• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

SX 192 took on water....Solved..

jlcj7

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thanks guys for all the replies! Went out to garage this morning determined to find the cause, and after further inspection I found the left rear drain plug was only screwed in a few turns... :shamefullyembarrased: A total fail on my part. I confess I never checked the left plug, but only the right one. Also, the drain plug in locker was not in as well. Live and learn right? I am usually pretty diligent on pre inspection stuff, but just screwed up. I fly airplanes for a living, so attention to detail is the norm for me. I got lucky, and just thankful things didn't get worse then they did.

Wait, are there two rear drain plugs on Yamahas now (talking about rear under swim platform)????

Matt J

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Just to clear this up. The bilge switch has to be on at all times on the water. If the switch isn't on it will not do it's 2-3 min, 1 sec power up to check for water.

Switch off, no bilge pump.
That's the way I understand it. Someone correct me if I am wrong. I would be nice to have a auto feature as well.

Matt J

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Wait, are there two rear drain plugs on Yamahas now (talking about rear under swim platform)????
Yes the 190's and 192's do at least. Assuming all the newer boats are that way.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
The 19' boats have two plugs (one on each side) because the pump and engine is in the middle of the hull. The twin engine boats get a single drain plug in the middle of the hull because of the offset engines on each side.

That's the way I understand it. Someone correct me if I am wrong. I would be nice to have a auto feature as well.
The stock bilge pump doesn't have a float switch to be able to have it operate automatically when water level reaches a certain level. It just cycles every few minutes. That's why people install a secondary bilge pump that has a float switch as a good backup.

Last edited:

mraz72

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Yes, when you are on the water the bilge stays on. I wet slip and the bilge pump is on all summer.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Thanks guys for all the replies! Went out to garage this morning determined to find the cause, and after further inspection I found the left rear drain plug was only screwed in a few turns... :shamefullyembarrased: A total fail on my part. I confess I never checked the left plug, but only the right one. Also, the drain plug in locker was not in as well. Live and learn right? I am usually pretty diligent on pre inspection stuff, but just screwed up. I fly airplanes for a living, so attention to detail is the norm for me. I got lucky, and just thankful things didn't get worse then they did.
Your boat has more than one drain plug????

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Your boat has more than one drain plug????
All 19' boats have two drain plugs on each side of the pump because the engine and pump is in the middle of the hull.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length