• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Replacing Steering Cables

Lextacy03

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My steering was frozen this weekend and I was able to break it loose. It's a little stiff but not to bad.
Who has changed their steering and how hard was it ? Should I do the throttle at the same time just to get it over with ?

Thanks as always

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
My steering was frozen this weekend and I was able to break it loose. It's a little stiff but not to bad.
Who has changed their steering and how hard was it ? Should I do the throttle at the same time just to get it over with ?
Thanks as always
I have changed my steering cables. It's not hard, just takes a little time. The cables are most likely Teleflex. You should be able to get the Teleflex numbers off the cable behind the helm area. Port & starboard cables ARE different lengths. The Port cable is 1 foot longer. There is one bolt that holds the cable assembly to the helm. After you take that off you will be able to move the cable & cable holder out from the helm area to find the cable numbers. I believe I paid just under $100 per cable. If you go to Yamaha for the parts you'll spend at least double. Replace both. When you're ready to do the job just sing out for the step by step. I found it much easier than replacing the scupper valve.

Glassman

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
If the cable is otherwise intact and there are no breaks that you know of, you might try and lube it first. I get similar issues on some of our motorcycles. Check this out:

Or, some guy named Steve has written up a lubing procedure and published on a boating site...can't recall the name of it:

Here's a way to do it:
Disconnect the cable from the jet nozzle, it has a spring-loaded clip. Loosen
the locknut and remove the cable end and locknut. COUNT THE NUMBER OF
TURNS for the cable end, so you can put it back on correctly. Write it down.
There is a rubber seal that slides onto the metal part of the cable, slide it
off. Find a piece of vinyl hose that fits snugly over the cable housing (the
outer part). Slip this on and secure it with a tie-wrap. Fill the vinyl hose
with oil and pressurize it gently. (This is why I haven't written it up yet. You
can use a long hose and hang it from the ceiling and let the oil soak in for a
day or two. You can rig up a way to attach a bicycle pump or air
compressor. It takes very little pressure--too much will blow the hose off).
Try moving the steering wheel gently. This will help work the oil into the
cable. Don't force it! The other cable may be the one that has the problem
and you could damage it. Remove the vinyl hose, pack some waterproof
grease around the end of the cable housing, then replace the rubber seal.
Re-install the locknut & cable end, then attach it to the jet nozzle.
I used Mobil 1 because it's a low viscosity oil and will protect well. Any light
oil will work.
I'd recommend doing this every year for a boat that's used in salt water,
every other year for fresh water boats.

Zarrella

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Thanks @Glassman....I just went on E-bay and bought my very first luber!....umm that did'nt sound right...lol

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have done the above procedure @Glassman with fair results. Bottom line is if your cables have been compromised you MAY be able to use this procedure to get you through the last couple weeks of a season but it will only delay the inevitable. If you're going into a season with a steering cable issue, don't make yourself miserable...replace them BOTH.

Chris Dietz

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have changed my steering cables. When you're ready to do the job just sing out for the step by step.
Hi, Thanks for the info. I am interested in additional details on how you replaced the cables, thanks!

Unreal Yammi

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Chris Dietz ,

Click on the FAQ/Index/References link in Julian's signature in his post right above your post then select item#32. Item #9 which discusses reverse gate cable replacement may be worth the read also just because of the similarities.

Marvin willis

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Anybody know what size hose to buy. In trying the other way right now. I have my cables hooked to a bag from the throttle but I don't think it's working. I'll find out tomorrow I guess

Unreal Yammi

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I bought at my local hardware store and used this cable..9/16" OD x 3/8" ID made of vinyl.

Attachments

Weebs74

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
can you guys get me the information on which steering cables to buy for my 2007 AR230? I have looked all over this forum and can only find one person who gives the numbers for a 2006. For some reason, the parts on several websites only list the cables for up to 2006. Also, the steering cable are apparently different lengths...yet when I find the part listed online, it is for only 1 part....or is that a set of cables???

Weebs74

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Thanks as always
Did you ever get around to replacing your cables? if so, where did you order your parts?

Weebs74

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I didn't. I just started lubing the ends of the cables with a water spec grease everyday I take the boat out and everything loosened right up. These cables are 9 years old and spent their whole life in salt water. Pretty amazing. Hawaii is warm though. Get to use the boat the entire year so there's little storage time.

25tkempker

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Has anyone one changed the steering cables on a 2007 ar230? Any tips on install would be a big help! Thanks

25tkempker

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thxs Marvin! Is that used inside or outside the transom? slowly putting the steps together.......

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Tom Duignan

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Does anyone know how to remove the rear seat cushions on a Yamaha 2010 sx210 jet boat. The ones that rise up with the engine cover.
Thank You
Tom