• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Scarab sinking...

S.peay

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Hm someone a little too drunk or forgot the plugs?

Pirana

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Submarine move?

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Bummer. Sounds like he took a wave (or three ;) ) over the bow. I wonder if that boat has a scupper.

S.peay

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Had insurance i think so thats good. Poor scarab :(

fireflymedic

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
It sure looks small with most of the boat underwater. At first glance thought it was photoshoped.

ToddW850

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Wow! That's crazy. I agree with @itsdgm and wonder about the scupper.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Looks to be a Scarab 165 which according to their website has:
  • Self bailing cockpit
So why did it swamp with just a wave over the bow? My guess is he didn't know to keep the boat moving forward and to get people to the stern of the boat to raise the bow.....driver error IMHO....but easy to say if you weren't there! LOL

And why were they just sitting on it not bailing it out by hand ASAP? Just seemed really strange they weren't actively trying to empty it....

Last edited:

Bill D

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
He's got insurance... It's all good bro. o_O

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Bummer. Sounds like he took a wave (or three ;) ) over the bow. I wonder if that boat has a scupper.
Wow! That's crazy. I agree with @itsdgm and wonder about the scupper.
I understand that Scarabs do not have scuppers which certainly could become an issue for Bimini crossings.

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Didnt u see the driver standing in a completely flooded boat, being pulled to shore by another boat and still drinking his beer?

ScarabMike

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
That right there is a classic case of a carbon seal failure. It used to happen to Seadoo PWCs, and is the achilles heel of a rotax powered boat.

This has to be another boat that was not sea trialed, you can hear him say he just got it.

S.peay

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
I'm not sure because I hear him say it had 17 hours at one point and he said he took some wake over the bow but it sure looks like carbon seal... if not he did a hell of a submarine

ScarabMike

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'm not sure because I hear him say it had 17 hours at one point and he said he took some wake over the bow but it sure looks like carbon seal... if not he did a hell of a submarine
Its definitely a carbon seal. If the boat has 17 hours, then it could have worn due to two things. 1. Engine/pump alignment or 2. Engine flush for more than 2 minutes.

The Carbon seal uses the contact with the surface water to cool it down. When you flush the boat outside the water, that seal will heat up due to friction, and will cause wear. It will eventually crack or come off. Same thing happens when the motor isnt aligned to the pump. The carbon seal will fail due to friction.

mraz72

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I would have gotten the tree people out of the boat or AT LEAST tried bailing the water. Too nice of a boat to just sit there and drink a beer. It was getting worse while towing with all of that weight, they could have moved the people to the other boats.

so if the motor cut out right away they could be ok right? Just have to remove all water from the engine, change all fluids? If it sucked up a bunch of water, not sure what happens.

BobJohnson

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VR
Boat Length
The drunk "lady" who seemed to be having the time of her life while the boat was being towed, made me sick to see.

I too was wondering why nobody was bailing. Guess some folks just don't care as long as insurance will cover their problems.

ScarabMike

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I would have gotten the tree people out of the boat or AT LEAST tried bailing the water. Too nice of a boat to just sit there and drink a beer. It was getting worse while towing with all of that weight, they could have moved the people to the other boats.

so if the motor cut out right away they could be ok right? Just have to remove all water from the engine, change all fluids? If it sucked up a bunch of water, not sure what happens.
The engine is closed loop, but can take in water through the intake, and exhaust manifold. If you shut off the engine, you can save it from hydrolock. Once you get it back to shore, you can just take the spark plugs out, and crank the engine. The water will shoot out, and it will be ok.

captras

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I feel bad for the guy, BUT.....I dont care if I DID have insurance....I would not have taken it so calmly.....I would be pissed, and been doing SOMETHING rather than enjoying the ride. He certainly should have gotten the passengers in the tow boat to lessen the weight and MAYBE let the bilge at least catch up if not maybe make some progress. As for the drunk lady....who knows! I know it is easy to Monday morning quarterback, but I just think somebody that really had an attachment to a large investment would have been a little more proactive and concerned. That being said...I guess we dont know how far/long he was being towed at the time of the video, so maybe he had time to do all that I would have expected, and finally just accept the inevitable!

Mike Cardillo

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
So the capacity on that boat is 5 people/750lbs. 850lbs with gear. Those are 5 decent sized people on that boat. Let's say they weigh 200lbs each (which is probably being kind). That puts them 250 over the recommended passenger weight. Add some gear and the fact that 200lbs each is underestimated and I think we have a clear picture of why he took more than a few waves over the boat. Imagine the first wave filling the cockpit and further reducing capacity....