• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Seadek under extremely hot factory premium cover?

Zeusmotorworks

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
So I have a 210 FSH Deluxe with the black premium factory cover. Being Texas it get soooo hot under there that when I first remove the cover, the boat's OE white deck will actually burn my feet. Limped around for a couple days the first time, been pretty smart about it since. However, I don't leave anything (fishing gear/auto PFDs) stored on the boat as I'm afraid it will get ruined by the heat. Which brings me to SeaDek... upper operating temp of 165 degrees? I already had concerns about its durability for my purposes, but am not finding any local alternatives. Wished I lived close to one of the UV protected PVC decking installers but apparently don't. Whats been you guys from the South's experience with SeaDek longevity and the factory cover?

Anyone's boat get hot enough under the cover to ruin/derogate the useful life of SeaDek?

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
If I had a fishing boat I would use something like deckadence over seadek just so I wouldn’t have to worry about fish guts, blood, hooks and tackle, etc and cleaning would be easier. Probably won’t feel as nice on the feet as EVA foam but I don’t think deckadence gets as hot either.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I have bits of seadek (not a full floor...but steps and side bits etc) that are under my black mooring cover in Raleigh Heat and haven't had any issues....and the black paint of the windshield is too hot to hold/touch.... (one users experience)

Zeusmotorworks

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
Thanks for the response guys.... yes I'd like something more durable but am not finding a local installer, or a company that has a template for anything other than EVA foam.

Zeusmotorworks

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
Julian, how long have you had these under the OE cover and how hot does it get there?

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Julian, how long have you had these under the OE cover and how hot does it get there?
Some came stock in 2016, and some I added this last winter. All are fine so far. Below is a photo of the stern of my boat with both new and old

Zeusmotorworks

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
Thanks... was worried about the heat shrinking the individual peices with all the heat here.

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'm in Texas, but I don't store the boat outdoors. So never tested it under factory cover for an extended amount of time (other than maybe a 2-3 hour tow or so). That said, have had it out in some pretty hot all day type situations and have never had a hint of an issue...

Liveto99

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I have the factory installed gray stuff and Seadek I added from @JetBoatPilot (I figured we would drag him in here for a comment anyway). I have the black cover on my FSH210 and it sits in the Florida Keys from November through April on the top rack getting killed by sun everyday. I have no problem with the sea deck performing, shrinking, pulling off or anything else. The rear port side swim deck Piece is a little lifted on the left side but I believe I hit it with the pressure washer, from stepping up there constantly I always get crap on it and whenever I have the pressure washer out I blow off the swim deck. I just started working on it again and this happened in the last 2 weeks. I wish they had a white cover instead of a black, I think they made it black to look cool. We should shove whoever chose black inside under it for an hour or so until they realize that white reflects the sunlight and all of our electronics and everything else on the boat would be happier at 110° instead of 165. I think the problem with the sunlight is part of it heating up and not the whole piece heating up at the same rate.

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length

Zeusmotorworks

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
Thanks for the suggestions. What has me concerned is that it gets SOOOOO hot that if I remove the cover and attempt to walk on the deck barefoot it will actually burn my feet. Maybe I should put a temp gun on it.

The FSH cover already has two vents either side of the console. I think the heat is radiant vs build up under the cover. Just blows my mind it actually gets that hot under there.

Liveto99

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I just put my cover on. Starting discoloring already only 1 year old zippers a little sketchy I lubed them but don’t think it will last past one more year. $400 a year for cover.