• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Steering Fins

Floyd737

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I have a 2020 242 SE. Wanting to add steering Fins. Cobra or Thrust Vector?

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Did you try and search the forums here? There are many, many, many posts regarding this topic and information. Too many to list. A lot of good reads.

Floyd737

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I'm doing that now. Pros and cons for each. Tough decision. I guess it boils down to if I want steering assist throughout the entire speed range or just at low speed. Info notice at speed it takes about 1/3 movement of the steering before boat start to turn.

Maineiac

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
There’s many factors. Cost, ease of install, your intended use, etc. For me, I only wanted help with steering at low speed for docking and trailering so I went with TV. Other people want different steering at speed so they went for cobra. Both are good, just different use cases.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Pretty obvious that these are night and day different!
For your boat I will tell you what you are adding if you choose my system lets say the most popular set for your boat is the super magnum AK-19 deluxe system.
First it just bolts on.
Second it does not effect your factory warranty, and we never have you remove the factory standoffs from the reverse hoods.
Third this patented steering system also adds a PATENTED second tie rod for balance and redundancy.
Fourth the fins are tempered aluminum , never any plastic.
Fifth they do NOT hang down below the factory rudder and keel so no issues since they do not increased draft of the boat.
Sixth you have super fins with adjustments so the high speed influence can go from none to super just by where you set the fins as only the part BELOW the Nozzle is making contact with the water on plane. However when the boat is off plane ALL the fin surface is in the water for super steering in that mode forward and reverse.
Seventh there are also top fins for even more slow speed steering influence that are also not in the water on plane. And do not have a tail hook shaped cut unto them either.
Eighth They also have the plaining surfaces to improve the hole shot of the boat , to help stabilize the hull in chop and to produce a cleaner wake behind the boat for watersport activities.
Ninth this is also compatible with the new style of AK fang for a mild power steering effect.
Tenth the steering system is able to be set to allow you to make much faster high speed turns with less speed bleed off haa just ask @swatski.
Eleventh the system when set properly will allow you to make turns not only with power or while reducing power but even with no power, helps with picking up people in the water and avoiding the tow rope.
Twelfth is the ability to steer in rough conditions and hold the bow of the boat to cut waves precisely in wind and strong currents.
And the bad Thirteenth if you allow the wife to drive the boat with this system added you will be sitting in the passenger seat a lot . go do your research but be careful of people wanting to talk secretly because I have no problem posting for everyone to see and after 20 years of blazing this trail I am proud of the impact I have had on the jet boat world. Jet boats were a declining market when I got started making them steer and making drivers smile. Remember this is just one of the model specific systems I design and manufacture for all the Yamaha jetboat lineup from 1996 models to current models.

Attachments

Last edited:

Maineiac

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I verified with my dealer that both Thrust Vectors and Cobras would not void my warranty. No matter which you go with, you won’t lose your warranty.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
@Floyd737

So let us know how you like the super magnum Ak-19 deluxe once you try them out.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
@Maineiac I verified with my dealer that both Thrust Vectors and Cobras would not void my warranty. No matter which you go with, you won’t lose your warranty.

Yes that is correct and I have said that all along year after year but I think you misunderstood my message regarding warranty issues first I am stating that my systems do not void your warranty because I have so many documented situations where people claim to have been told by my competitor that my steering would void your warranty and there are plenty of posts over the years explaining the Magnuson Moss act on after market parts and voiding warranties those even go back to my competitor trying to prevent people from mixing my parts with his , but this is all before your time here.
Latest one to my recollection https://jetboaters.net/threads/cobra-jet.28908/page-2#post-502070 plus I have a file of customers who confirm this and other statements like the steering will rip your pump off I like that one especially after the wake steering fiasco with the fins magically bending the bolts during use even though they claimed that they were not in the water at speed my opinion of that system was they were the EDSEL of jet boat steering https://jetboaters.net/threads/thrust-vector-wake-update-deflector-lock-torture-testing.20861/#post-355768.
In any event I was confirming that my parts will not void the factory warranty and also pointing out that if you remove a factory part say some stainless steel standoffs from the reverse hood and replace them with different aftermarket parts should the E series reverse or any reverse for that matter fail to operate properly, Yamaha can refuse to cover that repair under the warranty if they can show that the aftermarket part caused their part to fail. But no they can not void your warranty completely. Hopefully this clarifies the point of the warranty statement.

Maineiac

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Maineiac I verified with my dealer that both Thrust Vectors and Cobras would not void my warranty. No matter which you go with, you won’t lose your warranty.

Yes that is correct and I have said that all along year after year but I think you misunderstood my message regarding warranty issues first I am stating that my systems do not void your warranty because I have so many documented situations where people claim to have been told by my competitor that my steering would void your warranty and there are plenty of posts over the years explaining the Magnuson Moss act on after market parts and voiding warranties those even go back to my competitor trying to prevent people from mixing my parts with his , but this is all before your time here.
Latest one to my recollection https://jetboaters.net/threads/cobra-jet.28908/page-2#post-502070 plus I have a file of customers who confirm this and other statements like the steering will rip your pump off I like that one especially after the wake steering fiasco with the fins magically bending the bolts during use even though they claimed that they were not in the water at speed my opinion of that system was they were the EDSEL of jet boat steering https://jetboaters.net/threads/thrust-vector-wake-update-deflector-lock-torture-testing.20861/#post-355768.
In any event I was confirming that my parts will not void the factory warranty and also pointing out that if you remove a factory part say some stainless steel standoffs from the reverse hood and replace them with different aftermarket parts should the E series reverse or any reverse for that matter fail to operate properly, Yamaha can refuse to cover that repair under the warranty if they can show that the aftermarket part caused their part to fail. But no they can not void your warranty completely. Hopefully this clarifies the point of the warranty statement.
Appreciate the clarification. After dropping as much money as I did on a new boat, I wanted to make sure any mods I did would keep my warranty intact.

I am fairly new here, but I quickly observed that there was obviously bad blood between both steering system vendors for reasons unbeknownst to me.

WV Hillbilly

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
Spoke to Jeff today and ordered the deluxe for the 195S. They shipped today…. So maybe by The Weeknd they will be here. I like the idea of aluminum fins along with being able to select anything between low speed only to full time even at high speed. I also think that anything would be an improvement over the factory only handling at low speeds.

I’ll post up after install and again after testing.

LakesideLaw

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Cobra Jets are awesome…. Love them on my 250

WV Hillbilly

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
Jeff said if I wasn’t happy, send them back for a complete refund. The guy gives out his home phone number! IDK how good they are but he sure stands behind his product. I am looking forward to the improved handling.

WV Hillbilly

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
Just installed them yesterday. The delay was on my part, I received them shortly after the order was placed but I have been busy with other things. Taking them out today, if the weather holds up or tomorrow if it doesn’t. I like the simplicity and the install. Had one slight problem but Jeff was able to help me correct it.

WV Hillbilly

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
Ok, so, I was able to test today. Coming off the trailer at this ramp was tight, no dock or wall next to the ramp, wind and current in the same direction. The new deluxe was better than great. I unloaded a new boat, this one actually responded to inputs from the wheel. My wife and I spent the rest of the day with grins on our faces… and then I realized I may have forever lost the captains chair and now get to ride along on the port side…..

My only question is: why are these not STANDARD EQUIPMENT on all Yamaha boats? It’s just so much better with than without. Thanks Jeff!

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Thank you, and yes I do warn people about the possibility of the admiral taking over the drivers seat however you know what they say happy wife happy life. And as I always say.
Making jet boats steer and drivers smile since 2001 WE WON'T STEER YOU WRONG!

Last edited:

Hugh S.

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
Thank you, and yes I do warn people about the possibility of the admiral taking over the drivers seat however you know what they say happy wife happy life. And as I always say.
Making jet boats steer and drivers smile since 2001 WE WON'T STEER YOU WRONG!
Hey Jeff, I am about to take delivery of a Sea-Doo 210 Wake. It is currently at Big Wave Craig's in Hyannis getting a refit, and I want to install the fins for slow-speed maneuverability. Should I use these, and are they readily available or quickly deliverable to Hyannis? Thanks! Cobra Jet Steering for ROTAX/Sea-Doo 4-TEC Engines

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Yes I have those in stock and they are time tested, sea doo has a very particular nozzle setup and their reverse is opposite of regular reverse so the nozzle is aimed the wrong way when you are backing up. I designed this system for all 4 tec single and twin engine jet boats years ago. they provide steering assistance at all speeds and they are designed so as not to interfere with the reverse, they actually stabilize reverse. Also they are great for watersport activities as they help plant the back of the boat .

Hugh S.

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
Yes I have those in stock and they are time tested, sea doo has a very particular nozzle setup and their reverse is opposite of regular reverse so the nozzle is aimed the wrong way when you are backing up. I designed this system for all 4 tec single and twin engine jet boats years ago. they provide steering assistance at all speeds and they are designed so as not to interfere with the reverse, they actually stabilize reverse. Also they are great for watersport activities as they help plant the back of the boat .
Okay awesome. I would like to purchase them for delivery to Big Wave Craigs, I have the 430 hp 2010 210 Wake. Just before I place the order, can you give me an estimated time of delivery? Do not want a surprise 'covid back up'. Also, do I buy one or two of them for the boat (two engines so I assume two?). And finally, just to make sure, these are the latest and greatest / what you recommend? Thanks!

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Had Cobra fins on my last boat (SX230) and thought that the articulated keel would suffice on my 242X. Well after 4 years I wanted slow speed tracking to work better (mainly for fishing) and figured Cobras would help a little. They helped ALOT! Far more than I expected. Happy customer here. (Install video is in my 242X link in my signature-if you are on your phone....turn it sideways to see signatures)