• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Steering (or throttle) issue

Mike Harris

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Hey JetBoaters. I was hoping I could get some input on what my problem may be. It's actually been this way for a while but, while I have my boat at the house, I thought I would see if I could remedy. Anyway, my steering is off. When running at any speed, the boat pulls to port. I have to hold the steering wheel or else I am going in a large circle. My question is whether this is a symptom of unequaled thrust or is one or both nozzles askew? The steering wheel is off as well, probably 30 degrees off to port when going straight.

Pulling could be due to poor throttle sync...but you should know if they aren't - just look at the tacs. If they are running close to each other (not 1000rpm off) then you probably have an alignment problem with the nozzles. Stick a couple of (straight) long pieces of wood into the intakes and make sure they are in line with the direction the nozzles are pointing and see if it looks like one nozzle is not aligned. You should be looking for one nozzle pointing out to the starboard side. We had an australian jet boat racer on the old site that posted saying twin jets track better when the nozzles are both pointing slightly in (pidgeon toed)....but never could find his theads on this.

Is your weight even?
I notice that if people all are one one side or you have ballast lean, that I have to turn against it to go straight.
also obviously check the nozzles.
Also i don't recall if you have the plates after the pump intake as a seperate piece but the 240's do and they have had occasional issueswith them as a ride plate forcing a turn like that as well.

Are the reverse gates even and out of the jet stream when in forward ?

I have that problem on my 242 also. Only at high speed though seems fine under like 20mph. There was a long write up on the other site about some others with the 240 series that had the problem as well. I feel like mine is only more noticeable this year however. Im going to have dealer look at it on the off season.

I never had an issue as bad as you describe but after adjusting the nozzles and getting everything pretty square she had tracked very straight. I never tried to point them both in a little but that makes sense kind of like toe-in on car.

remember the nozzles have some play built in and the water exiting the pump holds them straight.
So a tow in is possible but not as simple as one would think. The 24 foot boats had some issues with drag caused by the ride plates not being flush so check the ride plates under your pumps and see if the forward edge of one of them is a bit lower than the hull, this can slow the boat and cause it to turn at speed.

@Cobra Jet Steering LLC could you describe the correct position of the ride plates on the 24 foot boats. Should they be even with the bottom of the boat?

Even or a slight recess so they do not create drag, if it is lower than the hull surface it drags and turns the boat at high speed.

Thanks im going to check mine next weekend. Im stuck at work all week.

I aligned my nozzles by using a straight edge across both and adjusted until all 4 contact points were touching the straight edge.

I used the bigshasta method to align my noozles. Except I pointed theme toward center slighlty, people say it works better, gonna test.

I tried the stick method clamped to nozzle and was unable to find a good and stait clamping point.

Wife said steering was harder to turn than last year. So I took it apart and cables moved freely. So I took apart everything behind the steering wheel and checked and greased. Steering box says do not open, but it was safe to open. Just some gears inside. Had like thin white lithium, so of course I greasedon't everything with yamaha grease. Took pictures and will post a write up when I get chance. But need to water test to check.

I have noticed on my boat when it is windy and the Bimini is up I have to put more wheel in it to go straight.. I assumed it was from the lack of rudder effect under the boat... I also have a piece behind the wheel where the steering cables meet that rotates and creates pkay in the steering wheel.... I am not sure if it is suppose to be like that.

Cross wind and currents will cause you to steer into them.

Make sure you don't have a broken steering cable on one nozzle.

Back