• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Stereo and remote replacement for 09 AR230?

bthessel

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Is there a HU and remote that are an easy drop in replacement for the stock set up? I guess any standard DIN sized HU will work but is there anything I have to worry about with replacing the remote?

Weebs74

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I just posted the same question in the electronics forum...looking for some great advice as well. wiring harness looks pretty specific to the head unit.

PaulyB

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Weebs74

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
that is some very nice work...though it does not look like a plug and play replacement of the factory wiring. Def a little more work than I want to do this week. Where did you pick up the adapter for the head unit?

PaulyB

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
There was no adapter, I just cut the old harness off the old stereo and crimped the wires to the new head unit's wiring harness... It is a pretty simple process to do, the swim platform remote is just a single wire bundle that runs up and plugs into the back of the Sony head unit...

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Pretty sure the JVC and JBL HU all have custom wiring for the remotes, so there is no drop in replacement that allows you to reuse the remotes (others will pitch in they have more to add or correct me on this). I ended up dropping in a Clarion HU and new Clarion remotes (My install is linked in my signature)....not sure my Clarion HU is still available....but I wouldn't buy it again.

Weebs74

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I see the Fusion that is available on Jetboat Pilot, along with the adapter plate so that the face will fit in the console. Is there a remote for this stereo as well?? Shoot...just found the fusion remote on Crutchfield for 200 bucks.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I see the Fusion that is available on Jetboat Pilot, along with the adapter plate so that the face will fit in the console. Is there a remote for this stereo as well?? Shoot...just found the fusion remote on Crutchfield for 200 bucks.
Which Fusion head unit are you looking at? We have the older IP600G and love it. It is discounted to around $250 and will likely be discontinued soon. It uses the round faced remote which I believe to be around $150.

The newer models use the rectangle shaped remote.

Weebs74

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
does the round style remote fill the space from the old rectangle remote that my boat currently has...or do I need another adapter or mounting bezel? I wouldn't mind the 600 at all. The 650 is listed on crutchfield for $479. I don't need that if I can play off my iPod for less.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The hole for the factory remote is perhaps an inch or inch and a quarter in diameter. The round Fusion remote needs a larger diameter hole. I remember it being three inches. I replaced the drill bit in a 3" hole saw with a socket that just fit in the factory hole to enlarge it. We have been enjoying our IP600G and remote since 2013. It still looks and functions just like new.

bthessel

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
hmmm, looks like on amazon right now I can grab a Clariion m303, the MW1 remote and the cable for the remote all for under $200. It is used gear from Amazon warehouse but I have had good luck with that stuff so far.

Edit: After reading reviews and thinking about it more I think I should look to spend a little more on the HU.

Last edited: