• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Rope caught in intake

Marybethb

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
We got the rope stuck in the intake and we were able to cut all the rope out and from what I see there is no more debris. The motor turns on just fine. We left it overnight in the marina and the next morning the engine compartment was half full of water. Is it possible that water is getting in from a broken seal or something.?

6DEFAEB1-0DCC-4D0A-BA1A-4A2F14364644.jpeg

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I hope you didn’t crack the hull. It has happened before. There is also a middle tube that can crack. You need to pull your boat out and do a thorough inspection. Search for “sucked up rope cracked” and you should see the related thread and instances where the rope did damage. If you look close it looks like there is some silicone and something black rubber looking on part of the rope so maybe just got lucky and that’s all you’ll need to repair but definitely check it out good.

Last edited:

Dave burke

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
the first link from @haknslash is my saga. Started just like your situation, got the rope out and then the boat started leaking. First thing I would do is pull it out of the water, then put a garden hose in the engine and see where the water comes out. Hopefully it’s the white sleeve that’s cracked and not the hull.

More details in the thread but another learning for me was pulling the pump makes it a lot easier to see what’s going on.

good luck.

Jim_in_Delaware

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Sorry, but I have to ask, why is there so much water in the bilge? Is the bilge pump working?

Jim

Dixemon

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Might get lucky and just have to reseal that adapter for the shaft receptical. Out of curiosity, is that a floating style rope. Also did you run it over or did it suck the rope down when it was adjacent to the boat?

Dave burke

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Sorry, but I have to ask, why is there so much water in the bilge? Is the bilge pump working?

Jim
hard to know. In my case, the bilge was working but there was so much water it eventually killed the battery.

in your case, my guess is the bilge pump is defective or the leak is bad enough that the pump can’t handle it.

but that’s secondary though imo. You need to confirm the leak and then fix it. I would keep it out of the water until then.

I’d suggest do the water test, confirm the leak, pull the pump and then send us pics so we can help you see what’s going on.

Dave burke

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Btw, I just reread the thread about my repair. You can start reading at panel #39. That’s where the write up starts. Everything before is all preamble as I was asking lots of questions and there was quite a bit of back and forth with everybody who helped

Marybethb

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
We got the rope stuck in the intake and we were able to cut all the rope out and from what I see there is no more debris. The motor turns on just fine. We left it overnight in the marina and the next morning the engine compartment was half full of water. Is it possible that water is getting in from a broken seal or something.?

View attachment 161938
Thank you I do see that rubber and silicone now I have someone coming today to pull it out and take a look

Marybethb

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I hope you didn’t crack the hull. It has happened before. There is also a middle tube that can crack. You need to pull your boat out and do a thorough inspection. Search for “sucked up rope cracked” and you should see the related thread and instances where the rope did damage. If you look close it looks like there is some silicone and something black rubber looking on part of the rope so maybe just got lucky and that’s all you’ll need to repair but definitely check it out good.

Thanks! I have someone coming out today to pull it out and take a look. Hoping the hull has no damage as well.

Marybethb

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
hard to know. In my case, the bilge was working but there was so much water it eventually killed the battery.

in your case, my guess is the bilge pump is defective or the leak is bad enough that the pump can’t handle it.

but that’s secondary though imo. You need to confirm the leak and then fix it. I would keep it out of the water until then.

I’d suggest do the water test, confirm the leak, pull the pump and then send us pics so we can help you see what’s going on.
We have a manual bilge and we keep it off as well as the battery when stored at the marina. Having second thoughts on this now. We don’t want to come to find a sunken/damaged boat versus a dead battery. Yes we are keeping it out of the water and throughly investigating and testing it before we put it back in

Marybethb

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Might get lucky and just have to reseal that adapter for the shaft receptical. Out of curiosity, is that a floating style rope. Also did you run it over or did it suck the rope down when it was adjacent to the boat?
Yes it’s a floating rope. We had rented the boat out and I’m not sure how it got in there from what I hear the rope was loose and while they were driving it fell into the water and got sucked in

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
We have a manual bilge and we keep it off as well as the battery when stored at the marina. Having second thoughts on this now. We don’t want to come to find a sunken/damaged boat versus a dead battery. Yes we are keeping it out of the water and throughly investigating and testing it before we put it back in
I’d can’t remember how Yamaha wires their bilge but if you wet slip I would have the bilge hard wired to the battery. It is an auto-sensing bilge meaning it will check for water every cycle or so and if there is water present it will turn on. You could also buy a secondary bilge pump (good to have regardless) and wire it directly to the battery.

Dave burke

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Agreed. Personally I’d go with the second option. And put the pump in the true bilge under the swim platform. A bit more work but will be better in the long run if you’re wet slipping.

Marybethb

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length

Got the rope off looks like we have small crack in the hull. White piece is still intact maybe just need to get some more silicone .

Attachments

Dave burke

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Is it leaking from this crack? I’d want to confirm that if I were you.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Got the rope off looks like we have small crack in the hull. White piece is still intact maybe just need to get some more silicone .
Yup...looks like you need to get that crack repaired for sure....don't want that exposed fiberglass! Then as you said...pull the plastic flange and reseat with new silicon - might as well do that while you have that area exposed to fix the crack!

Marybethb

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Is it leaking from this crack? I’d want to confirm that if I were you.
We opened another area to see the backside of the crack and there is some water in there so presumably it’s coming from this crack. Here is also some pics from the inside.

Attachments

Dave burke

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Like @Julian says, you definitely want to repair the crack and probably reseat the white flange at the same time.

once repaired, I would definitely do the hose test and make sure you have no water coming out. That way you can be confident the problem is solved

Acard7

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I would almost turn that in on insurance if the fiberglass is damaged, which it looks like it is. I’m okay with gel coat repair but in that specific spot with possible fiberglass damage that looks like it’ll be quite the job!