• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Seriously torn between 06 AR230 & 05 SX230

chess

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
So I am torn...

I have two boats I am highly interested in.

06 AR230 and a 05 SX230

the SX230 is at Bayside over in Berlin Maryland at a Yammy dealership... It comes with a 2014 Shorlandr trailer and he is willing to sell it to me for 18,100 OTD..... The boat has zero mods, but it does have a new paint job, and is pretty clean. 160 hours on the boat, along with the throttle cables being replaced. Eric is willing to give me a 90 day warranty on top

the AR230 is local to me, its VERY clean, it has several mods, Battery Perko switch, Garmin GPS (dont know the model off the top of my head) and the trailer just had all the master cylinder re done, with the surge brakes with the trailer. The clean out plugs were replaced as well. 160 hours as well. he wants 23,300 and I asked him his bottom line and it was 21k cash...

I will upload photos shortly, but I am torn between which boat to get... I really am... does the wakeboard tower matter to me.. not really honestly...

Please help out fellas..

@OCMD has seen the 50 SX230 in person as well and has checked it out!

Pictures are linked to Dropbox
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/v3gcw4nw6wmtgvn/AACRuieqo3gI_SoHOJgudUmUa?dl=0

Last edited:

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

2nazt

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Tidewater
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Depending on mods I might go with the AR adding batteries and etc and add up with a new purchase and time involved. Are batteries new on the boat? I would look over install to make sure it looks decent. Not worth if installed with wrong wire or not looking professional installed either. How are props on both boats? You would need to water test first. The tower is nice to have but if you have no interest in ever using it than I guess besides holding speakers and antenna mounts it may not be worth it. Both deals are intriguing just depends on your wants. After adding a chart plotter batteries and miscellaneous other items you may be close to the same price on either one.

2nazt

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Tidewater
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Also I can't remember off my head do both boats have the HO motors? Could make a difference also if you haven't looked.

msavold

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
... and I'd go no-tower SX. But that's 'cause we're boating in the OCMD to Rehoboth area where there are low bridges to duck under. And I've worked with Eric and he's always been honest with us (plus I believe you get some sort of warranty with him). Oh, and then there's the new trailer (we got a painted one and in our area a galvanized one is essential). Finally, there's the $ difference $23,300 vs $18,100 - that's 28% more! That's serious coin for a tower. (I see Bayside has a couple of pictures on line... http://baysidejetdrive.net/pwc-yamaha-kawasaki-sales-pre-owned-inventory/)

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'm not much help here but why was the sx's hull painted? I don't know much about painting a hull over gel coat. But I've seen a few boat paint jobs chip and peel quickly if not done right. I'd look that one over with a question mark in the back of my mind wondering why it needed paint.

msavold

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Dennis has a good point that I missed from your original post - don't hear often of a gel coat re-paint...

chess

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Also I can't remember off my head do both boats have the HO motors? Could make a difference also if you haven't looked.
Yes sir both have the HO motors....

chess

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I'm not much help here but why was the sx's hull painted? I don't know much about painting a hull over gel coat. But I've seen a few boat paint jobs chip and peel quickly if not done right. I'd look that one over with a question mark in the back of my mind wondering why it needed paint.
From what I was told due to fading...

@OCMD actually told me this as the painter came up and talked to him about it. I had no clue until after the fact.

chess

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
... and I'd go no-tower SX. But that's 'cause we're boating in the OCMD to Rehoboth area where there are low bridges to duck under. And I've worked with Eric and he's always been honest with us (plus I believe you get some sort of warranty with him). Oh, and then there's the new trailer (we got a painted one and in our area a galvanized one is essential). Finally, there's the $ difference $23,300 vs $18,100 - that's 28% more! That's serious coin for a tower. (I see Bayside has a couple of pictures on line... http://baysidejetdrive.net/pwc-yamaha-kawasaki-sales-pre-owned-inventory/)
Yup that's the boat @msavold ! Eric seemed like a straight shooter and he said he would provide a 90 day warranty.
I know @mark_m came from Ohio to buy a boat from him and he seems to be a solid guy.

mark_m

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Go with Eric, save the money and do the mods yourself!

chess

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I'd go with the AR for the tower...but you say you'll never use it? No kids? Resale on the AR would be easier as more people seek towers than not....(my perspective).
I have a 9 year old as I'm sure he would want to do both wake and tubing....I'm just not sure if I can convince myself it's worth the extra coin for a tower.

Granted the SX has no mods at all which isn't a hold up..I know y'all will spend my $ LOL....

I've talked to @bronze_10 about both of these boats as well!

mark_m

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@chess cables replaced is nice and if Eric is putting a 3month warranty on it so the boat must be solid. Does it include the Bimini?

Chillypilot

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I thought I wouldn't need a tower too... Man was I mistaken. Id go for the one with the tower. If you plan on doing water sport you'll never regret it

BTW 3 years after I purchased my boat I ended up installing a tower.
image.jpg

Blazin14

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
If u want loader speakers the tower is a better spot. Lights too
I love my ar....

mark_m

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I thought I wouldn't need a tower too... Man was I mistaken. Id go for the one with the tower. If you plan on doing water sport you'll never regret it

BTW 3 years after I purchased my boat I ended up installing a tower.
View attachment 38096
IMHO with the price swing he can always add the tower later...

mark_m

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@chess just noticed the Ar is generation newer hull... Is the chair vs the flip down seat a consideration? The storage in back with the 05 is kind of nice, you won't get that in the 07.

mark_m

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@chess just noticed the Ar is generation newer hull... Is the chair vs the flip down seat a consideration? The storage in back with the 05 is kind of nice, you won't get that in the 07.
Odd .. His sign says 07 but it's really an 06. Forget the newer hull comments

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The 05 and 06 are both the earlier hull design.

DBamaC

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
The AR has carpet, but in the SX it's been removed. I'd want SeaDek in either of them, but you could put it off with the AR (unless you're ok with hot feet).

Not crazy about how the chartplotter is mounted in the AR.