quirks to it, but I've been working hard this year to make that part foolproof.

--
I'm totally with you. As we have a new lift, new boat etc. But we had a jet before, and we had a lift before. In this case we have a bigger boat and the lift is powered. So it's actually easier.

That all being said, at what point in life were we all new to boating? Remember that first time Dad let us fire up the outboard and take the boat out, or take it with our buddies. We were all new once. And we all need to be given that first chance to make some mistakes.

But my family is not new, just new to this boat. So I have to remind myself again, these rigs are sold to yahoos with much less experience than us, and I consider us fairly intelligent (not unlike anyone else) There is nothing any of us would do to put our friends in danger.

So I agree totally with a checklist. But honestly it was my OCD that kicked in bigtime with the diagram. It matters not where the hell stuff is stored. I only put things in the same place so that I can find them easily when someone asks for them. The priority being on the emergency items and safety items we have to have easy access to if the Sheriff or Bush pig stops us.

I cannot wait to hear what a great time they have tomorrow. I only wish I was on their snapchat list, as I would bet the photos will be epic like a teenager. All I know is there will be a couple young gents that will be swooping in tomorrow afternoon at the cabin to attend to our slightly pickled spouses. I'm so glad we are on a nice small lake.

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I guess I live to close to Canada. Bush Pigs are the Canadian equivalent to DNR/Game Fish Officer

ApelilaRains

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
I, as a "lady" wanted to learn and my husband was more than happy to teach me everything and anything. From what if's and what NOT to do. Haven't had to take it out on my own for the day since we are usually together enjoying the day; however, I'd like too for a girls day out. This will include getting the boat from storage, hitching, gasing, launching and everything else in between. Always best to have someone who is your "co-pilot" familiar with the boat in case of anything... (that's if they are interested...) Hope they have fun!

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Well.... how else is she going to know where you keep the beersby cups?

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I ran this by my wife of 18 yrs (and baby momma), her response tell him, “Unless asked, Shut the F Up!”.

She was also elated to read that your wife is proficient enough with the boat that you let her take it out without you.

For context my wife is good at watching me boat, she will drive it but is not comfortable docking or trailering it. So her opinion is skewed in that way. That stated, F her opinion, I say send the diagram to your wife and all her friends. I’m just kidding.

I think you should do what my wife thinks, refrain from taking any action. If she needs your help she will ask for it.

Besides if something happens and she somehow totals the boat and everything (but not anyone) in it, that’s what insurance is for and is an instant upgrade path right? Again just kidding.