• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Single lever - twin engines

Gerrie

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Forgive naivety in simple question. If you were to take the wires between the throttle node and the connector, and split them to both engines, would you in essence create one throttle to two synced engines? Referring to the 2014 212X. Hope it makes sense. If it were that simple, I’d thought you could modify the controls to incorporate a single throttle with seperate levers for the two bucket controllers.

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Last edited:

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I use both engines around the dock, sometimes at different throttle levels. Using just one gives you a very gentle forward to reverse movement. Syncing the throttles was never important when I had a boat that didn't do it automatically. When I approach the docks with my X, I turn off the automatic throttle sync to give me more control.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
I usually just come in at around at 45* angle (nose facing the dock), drop the boat in neutral and the boat ends up parallel to the dock. I will play with independent control to see if I can do anything better.

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
My engines are hardly ever at the same position when docking. I can crab walk my boat sideways ( without lateral thrusters ) to get into position. When boating on a river you encounter all sorts of different scenarios when independent throttle control is necessary.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
@adrianp89 Since you have the magnum A K steering and the mega fangs.
Steering in reverse using separate controls is extremely effective. Mega fangs make more efficient use of the reverse thrust by capturing more and better directing that water for more efficient reverse steering and reverse , not by increasing the initial thrust but by utilizing more and wasting less.
Further the length of the mega fangs also increases the angle of the water exiting the nozzle to produce more turning capability so in most cases you will have all the reverse steering you need without needing to play with the controls.
However there is always the ability to play with the controls separately so you can spin, crawl, stand in place or creep forward.
I like using the slow crawl when following slow boats in heavy traffic like a small channel.
Working the controls will allow you to stand still or crawl.
Working the controls opposite each other will allow you to do a spin in place.
People usually look on in disbelief.
Since you are new to jet boats once you get to playing around with the steering and reverse control you will have fun showing off.
Not that I would ever do any showing off . Well ok maybe just a little because I can!

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Yes having independence control of reverse and forward thrust is a nice feature with the twins. Even better if you have independent throttle and bucket control like @Bill D has on his boat and a few others in here with the aftermarket binnacles.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Forgive naivety in simple question. If you were to take the wires between the throttle node and the connector, and split them to both engines, would you in essence create one throttle to two synced engines? Referring to the 2014 212X. Hope it makes sense. If it were that simple, I’d thought you could modify the controls to incorporate a single throttle with seperate levers for the two bucket controllers.
actually more complex (but simpler) I think this is the direction your going, gaffrig throttles,
https://jetboaters.net/threads/all-this-throttle-talk.7315/#post-126021

Gerrie

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Scottintexas: yes, have seen and read the thread on the throttle modifications. A bit to hardware intensive for me.
I don’t have too big a problem around the docks with manoeuvrability, but I hate the bump up, bump down to get the throttles in sync at speed. Will probably end up purchasing hydrophase ridesteady, but had a thought(as you do) of alternatives.
Was wondering if there was any electronic restriction or down side to splitting the electronic feed. Had a thought that it still leaves the two buckets as independently functioning.
Or maybe just buy an e-model.........like the wife would say yes to that one

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Scottintexas: yes, have seen and read the thread on the throttle modifications. A bit to hardware intensive for me.
I don’t have too big a problem around the docks with manoeuvrability, but I hate the bump up, bump down to get the throttles in sync at speed. Will probably end up purchasing hydrophase ridesteady, but had a thought(as you do) of alternatives.
Was wondering if there was any electronic restriction or down side to splitting the electronic feed. Had a thought that it still leaves the two buckets as independently functioning.
Or maybe just buy an e-model.........like the wife would say yes to that one
The Ridesteady is going to make you feel like you feel like you bought an e-series... for cruising, put it in RPM mode with the system off, throttle up to your desired speed, dial the RPM setting on the Ridesteady close to what your engines are running, activate the Ridesteady, move the throttle up so it won't ask for more throttle and your cruising. You can then used the Ridesteady knob to dial whatever speed you like with the engines PERFECTLY in sync. Throttle back to disengage or throttle back until it asks for more throttle and power off the system to disengage but maintain speed. Probably sounds more complicated than it is. I love the independent use of the throttles but I'd never go back to not having the Ridesteady (or I'd take a e-series...). Good luck with whatever you decide.

Last edited:

GoVols01

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
For best understanding of how to maneuver a twin engine boat around the docks, check out YouTube. I learned how to drive my twin engine 70' houseboat by watching instructional videos.