• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Replacing Steering Cables

Tom Duignan

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
OK Thank you ill try that tomorrow morning. Thank You very much.

Tom

Manuel Sanchez

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Added to the FAQ
Hi Julian....hope that you help me. I bought a 2006 Yamaha Jet Boat SX230 and need to change the acceleration cables or throttles cables. What are the best site to buy...what is the exact measures or if the cables has a standard measure.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Hi Julian....hope that you help me. I bought a 2006 Yamaha Jet Boat SX230 and need to change the acceleration cables or throttles cables. What are the best site to buy...what is the exact measures or if the cables has a standard measure.
Are you sure it is the throttle cables that you need or the reverse gate cables? You can determine this easily. When you push the throttle levers there are two stages of movement in each direction (forward and reverse). The first stage of the movement moves the gates that cover the jet pump on the outside of the boat - these are what fails usually as they are exposed to water all the time the boat is in the water. The 2nd stage of the throttle movement is to the engines for throttle control - these don't usually get stiff or fail because they are not exposed to water.

Tom Duignan

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
If anyone is looking for a site to purchase Yamaha Jet Boat cables, whether they be steering or gate cables, I have been very satisfied with buying my cables online from
"Yamaha Sports Plaza". They are original Yamaha parts and are a little expensive, however I don't believe in cutting costs when it comes to being out on the water. Just give them the boat, model, year and you'll get the correct cables. I buy the parts and work on the boat myself for my daughter. Not cutting costs when it comes to her safety.
Good Luck.
Tom

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Tom, I'm glad you are satisfied with your purchase.

Yamaha manufactures some parts, but many others are sourced from manufacturers that specialize in certain products.

I am very much against willingly separating from my money, and I will generally always look for options where the price of an item seems much different than comparable items.

Looking for the original manufacturer on cables and other articles, and buying straight from the original manufacturer does not put you at greater risk of harm.

Many fittings, fasteners and switches can be found as alternatives to the yamaha OE parts for much less. I prefer these when available, and would rather use the savings for other upgrades or more boating time, dinner, etc.

Every choice brings risk, i think the implied risk of danger to safety vs cable source is not one I agree with. I wanted to provide this thought for the benefit of others that may be interested in pursuing after market parts on future purchases.

Best of luck with the install.

Tom Duignan

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Tom, I'm glad you are satisfied with your purchase.

Yamaha manufactures some parts, but many others are sourced from manufacturers that specialize in certain products.

I am very much against willingly separating from my money, and I will generally always look for options where the price of an item seems much different than comparable items.

Looking for the original manufacturer on cables and other articles, and buying straight from the original manufacturer does not put you at greater risk of harm.

Many fittings, fasteners and switches can be found as alternatives to the yamaha OE parts for much less. I prefer these when available, and would rather use the savings for other upgrades or more boating time, dinner, etc.

Every choice brings risk, i think the implied risk of danger to safety vs cable source is not one I agree with. I wanted to provide this thought for the benefit of others that may be interested in pursuing after market parts on future purchases.

Best of luck with the install.

Tom Duignan

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Beachbummer,

I wasn't trying to tell anyone what they must do, I was simply telling the person where he could buy the cables because he asked. If you want to buy aftermarket parts, that's great. Whatever works for you. Yes, the install went well, only was delayed a bit by those bolts holding down the deck hatch.I wanted to flush out that area around the fuel tank and check the lines so I did both projects together. I used a #4 bit as required but those bolt are too long and don't come out easily. Happy Boating.

Tom

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Those bolts were terrible to me. I gave up and put caps on a couple I could not redrill correctly. Glad you got it working.

Tom Duignan

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thanks Beachbummer;

I removed maybe two or three with the Robertson #4 bit but, the rest had to be drilled out. Broke many bits trying get down the center of those stainless steel bolts and then used a vice grip to remove the rest of the bolt. In doing so, couldn't avoid damaging the rubber seal in the track of the deck plate opening. I replaced the bolts with stainless steel bolts with hex head. Not going through that again! Ha1

Be safe, Happy Boating
Tom

Tom Duignan

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Perhaps my fellow jet boaters can answer a question for me. You ladies and gentlemen have been very helpful in he past. I am replacing the impellers on my daughter's 2010 SX210 Yamaha Jetboat. I know that the impellers are different and "side specific" in that the port side impeller must go to the port side and the starboard impeller must go to starboard. My question is; are the jet pumps also "side specific" or are the jet pumps identical and it doesn't matter in which side they are installed?
I can just do one at a time so I don't switch them but, I just want to make sure that no one before me placed them in the incorrect position. Are they marked in any way?
Thank You,

Tom

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Got a question in private message about how hard this is to do, and figured I'd share my reply here:

First of all, I've never done steering cables-I've only done reverse buckets, but it is the same procedure. The primary difference is the steering cables pass through the metal transom plate, and some have had a challenge breaking that loose.

So your next steps in deciding if you want to tackle this depend on:
  1. How much money you have
  2. How much time you have
  3. How quickly you want to get back to boating
Taking it to a dealer will mean no boating for some time as this (written in the spring) is THE MOST BUSY time of year for boat dealers and their service departments.

I would definitely do this myself. Order the parts online (not from your dealer - but getting them to give you the parts #s might save some time - I've not seen anyone post a 242Xs steering cable part numbers yet....but I might have missed them).

Do you have a good relationship with your dealer? If so, I'd go there and chat with them. Ask them how quickly they could do the job, and their price. When they say "well....we are busy", ask them if they'd sell you the parts and how much.

Now look online:
Here is your parts diagram:
2016 Yamaha 242X E SERIES (SAT1800ER) Steering | Yamaha Sports Plaza

Pretty sure you are looking for part #13: Steering Cable Assy F3F-U1470-00-00
$381.49

And when I google that part number I find:
Seastar SSC134 Rack Steering Cable Back Mount SSC13413

Now I'm not saying that IS the right one, but this took me 5 minutes. When I did my bucket cables, the dealer wanted $600 for them, Sportsplaza wanted $280, and I bought them from a Teleflex dealer for $160.

So if you can do the leg work, get a buddy to help (offer him a day on the water)...you could be back in business next weekend!

Good luck and hope this is helpful!