• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

rpm big difference twin engines

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Gotcha. Man...that'd irritate the heck out of me lol. More so than my couple hundred RPM difference anyways...
Mine is 200 off. I can't stand the sound when out of sync. After 4 years of use, I am used to holding the throttles a certain way with my palm on starboard throttle and index, middle fingers and thumb holding port throttle. And I can keep it synced thru the range of the throttle movement, by fine tuning with my fingers and thumb.

Last edited:

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Billtex2000

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
So, for what it's worth, I finally got around to replacing my port tach. The tachometers are now consistently off by about 200rpm throughout the range (port is -200rpm). I think this is much more realistic and better for my OCD! LOL
BUT, now the needle on the new tach is bright red (not faded)! Lol
Such is life!

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Mine is 200 off. I can't stand the sound when out of sync. After 4 years of use, I am used to holding the throttles a certain way with my palm on starboard throttle and index, middle fingers and thumb holding port throttle. And I can keep it synced thru the range of the throttle movement, by fine tuning with my fingers and thumb.
Yep. That is how exactly I learned to deal with it.

Billtex2000

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

svana

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
So when I purchased my 08 SX230HO there was a variance of 400-600rpm and it used to drive me nuts. I know that the MR1 HO boats like mine don't have the the cable adjustment in the engine bay like the other models, and most of the info on here has indicated that there's no way to adjust the throttle. However, when replacing one of my throttle cables (per some of the great write-ups on this forum), I recognized that there are 2 cables to each throttle, one for the gate and one for the engine. While tweaking the gate placement it occurred to me, why not try and tweak the engine cable in the same fashion. I twisted the eyelet on the engine cable (exactly how you would do the gate cable), and the result was exactly what I had hoped - a minor tweak in the engine output. I'm not sure if I'm overlooking some reason why this simple tweak isn't an option for our models, but my engines are now running <100rpm difference between the two under ideal conditions, and no more than 200 in adverse situations. It's as good as I could have expected.