• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

sea deck install

Chris K

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Well I know people are going to fuss, but I have searched for a few minutes and cannot find "sea desk install" "sea deck filling screw holes" or what to use to fill the holes left from the buttons. Is 3m 5200 still the best product for filling these leftover holes? Wondering if it fades or yellows after a season.

Any other pointers/tips/tricks that is not in any of the vids. Tis the season to start installing all these kits jbp sold late last year since the temps are starting to rise enough and boats are stretching their arms and coming out of hibernation.

@Chris K I'm in the same situation as you, boat comes out of storage this weekend and then I will get installing the following week. I'm sure glad that @Julian has this whole forum memorized and can quickly point us in the right direction!

If you guys are doing the swim deck remove the old stuff now while its still cooler apparently that is the trick. If you wait till its warm you could be cursing the whole way through a 8-10 hour removal process as it sticks and crumbles in your hands. :banghead::punch::rage::punch::rage::punch::rage::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

@robert843 I'm sure that we will have enough cool nights to hopefully get the stuff off with relative ease. I was hoping that you could try to be more explicit with how you feel about your experience in removing the old stuff. Was it an easy experience for you???:p:sorry:

My boat was only two years old when I did mine. I am pretty sure it was the hottest day of the year, cuz I remember kneeling down on the floor scrubbing it and I couldn't keep the floor dry with all the sweat rolling off my face.

Anyway, mine came up in almost complete pieces...

Again, maybe because it was newer???

@robert843 I'm sure that we will have enough cool nights to hopefully get the stuff off with relative ease. I was hoping that you could try to be more explicit with how you feel about your experience in removing the old stuff. Was it an easy experience for you???:p:sorry:[/Q
My boat was only two years old when I did mine. I am pretty sure it was the hottest day of the year, cuz I remember kneeling down on the floor scrubbing it and I couldn't keep the floor dry with all the sweat rolling off my face.

Anyway, mine came up in almost complete pieces...

Again, maybe because it was newer???

I truly don't blame mine on the weather mine was extremely worn. If I was to do it again and the current Hydro Turf looked strong and in good condition I would tackle it if it looked worn like the last stuff I removed I would pay someone to do it.

received_10154292218460101.jpeg Search Seadek, instead of Seadeck.

On a cool mid 50's day in the garage I was able to remove the swim deck Hydro Turf in one shot. vacuumed up the powder from removal and washed the swim platform about 3x with acetone and clean cotton cheesecloth rags. Now I need to decide where i'm going to reuse the Hydro turf... foot steps around trailer maybe?

Last edited:
Definitely cold is the key to getting the old off, I did mine on one of the few freezing mornings we had here in SC and it came off neary as good as @njmr2fan .. i couldnt get the peice covering the head off that day, it had gotten too warm, so next freezing weekend morning I went back in and off it came. I had told myself at that time, if it didnt come off, I was going to get some dry ice and try that out, but luckily i didnt need to go that route. It literally took me 30 minutes total to get all the old off, that includes opening the boat up 2 times, and gathering the tools. its like the adhesive was barely able to keep the stuff attached in the cold.

I used a scraper with a mallet and got the majority of the material and then used lots of goof off to get the adhesive off. A little tedious but managed to get it completely cleaned off over a couple of days between rain showers. Probably took about 5 or 6 hours total.

image.jpeg

I used a scraper with a mallet and got the majority of the material and then used lots of goof off to get the adhesive off. A little tedious but managed to get it completely cleaned off over a couple of days between rain showers. Probably took about 5 or 6 hours total.

View attachment 34651

Looks great and you finished about 2 hours ahead of my time!

When you say you used a "scraper", was this a plastic scraper similar to a putty knife? I assume you would want metal or something so sharp it would scratch or gouge.

This is what I used. Home Depot has it for under $6. It does not scrape or gouge assuming you are careful. @SCSTWG

image.jpeg

I used the $3 nylon scraper next to that one at Home Depot (or Lowe's). Absolutely no gouging even if I were not careful.

Back