• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

tell me whats wrong with my trailer for my 255xd?

Wicked92

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
Growing pains on a new boat shouldnt be the experience im having. Im not the only one either, alot of people have gotten same condition boats, and poor follow up from yamaha or their dealers. If yamaha is indeed on this site, id think they should hear it.

The trailer was a general question because im sure no one likes to stare at scratches and ive owned boats before and they never marred this easily. Im not loading and unloading in water filled with suspended sand, ive even taken precaution to go deeper in to unload and load to limit the weight put on the bunks "sliding" up to the bow eye...still same result. Maybe the boat is on the trailer wrong? Maybe theres something someone would pick up by looking at my winch mount in relation to positioning of boat. Its only marking the very front of the boat no where else are the bunks doing any harm.

Wicked92

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
We had a black hull on our SeaDoo X20, and it showed like yours. I religiously had to back the trailer in further than expected, wet the bunks, and sometimes give them a quick hand brush to be sure most of the sand was out.

Sand would land on the bunks when we would power off the trailer, as it blew up the sand on the landing. Or even from the sandy parking lots blowing around. That's just a bummer with black hulls and not specific to Yamaha.

Lesson learned on black hulls, and nobody should ever hold it against you when you sell it. Most didn't look that close when I sold mine.
ive been backing in pretty deep to the point the boat just floats off, and when loading floats almost to the winch. I checked the bunks, they didnt seem contaminated. After the Surfix hpde bunks installed it scratched it on the first load, as i put them on at the launch after unloading the boat. So thats why i was confused. Brand new bunk slides did it, and it seems like its only concentrated at the front bunks at the attachment point to the trailer as if theres a pressure point.

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
the front of the keel shows these marks as its happening as the boat makes its way up the trailer. Visible just like the pictures show and was much worse prior to me wetsanding and polishing. Noticed it in my driveway when i was cleaning the boat.
If that's the case you're not sinking your trailer enough. I never power load, always crank the boat on to the trailer. I put the fenders a few inches underwater, pull the boat by hand (I stand in the water) until I can clip onto it, then she gets cranked up the trailer.

I have a blue bottom hull and have never noticed rub marks from the bunks when it's on the trailer. Heck, I just washed her last night and didn't see anything.

Crob83

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
I have them on my black hull on the underside, nothing visible unless you crawl under boat. I cared at first, but it is what it is since you can't see them anyway in my case

Wicked92

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
I was just asking a general question after reading your posts. You are more than welcome to voice your opinion. It just seems as if you are very unhappy with the boat & trailer.
If that's the case you're not sinking your trailer enough. I never power load, always crank the boat on to the trailer. I put the fenders a few inches underwater, pull the boat by hand (I stand in the water) until I can clip onto it, then she gets cranked up the trailer.

I have a blue bottom hull and have never noticed rub marks from the bunks when it's on the trailer. Heck, I just washed her last night and didn't see anything.
not powerloading, cranking maybe a foot or 2 feet tops.

I do EXACTLY what you do.

Heres what the hull looks like with the bunk removed as i change the carpet. As you can see its only the front of the boat.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Front of boat bunk removed
Totally normal....every trailer boat with bunks has this. Much much harder to see on a white hull, less easy on my blue hull....but still visible. Black hull...easiest to spot.

Put on UBBs or other smooth bunks - and you make the effect worse. I think if you find some thicker carpet, or just put two layers it will be reduced significantly (but not eliminated)

Wicked92

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
Totally normal....every trailer boat with bunks has this. Much much harder to see on a white hull, less easy on my blue hull....but still visible. Black hull...easiest to spot.

Put on UBBs or other smooth bunks - and you make the effect worse. I think if you find some thicker carpet, or just put two layers it will be reduced significantly (but not eliminated)
im putting thick carpet now. The shorelander wasnt even glued on and very thin.

I was thinking of just going over the existing carpet but then i was concerned holding more water and rotting the boards out quicker.

Glued this new stuff down, see how this goes with better carpet. Maybe next season ill try doubling it up. But change to pressure treated. This was just normal wood they used.

Wicked92

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
After redoing all my carpet today i came up with a possible theory why my boat is scratching so easily up front. The forward bunks are only touching the boat from midway to the front. 5ft of the 8ft bunk on both sides isnt even distributing weight. Everything thing is on a 3ft section. Rear bunks are good. Sure is alot of weight on a lil area. Rubbing my hand on the hull where the bunks lay on in the front i can feel a slight depression ever so slightly as if the weight is too much and fatiguing the surface.

Looking closer the only way i can correct is by getting the rear brackets a lil longer in height similar to the rear bunks brackets.

Shouldnt the boat be making contact with the entire bunks?

ripler

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
MasterCraft
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Get used to it, I had the same issue with my MFI trailer and Yamaha boat. The bunks constantly wore away the gel coat on my Yamaha, to the point that I had to repair the gel coat a few times. I replaced the carpet many times and the carpet wore in the same place every time.

Ericd

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
A couple of thoughts. Spray and brush sand off bunks; make sure bunks are soaked before loading. Probably easier to add wedge shaped boards to the front bunk (raising the low points) than change the trailer bunk supports.