• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Sx 240

Greg larose

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Good morning everyone so I went to the nyc boat show yesterday I've been gearing up for a hopeful purchase this spring .i brought the wife along and she loves the sx 240 as do I...looking for everyone's opinions on this years ...also not fully committed to lakes or bay water so I'm also interested how it handles on a calmer lakes bs being out in the open bay and ocean ...I will be trailering for a while also I have 2015 f 150 wondering if that have any problems with that siE boat ...I know it's a lot of ?s any input would be great Thank You

I have a 2010 sx240 and my navigator toes it just fine and f150 would have no issues. These boats tow pretty well. In a lake you will love this boat. In the bay's and ocean if the conditions are rough you may not like it so much but honestly it won't matter what boat your on if the conditions stink it's not usually a good time any way but this boat will handle those conditions. If my primary goal was mostly bay and ocean I would get an offshore boat but if your goal is mostly lake with a little bay and ocean thrown in you should enjoy it just pick your days well when you plan to go offshore.

I too have an SX 240 and had an SX 230 previously. They can handle coastal conditions and bays if your careful and watch the weather, and can handle any lake just about. But like any environment, you have to watch the weather. The 240 is an excellent boat. The new articulating keel is an attempt to make it more maneuverable but I think the jury may be still deliberating. The connext system is great but falls short of giving us ability to upgrade and add features we want in a boat. My 2012 doesn't have either of those and I love my boat. Good luck on the purchase and post pics!

@Greg larose. I do all of my boating in the bays and sounds of Cape Cod in my SX230 with very few issues. As @txav8r said you do have to be more aware of weather and sea conditions to better enjoy your outing. We have encountered 5 foot waves and not spilled a drink but 1 - 2 foot chop can be more challanging. Your boat is longer and heavier so you will experience a better ride.

I tow my 242 with a 2010 f150, you won't have any issues with it. The 240 is an awesome boat, you'll love it! We boat on lakes and rivers so I don't have much input on coastal boating, but we too our 240 to Bimini in 2013 and it handled the rough crossing very well.

I was also at the NYC boat show and Yamaha had an impressive display. I noticed they did not offer the 5-year YES warranty as they often do at this boat show. I only use my 240 in Upstate NY lakes and it is a great boat and I have been very happy with my decision. That said, the boat would not be my first choice for coastal boating, but many people like use them this way.

We use ours exclusively on the Gulf Coast and in bays. We love ours and have owned many. Your tow vehicle will be fine but make sure you have a five pin connector for the trailer's wiring harness, not the standard 4 pin. Also the round universal seven pin receptacle will allow you to buy the proper plug configuration as well.

One thing is for certian, you won't find a more reliable boat or a boat with a lower cost of ownership.

Can't comment on boat, as I am currently boat-less, and in the market for one. As for the F-150, you should be fine. The F150 is rated to tow more than anyone of these boats weigh. I have 2013 F150 with the 5.0 and it pulls hard.

You will be fine. The 3.5 eco is more powerful than the 5.0 V8. Tons of torque.

@Greg larose - I'm going to the Boston boat show in a few weeks and will be looking at the same boat. If you don't mind me asking - what if any deals were the yamaha dealerships offering at the NY show? Trying to gauge what I should expect to see in Boston.

@Greg larose - I'm going to the Boston boat show in a few weeks and will be looking at the same boat. If you don't mind me asking - what if any deals were the yamaha dealerships offering at the NY show? Trying to gauge what I should expect to see in Boston.

The dealer at the NYC Boat Show told me that the boats were being sold at MSRP with 2 years of YES warranty and a custom snap-on cover at cost. He said that many of his customers were disappointed because they wait to the boat show to upgrade hoping/expecting to get 5 years of YES warranty. Note: I did not enter into any negotiations, so it is possible that extra are thrown in that were not advertised.

From what I got taking to the rep was pretty much everything their offering online the different tiered financing that's ok their site of the 0 percent for 12 months the and so far as listed with 0 down for top tier financing ....form what they said their was no great incentive of the YES ...I believe last year around Memorial Day their were some great offers being put out hopefully someone else on this site can chime in on that

I assume you have no kids and aren't into wakeboarding or wake surfing? If you do have kids that might want to do this as they grow older...consider getting a boat with a tower now.

Best offers I saw last year were 2.9% with 5 years of yes added. It happened a few times last year.

Thanks for the replies. I'm actually a bit disappointed and was hoping that 2.9% + 5 years of YES would be available at the boat show. I almost pulled the trigger last fall but someone else scooped up the last 2015 SX240 from my local dealership. By the time they got some additional inventory in it was too late in the season so I just decided to wait.

Watching this thread. Report back deals/offers. I am on the sidelines, with no intent to buy until fall 2016 or early 2017. I am going to compare what they do with the '17's and then decide if I want to look for a left over 2016, or opt for a 2017 model.

Saw a 2015 242 LS on Irwin Marine's website so I called them to inquire about pricing for it. After learning that they unfortunately had already sold the boat, I asked if they would be present at the New England Boat show. The salesman said they would and then (amazingly) proceeded to lay out the deals they would be offering at the show. This is an outline of what he said that they would be offering at the show:

- Boat prices would be MSRP
- Yamaha is offering 2 extra years of YES (for a total of 3), plus some financing deals (not yet finalized). An additional 2 years of YES could be purchased at the show for $500. Salesman said this was like getting the 5 year extended warranty for $500, instead of the normal $2500 they would charge.
- Dealer offering a "break" on a mooring cover and dealer prep fees. Normally dealer prep is $1000-1500 and a cover would be $800-1000. They are offering both for $1000. Salesman said this was essentially a $1000-$1500 price break.

That's it. Color me disappointed.

While I have no reason to not believe the salesman, I am still holding out some hope that the deals will get a little sweeter by the time the show arrives. Or at least that the two other Yamaha dealers that will be at the show will offer something a bit better.

That said, I'm in a bit of a conundrum. If I buy from Irwin I don't pay sales tax, as they are in NH. If I buy from the Maine dealer (Long Lake Marina) - I pay a reduced sales tax (because the boat will be moored in NH), but may get a better deal. Likewise, if I purchase from G&R marine - I pay sales tax but may get an even better deal (historically they seem to offer better package deals).

Back