• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Sucked up a rope BAD!

Mesa50

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Spartanburg, South Carolina Lake Hartwell/Keowee
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212XE
Boat Length
Well, I sucked up my first rope after only 5 months of jet boat ownership. Heard my wife quietly say…. “Where’s the tube”? One second later, a second “Where’s the tube”? At this point, I knew exactly where the tube was, and reached for the starter button, but it was too late. The engine had already stalled from the massive amount of rope around the shaft. My wife was still meekly repeating “Where’s the tube”? She never yells about anything. Yes, I know how lucky I am. I tried pulling and cutting the rope out, but heard the bilge pump come on, and decided I better just get back to the ramp. Dove under with a dive mask, the starboard engine was clear, so I limped back in. The bilge pump kicked on 3 times on the way in. This makes me worried that the rope destroyed the shaft seal. Should I try to cut the rope free, remove the pump, or just deal with whatever bill comes from the dealership? I’m worried about water in the bearing.

Attachments

• 2C871C8A-B11D-43D7-94AE-D7537F0138F9.jpeg
    2C871C8A-B11D-43D7-94AE-D7537F0138F9.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 174
  • 6C0A6E82-985E-4B4D-8247-1FCA735E400D.jpeg
    6C0A6E82-985E-4B4D-8247-1FCA735E400D.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 177
Sorry to hear this. The fact that your bilge pump came on several times is not a good sign. I’d start by pulling the boat out of the water and running water in the bilge. If you’ve got a water infiltration problem, doing this will show you where.

I’d then pull the pump so you can get a good visual to remove the rope and see where rhe damage is. With any luck, the bilge pump coming on was just some water in the bilge.

i had a similar problem 3 years ago, turns out the white sleeve going through the hull was cracked. I’ll find the post if you think that’s the prblem

How you handle depends on your desire and confidence level in addressing the issues. Issue 1 is the rope is in a place you should not be. Cutting it out may be a pain; but it just takes patience and attention. You don’t want to cut yourself or something you don’t intend. Issue 2 is the fact you started taking on water. Once the rope is gone that cause might be obvious. Some have cracked the hull by the rope growing around the shaft. You might be able to check if you are good there by looking inside the cleanout hatch. A dealer will fix; but since it is on your nickel, assessing the damage for yourself might be worth the effort. They will likely take a while to get to it.

@Mesa50 is this a new boat? What is that crack in the hull in the first picture to the left top of the ride plate?? Or am i seeing it wrong?
Or is that just slopped up sealant?

How you handle depends on your desire and confidence level in addressing the issues. Issue 1 is the rope is in a place you should not be. Cutting it out may be a pain; but it just takes patience and attention. You don’t want to cut yourself or something you don’t intend. Issue 2 is the fact you started taking on water. Once the rope is gone that cause might be obvious. Some have cracked the hull by the rope growing around the shaft. You might be able to check if you are good there by looking inside the cleanout hatch. A dealer will fix; but since it is on your nickel, assessing the damage for yourself might be worth the effort. They will likely take a while to get to it.
Still cutting. It looks like rope went up inside the shaft seal, but hopefully it’s my imagination.

Last edited by a moderator:
@Mesa50 is this a new boat? What is that crack in the hull in the first picture to the left top of the ride plate?? Or am i seeing it wrong?
Or is that just slopped up sealant?
It’s excessive sealant.

Attachments

• 8CC6A4B3-9424-46D4-A77F-E19D1577E253.jpeg
    8CC6A4B3-9424-46D4-A77F-E19D1577E253.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 159
No the other picture on the gelcoat where it meets the ride plate it is black

Untitled.png

I'll second @HangOutdoors 's question...

As to the rope, though, with it that close to the front like that, you might just pull the pump. You are going to want to get a good visual of that plastic fitting the rope is against there, and the best way to do that is with the pump pulled. And with the pump pulled, getting the rope off is trivial. With that out, you will either see: 1) the fitting looks fine, in which case you will fill the bilge with water and see if you have an issue (as suggested above) or 2) that the fitting is cracked or the gelcoat is damaged there where the rope is, in which case you know your issue.

Mind you, usually you wouldn't bother to pull the pump for just a rope like that, but now that you have the boat out of the water and have a leak suspicion, why risk cutting yourself or working in that small space. There is a pump pulling video in the FAQ, I believe.

@Mesa50 It was tough to tell from the picture, could of gone either way. My chest was starting to hurt for you. Very glad it was just sealant.

Agree with @tdonoughue PULL THE PUMP. Not hard follow the FAQ, ask questions and assess the situation fully, then you will know what you are dealing with, if anything. Also, it is good to know how to do that and can be done on the trailer at the launch and you won't kill your whole day if it happens again or something gets lodged in there.

I was able to cut through 3 stands of rope, from under the boat, and it all came off, and everything looks clear. I’ll pull the pump, fill the bilge, and take a look at that plastic piece after work tomorrow. The hull looks ok. Hopefully the water was from the ballast bag, but I kind of doubt it, because we didn’t start taking on water until after the rope incident. I just remembered I have an inspection camera for looking inside walls. I’m going to grab it, and peer around for a while. Thanks for all the advice on what to look for. I really appreciate it guys!

It is common that if you wrap the rope around the drive shaft enough you can damage the tunnel or the intermediate bearing but the rope must be removed. I would remove the intake grate so you can cut out the rope then inspect the fiberglass tunnel for cracks then check the intermediate bearing for damage by running a hose on it from inside and have someone look for water coming out around the bearing housing. ok posted at the same time if you have the rope clear it may be easier to put the boat in the water and look in around the bearing and tunnel for water coming in . if you don't see any then test run it.

Take your time and be diligent. Fingers Crossed it was only water washing over the transom.

Ok, if you got all the rope out and it was only those 3, probably no need to pull the pump. Skip right to the fill the bilge with water step, I would say.

This might be an stupid question but why doesn't Yamaha but a screen over where the water gets sucked in?

too restrictive. That's a lot of water getting past that screen at 40+MPH.

-and, not at all a stupid question.

I was able to cut through 3 stands of rope, from under the boat, and it all came off, and everything looks clear. I’ll pull the pump, fill the bilge, and take a look at that plastic piece after work tomorrow. The hull looks ok. Hopefully the water was from the ballast bag, but I kind of doubt it, because we didn’t start taking on water until after the rope incident. I just remembered I have an inspection camera for looking inside walls. I’m going to grab it, and peer around for a while. Thanks for all the advice on what to look for. I really appreciate it guys!
If you got all the rope out I'd probably just test it before pulling the pump. Pulling the pump only takes 15 minutes, but it daunting to some. If you add your location to your profile you may find an expert nearby who's willing to help (I've done this before for those in the Raleigh area).

@Mesa50 That is par for the course. At least you know you were not left out :)

Back