• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

rod/cup holders

jeff_s

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Ilmmct

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
On a side note ... nice work on the wood model. Measure twice cut once! How much do you think you'll need to shave off? A decent file will work on the Fiberglass?

jeff_s

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
On a side note ... nice work on the wood model. Measure twice cut once! How much do you think you'll need to shave off? A decent file will work on the Fiberglass?
Thanks!
Yeah i planned on using a rounded file. I think I should only have to take off between 1/16 & 1/8 of glass total.

jeff_s

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks buying 2 on eBay now.
I'm guessing the 24's have more room in the swim deck? Or do you plan on cutting the bottom of the rod holder?

Ilmmct

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I am hoping the 24 has more room, but if my boat doesn't, I am planning on cutting the bottom by the necessary length and putting a stainless bolt through the bottom.

jeff_s

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I am hoping the 24 has more room, but if my boat doesn't, I am planning on cutting the bottom by the necessary length and putting a stainless bolt through the bottom.
No im 2nd guessing trying to return the 2 I bought.

If that area drains to the bilge, then I wouldn't be apposed to cutting off 2" from the bottom and putting a stainless 1/4-20 bolt across the bottom.

These rod holders are made real nice. Heavy feeling and the insert seems durable.

The price was great to boot.

jeff_s

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I got my flag flying. I bought an Amarine rod holder from Amazon for $24.00.

IMG_2848.JPG IMG_2846.JPG

Wayloncle

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

fraserjr

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length

If that area drains to the bilge, then I wouldn't be apposed to cutting off 2" from the bottom and putting a stainless 1/4-20 bolt across the bottom.

These rod holders are made real nice. Heavy feeling and the insert seems durable.

Based on the pics I am seeing here the 24' boats definitely have more depth. I had to turn mine slightly outward to fit but was able to get them in there.

The other thing to note is that the drain holes don't go into the engine bildge. I believe they drain down to the drain plug in the keel. I am not crazy about having water drain down there on a consistent basis because I would think it would absorb into the fiberglass over time. My project for this week is to reroute the drain tubes into the scupper drain pipe so that the water fully drains out of the rod holders. Currently the drain hole on the swim platform sits above the drain hole at the bottom of the rod holder.

(Typed from my phone)

Ilmmct

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@fraserjr in my 242 there is always a small amount of water in that location that I periodically observe the accumulation (remove the plug to see the volume of runoff and dry this area out). Was thinking the flow of two "new drains" leaching water into this same area but being periodically removed (as I am doing now) would be adequate. What do you think of this plan? The fibreglass is dried out ever 2 weeks or so.

fraserjr

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
@fraserjr in my 242 there is always a small amount of water in that location that I periodically observe the accumulation (remove the plug to see the volume of runoff and dry this area out). Was thinking the flow of two "new drains" leaching water into this same area but being periodically removed (as I am doing now) would be adequate. What do you think of this plan? The fibreglass is dried out ever 2 weeks or so.
Since I keep my boat on an Air Dock on the water, I am a little more leery of letting water sit for long periods of time. In your case though, it's probably fine. I am pulling the boat out tomorrow and am going to attempt to run the drainage tubes to the scupper pipe, if it's not too much work, I will let you know, as that may still be your best option to keep the boat bone dry. The problem with letting those lower cup holders just drain into the hull is that they get water in them from just the normal wash from driving the boat around (coming off plane quickly, etc.). I don't know if I would want all of that water sitting in the hull. But again, I am in a different situation than you.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

weaselman

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@Julian I am going to try that and see if that works. I am waiting on the rod/cup holders from ebay. I will let you know if it works.

fraserjr

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
@Julian I am going to try that and see if that works. I am waiting on the rod/cup holders from ebay. I will let you know if it works.
In hindsight, I would have probably done the same for the same reasons you stated, except I had already drilled the holes in the lower ones. Let us know how it works out.

Ilmmct

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@Julian I am not that into fishing (or trolling), so I don't want to cut new holes in the boat. I just inspected and it looks like the sitting area at the transom would be a convenient place to pop out the existing cup holders and install these cup-holder/rod combos. The downside of this location is the draining @fraserjr has mentioned.

The other option is taking out the existing rear cup holders in the stern seating area. Not the best fishing location imo, but a convenient install (my mits can get on both sides of the job) that also drains to the bilge.

I have fished with 4-5 people and the appeal to me of the transom area (multi-level seats, roomy etc.) doesn't seem to be where people chose to fish from.

Might put them in the stern seating area. Any advice from the readers of this thread would be appreciated.

No fishing planned for a while so gonna noodle this and wait for some feedback before the install.

jeff_s

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Nice.
I have a couple of those in my Amazon cart waiting for me to pull the trigger. Did you drill a hole through it or anything to hold the flag pole in there?
I didn't drill any holes. When I bought the flag pole, it came with a bungee. The bungee held the flag pole in all day yesterday. I'm very happy with this setup.

Glen

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Installed pair on rear last year and love them!
Will install bow next.
Both drain into self draining compartments (not bilge), so no tubes.
Believe rear are 30degree & bow 45 or so.
Believe hole is 3 inch plus...remember it being explicit in directions. Bigger than average rod holder.

Attachments

fraserjr

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Follow up to my earlier post. I pull the rod/cup holder out last night and ran the drain tubes down to the scupper tubing. It was pretty easy to do and I actually like the solution a lot better since now the water doesn't just spill out onto the swim platform. I poured a half a bucket of water into each and they both drained completely.

Also, for those trying to put the rod/cup holder in the upper cup holder spot on the swim platform - on my boat there is the black muffler (or whatever it is) blocking anything but the normal cup to fit, so I don't think that will work. A quick check by pulling the cupholders (three screws) will make sure.

Edit: Also since I know everyone loves pictures, here is what I did. I just took some tubing from Home Depot and the T-connector from the previous cup holder configuration and just tapped a hole in the scupper drain tube with a drill and then just stuck the T-connector in. Seems to work really well.
IMG_2509.JPG

Last edited:

Ilmmct

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@fraserjr nice work. I opted to put mine in the seating area (vs. the stern swim platform). I did not want to cut holes, my DIY skills are rudimentary and my fishing plans are 3-4 times a year. Also in my previous fishing outings people like hanging in the seating area vs over the gunnel. Was a painless install that also drains to the bilge, the toughest part was removing the old silicon. Added some additional fishing utility to the boat w/out the water intrusion worry. My solution was "good enough" ... yours was "done right" so congrats!