• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

The Chaparral jet boats...

McMark

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I realize that this should probably go in the Chaparral forum, but I wanted to get some traffic into the thread. Does anyone have one? I have a Chap dealer within 6 miles. I've read things about draft. Do they draft deep? I'd like to hear some real world opinions from some folks that might have one.

I'm coming from a 42 year old outboard that I have maintained myself for years. I'm a diy guy and a little worried that a new jet boat will have me at the dealer more than I care for. With that, if a new jet boat absolutely needs to go to the dealer for maintenance and service intervals, such as some of the new outboards, I'm not sure I'll go the new boat route.

I'm comfortable working on any mechanical systems, but dang, there seems to be a ton of computer controlled systems in these new boats, all of which worries me a little.

This will be primarily fresh water use with 4 weeks a year (2 weeks at a a time) in the intracoastal and nearshore off of ponce inlet.

Thanks folks -Mark
Monongahela, PA

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Welcome aboard Mark!

Most newer motors require proprietary computers to diagnose and reset codes. Yamaha's are particularly easy to maintain and do not require dealer support as much as a Rotax motor.

Check your area for a yamaha dealer as I have heard western Pennsylvania lacks a dealer and you may end up taking it to Cleveland for service.

Edit###
My bad.... You are looking into chaps! I would stay in yamaha country.

McMark

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I like the yamahas and I've had quite a few yamaha products over the years. The closest yamaha dealer to me is in Maryland I believe. Cleveland is about 3 hours away. The Chap dealer is something like 8 minutes away is why I'm considering it. A yamaha would be my first choice if I can find one close.

Thanks for the quick response.

TN888

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
If your interested....the new Feb 2015 Boaters magazine put the 243 Chap on the front cover & done a write up w/specs, handling, ect, after testing.

thcole

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I live in Pittsburgh and have had my 2005 Yamaha for 3 years and have not been to a dealer. I think there is one in deep creek, and one in raystown if ever needed. Are you going to the boat show to crawl around them?

McMark

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I just checked. Deep creek does have a dealer. That's about an hour and a half for me, which is no problem.

Yes. I'm going to the show. Was going this weekend but the mrs hurt her back earlier in the week and wasn't up to it. I'll be there this coming Saturday earlier in the day. Will there be yamahas there?

thcole

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
There had been the past few years. I plan on going to take a look at the 2015's.

McMark

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Sounds good. I didn't realize that there would be yamahas at the pittsburgh show. Thanks!

GTBRMC

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@McMark, welcome aboard!

I crawled all over the Chap jets they had at the Milwaukee boat show last night. They look to be solid, well-built boats.

I would expect they draft slightly more than same sized Yamaha or (discontinued a couple years back) SeaDoo, based only on eyeball of the Chap hull lines. However, the actual draft difference among Chap and Yamaha would be insignificant vs. outboard, I/O, or inboard boats in the same size range...any of the major jet boats will have much better draft than any of the conventionally powered sport boats of similar size.

I took a bunch of pix of a couple of Chap jets and posted in this thread covering the MKE boat show: https://jetboaters.net/threads/milwaukee-boat-show.4384/
The Chaps were very attractive...I would consider them, but I, personally, prefer the Yamaha drive vs the Rotax.

McMark

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The pics look great. Honestly, I'll probably go Yamaha. The rotax worries me a little.

MikeyL

Passed Away
In Memoriam-RIP
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Hey @McMark ............ Glad you have joined us.
Regardless of what we say, please know we are all so glad you have made this decision to come join us.
And we really do not care what brand of boat you decide to choose, or none at all if nothing works out in your favor.
Hopefully we can be of assistance regardless of which manufacturer has an offering in the jet boat arena you like.

If you are looking at the high(er) end Chaparral, please do check out a thread I started yesterday, comparing the 2 flagships of both Chaparral and Yamaha.
I attempted to make it ACCURATE, and so far have put approx 10 hours into it. Yet that certainly doesn't mean there isn't room for improvement.
Possibly it can be of assistance to you.

https://jetboaters.net/threads/2015-comparison-yamaha-242-ltd-s-versus-chaparral-243-vortex-vrx.4382/

In the meantime, do post ans ask away and we'll always try and make constructive hints and/or thoughts.

Best Wishes, Mikey Lulejian - Lake Oconee, GA

And, oh yeah, @McMark ! ..............

+             CartoonWelcomeAboard 23 - McMark sm.jpg

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@MikeyL Thanks for your comparison data, it's well done and truly needed for new buyers to the jet market. If you have some free time, please post links to your thread on all Chapparel videos on YouTube and the Chapparel facebook page.

McMark

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
That was a great writeup. Thanks for the link and it addressed all my concerns. I'm certainly steered towards Yamaha no matter how close the chap dealer is. Thanks guys! -Mark

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Welcome @McMark. If you post your location (city/state) you'll be placed on our member map. Many members offer evaluation rides to people looking for similar model boats. In any event your best investment in a jet boat begins here with education and experience.

McMark

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Is there a link to the member map? I'm on a phone so maybe it's not showing up in mobile. Thanks -Mark

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The link to the map should be just to the right of the forums link at the top of the page if your phone is horizontal. If your phone is vertical it will be inside the three bars that are too the right of the forums link.

Here is a direct link https://jetboaters.net/usermap/

If you add your city and state to your profile it will be added to the map.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Scottintexas