• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Shoreland'r Trailer Tire Pressure

MrMoose

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
When I took delivery of my 2015 AR240, my trailer tires had less than 35 psi. The placard on the trailer reads 50 PSI max cold. So that's the max, but what's the recommended?
I called Shoreland'r and asked them the question, and they said that 50 PSI cold is what they recommend as the target pressure. Less than that and the sidewalls could build up heat and blow.

Andy S

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
When I took delivery of my 2015 AR240, my trailer tires had less than 35 psi. The placard on the trailer reads 50 PSI max cold. So that's the max, but what's the recommended?
I called Shoreland'r and asked them the question, and they said that 50 PSI cold is what they recommend as the target pressure. Less than that and the sidewalls could build up heat and blow.
I was told to keep Maxxis tires I put on my old trailer between 45 - 50 PSI cold. My new trailer is recommending the same thing 45 - 50 psi cold.

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
All of my trailers have recommended 50 psi as well. It's usually printed on a label on the tongue of the trailer.

MrMoose

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
It's the wording of "max" that had me concerned. Now, I know that "max" means recommended.

McMark

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Run them at max pressure. They run cooler that way. I've got 7000 miles on my 2015 trailer with no tire issues.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
The guys at big tires and Americas tires where I shop both tell me to keep the tires inflated to the max cold pressure. Went on to tell me that my stock trailer tires wore prematurely at least in part because they were uniformly under inflated.

rsg1963

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Tires carry weight largely due to the amount of air pressure. Higher rated tires can carry more pressure giving larger load capabilities. Construction is a player as well of course, but the air pressure does most of the 'work' as far as load. Semi-trucks are 110+ most passenger cars are between 30-40. Our trailers are at 50 to be able to carry the rated load of the trailer, and have tires that can handle that pressure and load.

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Agree the others keep close to max. I upgraded to D ply tires this year and they are rated at 80 psi max.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
What they say: max PSI, cold.
For most ST radials it will be 50. My OEMs were bias ply - they were always run at their max - 65PSI cold.

Joe Hellaby

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Mine where at 40 PSI cold when I got the boat and trailer from the dealer. I drove with them a couple short trips that week and everything was fine, I never checked them. Then I actually read the sticker and tires and they say for max weigh load, fill to 50 PSI. I filled them to about 48 PDI cold. Started my next trip, got a couple miles away, and it made my entire trailer start bumping up and down. Not smooth ride for the trailer at all. I think the tire pressure is dependent on what the weight of their load. I lowered there pressure down to around 42 PSI and the trailer has been running smooth ever since.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Mine where at 40 PSI cold when I got the boat and trailer from the dealer. I drove with them a couple short trips that week and everything was fine, I never checked them. Then I actually read the sticker and tires and they say for max weigh load, fill to 50 PSI. I filled them to about 48 PDI cold. Started my next trip, got a couple miles away, and it made my entire trailer start bumping up and down. Not smooth ride for the trailer at all. I think the tire pressure is dependent on what the weight of their load. I lowered there pressure down to around 42 PSI and the trailer has been running smooth ever since.
Interesting point and one I'd never considered, so I went to google it and found that Joe is likley correct - at least based on this info on the Maxxis site (radial tires...so perhaps not the same beast...but it makes sense). So for the 190 series boats with a single axle it might make a lot of sense to run the tires at a pressure lower than max.....

If I am reading it correctly (we have 205/75R14 I think) then an AR190 that weighs 2728 dry on trailer could be inflated to between 35 and 40 PSI....

Joe Hellaby

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
That's exactly what I was thinking. Per my calculations with a 192, dry is 2923, I figure I at least have a few hundred pounds of gear, fuel, beverages, etc. Which is where I got (my guesstimate) around 40-42 PSI. With a 215/D(orR)14 tires (currently I'm still running the stock non-radial). The 50PSI is for 1870lb max weight (per tire) I believe

rsg1963

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Just be careful with the lower pressures, guys. If you run less than max by too much you are also loosing your side-load strength. And trailers are brutal on side-loads (passing a semi, cross winds, corners, etc.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
You may have a bent axle! Also, most shops do not balance trailer tires, which is BS. I would be watching for possible uneven tire tread wear.
I would not run trailer tires under-inflated. Especially radials, especially in the single axle 190 trailer that is almost at capacity anyway.

@Julian I think the chart just shows that, up to the maximum inflation, the higher the pressure the bigger the load the tire can carry...

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
@Julian I think the chart just shows that, up to the maximum inflation, the higher the pressure the bigger the load the tire can carry..
That is the way I read it to....so if you want to carry 3000lbs you don't have to inflate the tires to maximum pressure. It was interested to see that when I picked up my boat it was only inflated to 45psi from the factory/dealer.

Zarrella

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
I always run the max tire pressure. I had a tire guy tell me to never go by the vehicle recommendations but to go by the tire sidewall. And to always use the max pressure particularly in the blazing hot South! Remember the cold weather will cause you to loose tire pressure as well.

rsg1963

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Julian I think the chart just shows that, up to the maximum inflation, the higher the pressure the bigger the load the tire can carry...[/QUOTE]
So true, I just got new rims and tires and the rolled them out to the trailer to install them. I had to stop them and they looked at me like I was weird. Seriously, just because it's not on the TV does not mean the vibration or wobble or cupping won't matter.

KXCam22

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
When I ran at a less than max tire sidewall pressure to test the ride/handling quality on a trip, I got some wicked underinflation wear on the tires. Didn't notice until it was too late. Now I run sidewall max+10%. Cam.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Doesn't over inflation cause uneven tread wear as well (I.e., in the center instead of the sides)?

Zarrella

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Yes you can ruin a tire running over inflated just as quickly as under inflated.