• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Starting struggles

dexx00420

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I've done some searching on here last night and this morning with no luck so I apologize in advance if this has been discussed already.

So yesterday I took my 2015 190 out for the first time this season and things seemed to go really well except for one thing. After switching to my secondary battery while anchored, when I switch back to start the boat it just would crank over multiple times and really struggle to actually start. I am very stupid when it come to anything mechanical so I'm not even sure if it has anything to do with the battery setup or something else.

This was the first time using the dual batteries since I had them installed. When we started and while we were cruising around I had the switch on 1+2 and when we anchored I put the switch on 2. When firing back up I had the switch back on 1+2. I have an amp running but nothing crazy that would draw a lot of power. I also have kept the batteries on a dual bank charger since I've had them.

I'm not sure if it's the new battery setup or something else. I only have 15 hours on boat and had it fully serviced by my dealer back in October. The strange part was the boat didn't struggle to start when we launched rather it was after we had been sitting for a hour or two. Having a boat that doesn't start while in the middle of a lake scares me but of course nobody from my dealer was answering the phones yesterday when I tried getting their advice.

I'm supposed to take it out tomorrow but this starting issue makes me worry.....any help/advice would be greatly appreciated!

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Hmmm...only suggestion I can bring is the lanyard switch may have a bit of corrosion. Pull the lanyard and manually pull and push the switch to the limits of it's travel. Then re-insert and try again. By the way, if it cranks, then it is NOT the throttles needing to be in neutral nor is it the clean out hatch. Either of those would create a no- crank situation.

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'm trying to make sure I understand with both batteries turned on the boat started as normal? Only in the battery one slot it struggled to start correct?

jawsf16

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
You shouldn't run combined unless starting due to both batteries being drained, if you have a 1, 1/2, 2 manual switch. Run on 1 half day and 2 half day. Based on your description one of the batteries may be dead. Try starting each individually and that should lead you to the culprit.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Sounds like you have a weak battery. Time to get an onboard charger and keep it plugged in while not using it. That way the batts will be 100 % every outing.

dexx00420

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'm trying to make sure I understand with both batteries turned on the boat started as normal? Only in the battery one slot it struggled to start correct?
The shop who did the install said to run it on both while cruising and when anchored run it on the secondary battery. So every time I tried to start it the switch would be on 1+2. I hadn't tried to turn it on with the switch on either one or two.

Sounds like you have a weak battery. Time to get an onboard charger and keep it plugged in while not using it. That way the batts will be 100 % every outing.
Both of my batteries are new and I have a ProMariner charger hooked up at all times except for when we're on the boat. I checked before I left for the lake yesterday and the charger showed that everything was charged.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
You do have an issue then. Try the single battery start and report back.

While charging, the batt switch should be off so that the charger sees two seperate batteries.

dexx00420

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
While charging, the batt switch should be off so that the charger sees two seperate batteries.
Yep....I keep it off when charge....went with the dual bank so both would be getting a good charge.

Did the engine turn over weak or turn over normal just had a hard time catching and running?
The engine didn't seem or sound weak at all.....just struggled to catch but once it did it was all good.

xoomer

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
You shouldn't run combined unless starting due to both batteries being drained, if you have a 1, 1/2, 2 manual switch. Run on 1 half day and 2 half day. Based on your description one of the batteries may be dead. Try starting each individually and that should lead you to the culprit.
That's what I thought but I have a BlueSea 9001E battery switch and emailed tech support to see the proper way of using it--this is what they emailed back:

Thank you for the question. Please contact Yamaha for specific operating instructions for your vessel. We can only provide general use guidelines for a selector switch, which may differ from your manufactures instructions. For a typical selector switch use. One battery would be used for starting and the other house loads and finally the 1+2 position is used to charge both batteries or parallel the batteries for starting purposes.
It appears to me that he is saying use 1 to start, or if needed to start use 1+2, then run on 1+2 to charge both batteries, and when anchored use 2 alone. I didn't contact Yamaha so I don't know if they would give a different answer or not.

Devildog

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I got tripped up a little on duel batteries as well. When I get in the boat, I turn on both batteries to start and leave them both on until I get to my anchor destination. Then I turn off the starter battery and keep the second (party) battery on to run stereo, etc. Then turn both batteries on again when leaving. It seems to work, so if this is wrong, somebody let me know. Thx.

God our bless our fallen heroes!!!

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I'm thinking the batteries are a red herring. Sounds like the boat is turning over fine...not a weak turn over? If so, then there can be a separate debate over how to have our battery switches set. But in general you should only need ONE battery. So the purpose of the 2nd one is a backup, and to run your stereo while "parked".

Did the dealer fog your engines as part of the winterization? If yes, did you replace the spark plugs in the spring? If no, then you might have fouled spark plugs.....these engines are sensitive to fouled plugs. That is my best guess as to your cold starting problem.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Sounds like the batteries are fine with your last description. I would look into your safety lanyard having a proper connection.

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I vote plugs with @Julian . Cranking without catching immediately is classic plug issues. Invest in a new set and I bet your issue disappears (fogging or no fogging, in fact).

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
If the power to the engine is turn off and then back on again as in turning the battery switches to a different setting and crossing the off position does the computer need a few seconds power up before starting?

xoomer

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
If the power to the engine is turn off and then back on again as in turning the battery switches to a different setting and crossing the off position does the computer need a few seconds power up before starting?
My understanding is that you don't want to turn the switch from 1, 2, or 1+2, through the "Off" position with anything switched "on", including the engines. It's okay to turn from 1, to 2 or to 1+2, as long as you don't pass through the "Off" position. Not sure what happens if you do...

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
If you do go through the off position, then power is cut and then restored to all of the boat systems (including electronics), along generally with a little spark in the switch, which creates a bit of noise in the power line--none of which is particularly good for any of the electronics on board. Guaranteed to make something die? No, not really. But very possible, in addition to making everything run through the power-on sequence again. So therefore not advised, as I understand it.