• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Reverse gate measuement

Blazin14

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
reverse gate.jpg

All,

My 2007 ar230 always has forward momentum while in neutral. I've heard it will always have a little as it uses forward and backward thrust to keep position (cool understood). I looked at the 06 Ar230 service manual and it mentioned that reverse gate opening can be / should be measured to determined true neutral, and adjust accordingly. Does anybody know what "A" should be in the diagram for true neutral?

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
from my 07 manual, look at shift cables #3,

upload_2014-12-10_16-3-2.png

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Blazin14 glad to have you on board, how long have you owned your boat?
you might want to update your profile, we don't need your address only your city name, state

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I think to get the best possible neutral you just have to adjust it with trial and error,

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have very little forward thrust in neutral. My neutral measurement is 1 3/8"

image.jpg

Blazin14

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
thx for the fast replies. Great - so the 06 is the same as the 07, nice.

I bought my Ar230 in May of 2014. My Bro-n-Law had a 08 AR230 fews years back and I fell in love.

Live in Maryland (upper Cheaspeake). I will update my profile.

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Welcome aboard @Blazin14 Sounds like the guys have you taken care of on the reverse gate/neutral position measurement.

Keep in mind that if you're adjusting the neutral setting that it also affects the height of the reverse gate while in the forward position too. Usually this won't be an issue. But if you happen to adjust the reverse gate too low, it could vibrate violently while under way. This is due to it being caught in the flow of water while in forward. Mine was like that when I test drove it and it was a simple five minute fix (with boat on the trailer) to adjust the reverse gate up out of the way. If memory serves me correctly it was literally one or two full turns on the reverse gate adjuster.

You may already be aware, but to adjust the reverse gate:

1. Loosen the stopper nut
2. Disconnect the "quick release" mechanism on the end of the reverse gate cable (no need for a wrench here) it has a spring loaded mechanism.
3. Turn the connector to lengthen or shorten the cable.
4. Re-attach cable to the reverse gate.
5. Tighten the stopper nut.

Good luck, keep us posted.

Blazin14

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Need some clarification.

Is this the bolt I loosen or tighten.. It seems very tight (see red arrow).

Do I need to hold the shaft with vice-grips and loosen the lock nut? Is the shaft/nut and collar with spring on piece?

pic22.JPG

pic1.jpg

CrankyGypsy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
i placed the open end of a 9mm wrench into the spring-locked recess and used an 8mm (i believe) wrench to turn the nut back. i think my "locking collar assembly" was secured with Loctite, so yes, i used vice-grips to hold the shaft then used the 9mm wrench to turn the assembly in/out.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
@Blazin14 Welcome and looks like you got the help you needed. Looks like you figured out how to undo the spring loaded ball joint. It might be easier to loosen the nut with ball joint still connected if you have a tool you can get in there with.

Will add this thread to the FAQ!

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Blazin14

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thx Julian - If only I followed the directions (lol) - Step 1 ( very important don't skip)

1. Loosen the stopper nut
2. Disconnect the "quick release" mechanism on the end of the reverse gate cable (no need for a wrench here) it has a spring loaded mechanism.
3. Turn the connector to lengthen or shorten the cable.
4. Re-attach cable to the reverse gate.
5. Tighten the stopper nut.

Blazin14

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Update:

Well yesterday was the first trip of the year. The left throttle hand started shake real bad at 30-mph. So I guess the 1-3/8 may not work for my boat.

I think they should offer an open measurement too. I put back both buckets to the original measurement which was 1-1/2. (two full turns). Right now I would rather have a little forward movement, than no top speed. I may try to only turn cable one full turn to see results and only left bucket, but not right now.

After I put the bucket back to the original measurement the full open bucket position still look like it maybe in the jet stream (but what do I know). Very hard to tell. I guess I will find out to day. (I will share this open measure as a baseline to a 1-1/2 closed).

Also - the right bucket did not have any shake and has the same measurement, very strange as well.

Anybody else have the same challenge?

ncnmra

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Yes, I have the same issue. When wake-boarding behind my boat I can see that both buckets, but the port side specifically, is hitting the jet stream. The port side is actually causing a considerable amount of water to hit back against the underside stern. I'm thinking this may have something to do with the excessive spray when tubing, as well as my lack of top end (I can only make it to about 48mph under good conditions and low weight).

Can anyone advise what the measurement/appearance of the reverse bucket should be at fully open?

My boat only moves a very small amount at neutral, so I don't think that's at issue.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@ncnmra glad to have you on board, please update your profile with your boat info and your location so it shows with you posts,

48mph is generally and acceptable top speed for most of our boats,

Out of the water when you put your throttles full forward do they both stop at the same upward position?

ncnmra

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Yes, it appears (visually) that they both stop in the same position; however I can see that the jet is hitting the buckets, and especially the port side is showing lots of spray upwards against the bottom of the boat.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@ncnmra always nice to see members from the North!

Your top speed is just about right, if everything was optimal some members can get 50-51 mph,

Surfing behind my boat this year gave me an entirely new perspective of what's happening with my pumps and how the water exits them. I believe I also have "some" water diverting and hitting the underside of the swim deck although not enough to cause problems for people on the tube at 60 feet behind the boat and 20-25 mph (unless I gun it and go 40mph for a short burst, then it will soak them pretty good). I'll try to make a better mental note next time we go out to give a better comment on the amount.

If you've got a good neutral position it may be the diverted spray at speed is just a trade off that you have to make unless you really want the extra mph or spray to go away at the expense of gaining some idle speed forward drift.

Be sure to check you the FAQ section for lots of great tips,

ncnmra

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I have checked the FAQs, and the tips are excellent, yes!

Next time I'm out, I will try to take my GoPro with me. I was a passenger on the tube recently, and I believe I have 60ft rope, and I couldn't stay in the area directly behind the boat because of the spray, I couldn't open my eyes. I have seen some pictures online of the boats on plane, and the jet looks completely unimpeded by the gate (see below). Mine does NOT look like that. However, my "neutral" seems ok; and I don't have any vibration or issues at WOT. Maybe my Cobra (original) fins are part of the issue??

I never really thought much about it, but the more I put together (possible top speed loss, port engine topping out at 9800 rpm, spray behind the boat, visible difference of water jet appearance when on plane, and visible back-spray when being towed behind the boat), I'm thinking its worth my while to investigate further.

I realize this is the 230 section, but this discussion seems pertinent to likely all the boats.

PS: Can you shed light why the seeming animosity between the two forums? I've been an avid member of the "other" forum, and it appears that it would be of great benefit to all Yamaha Jet Boat owners to have one resource for information. I looked at the FAQ, but it appears "hush-hush" as any discussion about the two forums and their interaction with each other.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
you do have the MR-1 High Output engines don't you ? if so you should be getting 10,000 -10,200 rpm's

Do you have a YDS unit to read your engine ECU's, if not it may be worth getting one or finding a member close by that you could borrow one from, it will give you any error codes along with a hour readout and time at different rpm intervals,

Do you tow your tube from the tower or walk thru ? if you tow from the walk thru the rope will create a lot of spray itself, (just thinking of different possibilities)

I agree if you have a large amount of spray it probably is worth investigating further and a video would be very helpful, let us know before the ice comes down!

I would agree one place for jetboaters everywhere would be great but as far as the "other board" you mean yamahajetboaters.net , we're fine with them but don't try to post jetboaters.net over there, it will get you censored or banned,

checkout this thread for the unfortunate events that made this site happen, https://jetboaters.net/threads/why-a-new-forum-my-explanation-others-will-add-their-stories.486/