• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Question for those who wet slip

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So I’m considering buying a home that’s in a waterfront community that comes with a deeded boat slip. I’m allowed to put in a hydro hoist lift but we are in brackish water. I would likely keep my boat in the water about 7 months out of the year so my question is will a hydro hoist lift be enough to protect my boat from corrosion and algae growth on the bottom or if I go this path am I better off to start looking at getting an outboard boat? I just know our boats don’t do well sitting in any kind of salt water.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
You won't want it sitting in salt water. Any kind of lift will solve that problem. Personally I wouldn't want any boat sitting in water if I could avoid it...even an outboard. Stuff will grow on the bottom which will DRAMATICALLY impact the boats performance and as such, fuel economy will suffer. When I wet slipped my boat in Falls Lake NC, by mid season the boat went from a top speed of 50 to 35!!!! So imagine the fuel economy I was getting running 10k rpm to go 35!

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Julian I agree not leave my boat in the water for extended periods with out a lift so either I will get one. I'm just concerned that I will have cable issues with the boat being that close to moisture the whole time.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
@Julian I agree not leave my boat in the water for extended periods with out a lift so either I will get one. I'm just concerned that I will have cable issues with the boat being that close to moisture the whole time.
I'm sure your cable life span would be shortened, but not enough for me to want to switch boats. Keep the cable ends greased and spray your pumps with protectant and you'll be fine.

Jgorm

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I see lots of Yamahas on hoists in San Diego bay. You can wet slip an outboards much easier because you can raise the engine. you would need to hire a bottom cleaner if you keep it in the water.

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
FWIW, I wet slip the boat from 5/15 to 10/15. I am on a cold fresh water lake, so growth on the hull is not that bad. I will take her to our favorite sandy beach, put on mask, fins and snorkel and scrub the hull usually twice a season. She comes out in October with little bottom cleaning to do. I have noticed a mile or two drop in speed but not as bad as @Julian. However your location in warm brackish water is different and I would certainly want her on a lift of some kind. Hell, I would love it if my marina would allow lifts, but they do not.

DieselCamel

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
World Cat
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I know SC is ALOT colder than SWFL But your Hyro lift would be covered in barnacles in about three months. Extremely bad when the water warms up to about 80. I would go 4 post lift if possible.

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I know SC is ALOT colder than SWFL But your Hyro lift would be covered in barnacles in about three months. Extremely bad when the water warms up to about 80. I would go 4 post lift if possible.
Even though this is on the ICW and is brackish water its more towards the fresh water end of that spectrum in that location I don't think barnacles will be an issue there but there are several hydro hoist lifts there now I will def inspect them to see if they are having that issue. I would love a 4 post lift but I don't see any in that community at this time so it makes me think they may not be allowed.

DieselCamel

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
World Cat
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Yeah definitely something to look at as we’re in brackish as well and it’s crazy the amount of growth on anything in the water.

Jgorm

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I've seen hydrohoists in salt water for 20+years without cleaning. Who cares if it grows barnacles?

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So I’m considering buying a home that’s in a waterfront community that comes with a deeded boat slip. I’m allowed to put in a hydro hoist lift but we are in brackish water. I would likely keep my boat in the water about 7 months out of the year so my question is will a hydro hoist lift be enough to protect my boat from corrosion and algae growth on the bottom or if I go this path am I better off to start looking at getting an outboard boat? I just know our boats don’t do well sitting in any kind of salt water.
Hydrolift and a lot of T-9 Boeshield. Better than wet slipping.
I love o/bs, but not with kids around and doing a lot of water sports - nothing beats a jetboat for that kind of peace of mind.

I wish I could use my lift more...
Currently my boat is at home as we have high water. It is creeping up to where you see cars in the parking lot.
upload_2018-3-30_23-37-37.png

--

DieselCamel

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
World Cat
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I've seen hydrohoists in salt water for 20+years without cleaning. Who cares if it grows barnacles?
You would think a lot of growth would affect operation after a while. But hey I’m still new to coastal life.

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
You would think a lot of growth would affect operation after a while. But hey I’m still new to coastal life.
I would think heavy growth like barnacles would add a lot of extra weight over the years and since these are items designed to hold specific amount of weight I would think it could definitely affect performance for sure.

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hydrolift and a lot of T-9 Boeshield. Better than wet slipping.
I love o/bs, but not with kids around and doing a lot of water sports - nothing beats a jetboat for that kind of peace of mind.

I wish I could use my lift more...
Currently my boat is at home as we have high water. It is creeping up to where you see cars in the parking lot.
View attachment 70992

--
We are in the same spot we don’t really do water sports but the boss said I can’t have an ob until my one year old is old enough to understand that he has to stay away from the prop I agree with kids jumping off the back deck it’s nice to not have to worry about it.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
We are in the same spot we don’t really do water sports but the boss said I can’t have an ob until my one year old is old enough to understand that he has to stay away from the prop I agree with kids jumping off the back deck it’s nice to not have to worry about it.
Yep. Kids, clueless guests, and really - any adults when alcohol is involved... We will not be going back anytime soon.
The peace of mind I have sitting at the helm of a jetboat and not obsessing about who may still be in the water or about to jump in etc. is completely priceless.

--

Jgorm

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I would think heavy growth like barnacles would add a lot of extra weight over the years and since these are items designed to hold specific amount of weight I would think it could definitely affect performance for sure.
Even 100 pounds of growth won't affect something designed to lift 7000+ lbs. I grew up on salt water docks and I've never heard anyone cleaning their hoist. I have seen a couple with bottom paint and always thought it was a waste.