• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Rear Facing Seats

PPKap

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I’m posting this question to the forum to settle a little debate. We have a 242 Limited E. During wake boarding my son (24 yrs) likes to sit in the rear facing seats to watch his brothers/friends. That makes me a little uneasy. Obviously, under power cruising everyone is seated in the main part of the interior.

I think I’d be a little more comfortable during wake surfing and at no wake speeds with riders in the rear facing seats. What do you guys think?

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
At slower speeds, (aside from the safety concerns of falling off... etc) the larger concern is Carbon Monoxide from the exhaust right under the swimdeck. At slower speeds, the air flow isn't going to dissipate the exhaust as readily as going faster. Someone actually posted a carbon monoxide test at various locations around the boat, I thought... but it's been a long time. Maybe @Mainah or @Bruce .

The Wake9 guys on YouTube did a video... not our boats, obviously... but I found it interesting none the less.

In the end... you're the captain, passengers need to do what you ask. Regardless of nearly grown son, or not. :) . (I do understand your quandary, though.)

DavisAR195

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
MasterCraft
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Depending on what state you live in, it may be illegal.

AboveTheBest

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Two things on that video (which I very much enjoyed watching):

1. That fresh air exhaust doesn’t look all that rugged. I’m sure it’s been tested and won’t snap off, but it looks pretty flimsy.

2. I love “teak-surfing”, or as we’ve always called it “dragging”. I have an old handle that is around 15’ long that I use to body-surf in the wake at around 7mph. I’ve been doing this since I was a teenager but never realized the carbon monoxide danger... although, I’m sure I still end up doing it this summer as well.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Sitting on the stern while the boat is underway is illegal as it is not a designated seating position for the boat.

Carbon monooxide poisoning is a real concern - especially when driving slower.

No matter what you'll want them in a life jacket so you can retrieve the body if they pass out or are thrown from the boat if you make an evasive manueuver to avoid something. We've had many discussions about this here, some allow it, some don't. (I don't)

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I’m posting this question to the forum to settle a little debate. We have a 242 Limited E. During wake boarding my son (24 yrs) likes to sit in the rear facing seats to watch his brothers/friends. That makes me a little uneasy. Obviously, under power cruising everyone is seated in the main part of the interior.

I think I’d be a little more comfortable during wake surfing and at no wake speeds with riders in the rear facing seats. What do you guys think?
Wake surfing? - anything goes on my boat, it just depends, if I have new kids trying to get up (on a board) my wife will be all over the swim deck, in and out of the water.

Wakeboarding speeds? - no one should be sitting on the swim deck, IMO, too many things can happen, it's easy to slip, there are no handles, if you slip and fall in the water you could be seriously hurt (or decapitated) by the boarder (who would usually have minimal or no time to react and avoid) etc.

Carbon monoxide issue? that is tricky... Our boats do not have clean air exhaust; while the surf side is burring in the water, the non-surf side exhaust is up and out in the open; you can definitely smell the exhaust while surfing.
Most of the time it does not seem too bad, or overpowering, but it does bother me when I think about it.

--

captras

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I Double down on @Julian 's post. And a few others as well. It is illeagal to sit in the swim platform area while underway per USCG guide to federal requirements. Not trying to tell you what to/not to do. But if they see it, it could get you a ticket. Penalties can be pretty steep. PENALTY PROVISIONS
20190304_064434.jpg

Here is the whole PDF 20190304_065620.jpghttps://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.uscgboating.org/images/420.PDF&ved=2ahUKEwi3msOpsujgAhUOON8KHW3WAv4QFjAAegQIBhAB&usg=AOvVaw1NyXLzL5eLTPQJF6dpi2pT
Having a slip for the Beneteau a fenders toss away from the Coast Guard Station, I will err on their side of caution.

Last edited:

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I never heard of teak surfing before, why are the fun looking things always dangerous? LOL

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Teak surfing is really dangerous - look at this video (at 6:40) to see the CO readings when doing this behind a Tige (800-900ppm). Then read this site and see what safe levels are (9ppm), and how long the effect of CO poisoning last.

They also tested Wake surfing and determined it to be safe, but it was interesting that they said they reached levels of 100-120ppm while in a tight right turn. At that level, your house CO meter would be alarming - I'm not sure that is "safe" - and many of us jet boaters surf in circles.

The fresh air exhaust they refer to takes a pipe and puts the Tige exhaust into the prop stream (much how an OB or IO exhausts in the prop). Our jet boats exhaust at water level.

The link in the video no longer works, which is a pity as I'd like to see their data!

Anyone got a high end CO meter and want to test this on a jet boat? That station wagon effect on different boats would be interesting to test.

Last edited:

ThatJeepGuy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Sitting on the stern while the boat is underway is illegal as it is not a designated seating position for the boat.

Carbon monooxide poisoning is a real concern - especially when driving slower.
While I don't allow anyone to ride on the transom while we're underway, I don't believe it's illegal in Florida

New boating laws on stops, operation take effect

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Just noticed I forgot to embed the video in my post above! D'oh!

@ThatJeepGuy How FL cops handle it is one thing. The Coast Guard follows the formal vessel seating positions. Will they pull you over for it? Heck, they can pull you over for no reason at all....so I'd prefer not to annoy them! This article makes it seem like most states can also pull you over for limited/no cause : American Boating Association:Pulled Over.

I'm still not going to let people ride back there - especially given the above info posted by @AlphaKap - I'll even keep a closer eye on small kids in the stern seats!

IF you do let them ride back there, please make them wear a PFD. Although CO can kill, what happens more often is they pass out, fall overboard and drown. This would be especially easy in my lake where you wouldn't find the body in the murky water (but even spotting something below the water on a windy day can be hard)

Last edited: