• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Repairable Damage???

charlesstiles

Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
Tango
Boat Length
Other
Took a rough hit on the lake this weekend and got some cracks in the hatch of this 2003 Sugar Sand Tango.
Is this something that can be repaired? Do I take it to a boat shop? Whats it going to cost and do.I approach my insurance about it?

Attachments

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Not sure if the Sugar Sand has the same double-hull design as ours, but these are some pretty serious cracks, even if not on the outer hull. I would be shocked if the fiberglass below was not impacted. That means you are looking at grinding out all the bad glass and re-laying... That is at the very least a messload of work.

I would get an estimate from a boat shop; depending on how much they estimate, you can then decide to involve insurance or not.

And check the bottom of the hull.

charlesstiles

Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
Tango
Boat Length
Other
Thank you for the insight. The bottom of the hull is free of cracks and I confirmed it is a double hull. I found a guy an hour north that has done boat fiberglass for 40 years. He thinks it is repairable and said ~$500 and at least three days.
I'll run it by a boat shop to see what they say before I drop it off tomorrow. If they tell me anything over $1200 I'll probably go through insurance to make sure it is done right. I sure don't want it falling apart at 60mph.

Attachments

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
How/what did you hit? Did something heavy fall inside?

charlesstiles

Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
Tango
Boat Length
Other
I am pretty sure the captains seat was previously cracked. Saw that it had been recounted and an extra set of holes along with the center hole looking makeshift.
BTW, the insert in the two seats is the perfect fit for the two rear seats. If abyone is looking for only the rear, keep your eyes out for front inserts that can be recovered.

Attachments

charlesstiles

Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
Tango
Boat Length
Other
How/what did you hit? Did something heavy fall inside?
180 degree spin, wake/wave popped us out of the water a little too far when we were sideways and wind knocked us rear first into the lake.
In hindsight I am sure the anchor clanking around in there helped with the damage. I think I'll get rid of it or find a foolproof way to store for the times that I am acting like a fool.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Based on your description of the situation, It sounds like the anchor did all the damage.

Seeing this is only the storage compartment affected I wouldn't stop using the boat myself but we all have different tolerances for risk. This would be a good winter project whether you tried yourself or gave it to someone else so you don't lose the boat for a month. But, only you will reap the rewards of the extra risk, or suffer the consequences, so I can only suggest what I would do. How you proceed is entirely up to you :)

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
180 degree spin, wake/wave popped us out of the water a little too far when we were sideways and wind knocked us rear first into the lake.
In hindsight I am sure the anchor clanking around in there helped with the damage. I think I'll get rid of it or find a foolproof way to store for the times that I am acting like a fool.
Yeah....you never want an anchor in a compartment where it can be flung around and cause damage. Mine lives under my starboard bow seat, but I have thick mats in there to protect it, and it sits on wood not fiber glass.

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I agree that is anchor damage, then. That is actually a bit of good news. That means it is less likely things below the gelcoat are impacted much. I still think you may have glass damage, but probably less than if that was caused by hitting the water or something (in which case there may be similar cracks anywhere).

Also good news is that this being an interior compartment, the repair is not mission-critical. The boat won't leak or sink if you don't have it done right now or correctly. All that space really needs to do is hold your stuff... and anchor. Main risk as I see it is further damage, as these spots are weak (like if you leave the anchor in there bumping around again, you definitely will have glass damage--maybe a hole).

Also makes it a better DIY project if you would like. But that $500 quote is going to be hard to beat or pass on.