• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Scupper Valve Replacement Options

ZippyBoater

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Purchased my boat in late September 2018 and when I put it in the water for the first time, I found out that the scupper valve was broken and I was taking on water. This forum really helped me ID what was wrong and how to fix it. While I was waiting on the replacement valve and cooler weather to make the repair, I plugged the hole in the hull where the scupper valve goes thru with a PVC Test Plug and I used it for a few days without the boat taking on water. After a lot of research on this forum, I am beginning to believe that plugging will be the easiest and safest way to go. We don't get a lot of water in the boat as we use it on a very calm lake and we have a covered boat house where it is stored.

My question for the group is, do I really need to replace the valve or can I just find a more permanent plug for the hull?

PaulyB

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I think the problem with plugging it, is the water on the deck wont be able to drain. The deck water doesnt drain into the bilge very efficiently, so the bilge pump wouldnt be able to pump the water out if a big storm came or something of that nature. Its not very difficult to replace it with a stainless scupper. I have changed out a few...

ZippyBoater

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I think the problem with plugging it, is the water on the deck wont be able to drain. The deck water doesnt drain into the bilge very efficiently, so the bilge pump wouldnt be able to pump the water out if a big storm came or something of that nature. Its not very difficult to replace it with a stainless scupper. I have changed out a few...
I think I am looking for an excuse not to pull apart the back of the boat to replace the valve. I already have the part and just need the time to do it.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I'd replace with SS and be done with it. You could just remove the hose and let the water drain directly to the bilge if you get any, but I'd feel better if I knew it was draining overboard if it was my boat. I was messing around on my 242X last summer with just me and kids on board (no wife to yell at me).....I was doing multiple tight circles and stuffed the bow soaking the kids up front! It was a BLAST, but got a ton of water (2 inches) on the deck. I knew that water was going over board....not into my bilge (or not much anyway).

ZippyBoater

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I'd replace with SS and be done with it. You could just remove the hose and let the water drain directly to the bilge if you get any, but I'd feel better if I knew it was draining overboard if it was my boat. I was messing around on my 242X last summer with just me and kids on board (no wife to yell at me).....I was doing multiple tight circles and stuffed the bow soaking the kids up front! It was a BLAST, but got a ton of water (2 inches) on the deck. I knew that water was going over board....not into my bilge (or not much anyway).
Thanks. I already have the SS Replacement in hand. Just need the time to do it. Was hoping to bypass and get the boat in the water this spring sooner.

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Thanks. I already have the SS Replacement in hand. Just need the time to do it. Was hoping to bypass and get the boat in the water this spring sooner.
Shouldn't take too long to do, especially if you have a helper.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The job takes a few hours at most. It's not super urgent, but it needs to be done. If it means you lose a weekend of use, do it some other time, so you don't lose an outing.

It can be done alone but it would be much harder. Easiest with someone helping outside while you tighten.

My humble opinion.

ZippyBoater

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Shouldn't take too long to do, especially if you have a helper.
That's my problem. Need to find a helper. Wife isn't good at helping with something like this. Guess I need to buy some beer and fire up the grill to get some friends over to help.

suke

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I just worked on mine in my 212x and it was WAY easier than I had been reading. Mine I found was already replaced, but was leaking around it. So, I had to pull it out anyways. Also found the clamp wasn't even on the hose. It took me MAYBE an hour to do it, and that was with my 4 yo running around on the boat and me having to watch him so he didn't hurt himself or damage anything.

ZippyBoater

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I just worked on mine in my 212x and it was WAY easier than I had been reading. Mine I found was already replaced, but was leaking around it. So, I had to pull it out anyways. Also found the clamp wasn't even on the hose. It took me MAYBE an hour to do it, and that was with my 4 yo running around on the boat and me having to watch him so he didn't hurt himself or damage anything.
That's Awesome! I hope I can change mine out that quick. I am assuming that the AR is not that different from the SX.

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

PaulyB

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Are you on Lake Gaston? I am on Lake Anna in VA. If you want to bring it up one weekend I can give you a hand.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
It the scupper fails while the boat is in the water she will be swamped with water coming in faster than the bilge pump can pump out.

If you plug the scupper instead of replacing water that gets in the boat, even rain water, can cause the boat to swamp if the rate of water coming in exceeds the bilge pump capacity or the battery runs down.

Replacing the scupper is the best option.

Matt Phillips

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I was nervous and it took about 1/2 day as I wanted to make sure it was done right. It was also very helpful to have a friend to help with tightening the new Scupper (the arms get tired and ya need a break).

As for the idea of putting in a permanent plug in there, you will need to have a drain that goes overboard. The thought is if you get caught in a heavy rainstorm or even take water over the bow, the hose and scupper allows the water to flow from the cockpit overboard...without relying on any mechanical methods (which can fail) to do so. My thought is go Stainless, do it once and lock it in there with some 3200 and forget about it.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
And even your wife could help. You just need someone outside keeping the scupper from falling out as you start. There is a hex area on the back of the ss scupper you can hold for leverage so the piece does not turn.

If she won't, with enough time, you can probably do it on your own too.

Matt Phillips

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
The 230s are all pretty much the same. Try to do it on a 60-70 degree day though so that it's not miserably cold out there and the sealant will cure in a reasonable amount of time. When I did mine, there was plenty of sealant (keep it off the threads on the inside) and I never had a problem with it after.

ZippyBoater

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@ZippyBoater looks like a rainy weekend this weekend....if it weren't I'd pop up there to give you a hand. Next weekend I'm in Israel...
Thanks. The boat is in the carport, but I probably need to pull it out and unfold the Waketower to access the engine cover.

ZippyBoater

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I was nervous and it took about 1/2 day as I wanted to make sure it was done right. It was also very helpful to have a friend to help with tightening the new Scupper (the arms get tired and ya need a break).

As for the idea of putting in a permanent plug in there, you will need to have a drain that goes overboard. The thought is if you get caught in a heavy rainstorm or even take water over the bow, the hose and scupper allows the water to flow from the cockpit overboard...without relying on any mechanical methods (which can fail) to do so. My thought is go Stainless, do it once and lock it in there with some 3200 and forget about it.
I think I will replace it, but previous boats I have owned, never had a scupper and they were fine.

Billtex2000

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I've been procrastinating about replacing mine. I have the SS one as well, but every time I look at where it is in relation to the cleanout tray, it doesn't look like I'd be able to reach it! Is it a PITA to change it out?