• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Sound Proofing

Norboo

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Sound proofing. I don’t think I can call it that but it does eliminate some sound and vibration. Enough that I cannot hear the engine compartment fan.

I do apologize for the lack of pictures. I did not think I would be posting since, there are so many similar posts out there already.

Here is what I did:
I covered the entire engine with drop cloth and tapped any exposed area so I won’t get any dust and debris everywhere.

I started by peeling away the black foam of engine compartment hatch with my hands and use the box cutter when needed (it's simple to do, just don't rush). I was very cautious not the tear the foam. Once done, I scraped the hatch to remove all bits of foam. I also sanded the area to be painted with SR.

I double coated the all the areas with SR. Note: SR is very runny/thin and need sufficient time to dry. (if I had to do it again, I would triple coat it and take my time. that being said, I am not sure if this is worth it). Once dried, I put Dynamat on the engine hatch, gas locker hatch and ski locker hatch. I have not finished all the exposed area in the engine compartment as of yet. I will be doing that this spring. Lots of little pieces needs to be cut and I need to take my time getting the little pieces just right so it looks clean.

I sprayed my engine hatch with 3M 77 spray adhesive directly on top of the Dynamat to reinstall the original black foam. Held really well. (use latex glove when doing this). I finished by adding 2 layers of 1 1/4" x 7/8" white weather stripping which I bought from Home Depot. I would imagine I would have to replace when needed.

Noise and vibration is still there and cannot be totally eliminated. It echoes throughout the flooring.

I think this project is simple and worth your time.

Here is a list of what I used.
Dynamat (bought from Amazon)
Acoustiblok (ordered from http://www.acoustiblok.com/marine.php)
Acoustiblok( still new collecting dust in garage)
Silent Running SR-1000 Marine Coating (ordered from http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/show_product.do?pid=11904)
Box cutter
Succors
Drop cloth
Masking tape
Dynamat 10007 Dyna-Roller
3M 77 spray Adhesive
1 1/4" x 7/8" white weather stripping from Home Depot
I did not use Dynamat tape. I over lapped instead.
I did not use Acoustiblok. Too much to add on and the weight issues. (on hindsight, I don’t think weight would have been an issue with both Dynamat and Acoustiblok.

I will be back with some pictures at a later time.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thanks for sharing!

steined

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@Norboo I'm curious as to why didn't you use the Acoustiblok? I am getting ready to order some for my boat sound reduction project as soon as I get my boat out of storage and am interested in your thoughts.

Thanks!

Norboo

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@Norboo I'm curious as to why didn't you use the Acoustiblok? I am getting ready to order some for my boat sound reduction project as soon as I get my boat out of storage and am interested in your thoughts.

Thanks!
My initial thoughts were to paint all exposed area with SR, cover it with Dynamat and cap it off with Acoustiblok. Roll of Acoustiblok weighs more than two boxes of Dynamat. You only need one box of Dynamat to finish the job but I double layered for the most part.

During the process, I thought the hatch might weigh too much with Acoustiblok added so, I left it out. I can always go back and add it but till someone proves it’s worth my troubles, I’ll sit and wait. Still learning process...

Noise level is tolerable as is.

Norboo

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length

Thanks!
How much are they charging you with shipping?

steined

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
How much are they charging you with shipping?
Not sure yet. I need to take measurements to see how much material I'll need. All they quoted was the sheet price and said to call when ready for a freight quote.

Norboo

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Not sure yet. I need to take measurements to see how much material I'll need. All they quoted was the sheet price and said to call when ready for a freight quote.
They know your boat size and already know what you need. E-mail this guy with your model and year and he will e-mail back a quote (it's all one side for our boats).
pgetts@acoustiblok.com

you can see picture of our boat, scroll down.
http://www.acoustiblok.com/marine.php

steined

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
They know your boat size and already know what you need. E-mail this guy with your model and year and he will e-mail back a quote (it's all one side for our boats).
pgetts@acoustiblok.com

you can see picture of our boat, scroll down.
http://www.acoustiblok.com/marine.php
It looks like they just did the engine hatch and fuel hatch. I wanted to line the engine compartment side walls and front wall for sure and I was thinking about the underside of the seat cushions and ski locker hatch as well. I'll email him and see what they say. Thanks!

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

dan144k

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Is there enough room to do the walls around gas tank area? Boat in storage can't look.

Sound deadening that much of the boat, centralized, maybe will absorb a lot of wandering noises and vibrations. Just idea.

steined

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Is there enough room to do the walls around gas tank area? Boat in storage can't look.

Sound deadening that much of the boat, centralized, maybe will absorb a lot of wandering noises and vibrations. Just idea.
I also thought about the same exact thing. My boat is in storage as well, but if I recall, the walls of that compartment are tapered in towards the bottom which would make placing the material at the bottom very difficult without removing the tank. I don't think I'm ready for that level :)

I'll try for the 80 for the 20 and go from there!

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Maybe this will help...
image.jpg

Not much room there, but doesn't look very tapered on my 2012 AR240...

Norboo

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I also thought about the same exact thing. My boat is in storage as well, but if I recall, the walls of that compartment are tapered in towards the bottom which would make placing the material at the bottom very difficult without removing the tank. I don't think I'm ready for that level :)

I'll try for the 80 for the 20 and go from there!
I was thinking about blanket the gas tank area with Acoustiblok but not sure how much good that will do. I think my time is better spent doing detailed work with small pieces around the exposed walls of the engine compartment. I also thought about the flooring in the engine compartment but I don't know if I want to tackle that problem as of yet.

dan144k

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Another idea is insulating the water box's, but which material would hold up is my question?

Or would there be a way to baffle (quiet) the exhaust, when it comes out of the water. Without effecting power of course.

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I was thinking about blanket the gas tank area with Acoustiblok but not sure how much good that will do. I think my time is better spent doing detailed work with small pieces around the exposed walls of the engine compartment. I also thought about the flooring in the engine compartment but I don't know if I want to tackle that problem as of yet.
Couldn't you spray the gas tank area with a few coats of SR1000?

Norboo

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I agree....I think the engine compartment is the most important target.

jetboater4life

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length

Norboo

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Don't we need some vents in our engine compartment?
You have vents under the rear port hatch. That'how the blower breathes.