• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

The official "What did you do to your jet boat today" thread.

jdonalds

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Likewise @jdonalds it is good to hear from you.
Are the engines running rough at idle or across the whole span of throttle?
Thanks for your response. Good to hear from you too. I haven't been on the jet boat forums much. Frankly it has a lot to do with the boat simply running when we want to take it out, and sitting untouched in the side yard the rest of the time. These Yamaha engines and pumps are so very reliable, and cheap to maintain. Any upgrades I may do this year might be to add a second tow tube.

At the beginning of 2016 I ordered oil, filters, and spark plugs. After they all arrived only then did I check my maintenance calendar written on the garage wall. I like to replace the oil every 25 hours of engine use, and hope plugs will last a season or two. Iridiums usually make it through two seasons for me. Sadly when I checked the maintenance schedule I found I only put 10 engine hours on the engines in 2015. I was determined not to let that happen again. Still based on that I simply took the boat to the lake and it ran pretty well, not 100% but good enough.

About a month into boating in 2016 I decided to change the plugs in the port engine. The port engine has always had an idle-speed shake, whereas the starboard engine has always run smoother. But changing only the port plugs didn't solve any problems. I don't care much about the engines being in sync, in fact I count on them being slightly out of sync to keep the engines from beating against each other, causing that rolling drone. But last summer I had a dickens of a time trying to keep them anywhere near sync. I rode the boat through the rest of the season (many more hours this time), parked it in the side yard, and waited for warm rainless winter days, to pull the pumps.

As you can see from these pre-refurbished impeller pictures they certainly DID need to be cleaned up. But this is an 11 year old boat, on factory impellers that have never been rebuilt, yet they look amazingly good. I had a Honda ski with a stock impeller that looked worse than these after just one year. Consider this too. I never pull bow into the shore, I always back in. None of my friends on the beach know how to handle the stern line when I've already dropped the Anchor Buddy bow anchor. So I typlically leave at least one engine running in reverse, holding the boat in place, while I jump off and sink the Slide Anchor Shore Spike and tie off the boat. All the while my impeller is being pinged by little stones that line the shore. Over the years I kept checking the impellers but they were always in good condition.

What I'm going to try in 2017 is to back up to the shore without dropping the bow anchor. Then let out stern line so I can pull the boat forward to drop the bow anchor. That will require some practice sessions to get it down pat.

Those are typical of five of the blades.

The two worst photos are creating the cavitation I'm sure. This one's pretty bad and must have happened in 2016.

Same with this one. It must have happened in 2016 because it wasn't there at the beginning of the season. Part of what's going on here is my wife invites friends to the beach. I launch and drive around to the beach and back into it. We did a lot more of that style of boating in 2016. The impeller damage must come from those beach events. In 2016 I didn't buy an annual pass for Shasta Lake because nobody expected the lake to fill. When we launch at Shasta we never touch the shore which is not very inviting at that lake.

I didn't take any photos of the rebuilt impellers but trust me Impros did a super job, super quick, and they came back looking like new. they are evenly finished over the entire surface. Impros has a couple of options, one called Stage 2 leaves the impeller shiny. That sounds good but if I really wanted to upgrade my impellers I'd buy new Solas versions. I put a Solas on my ski and they looked like new after 8 years when I sold the ski.

Your suggestion of taking the boat out for a drive before taking it to Yamaha is a good one. Who wouldn't want an excuse to take a ride? I'm also anxious to try out the camera I installed on the 4Runner to view the hitch ball as I hitch up. For several years I've been using a Swift Hitch https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000ZEON90/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1. The Swift Hitch works fine but I have to magnetically stick it on the tailgate, and keep both the camera and remote viewing screen batteries charged. I did a number of upgrades to the 4Runner, including that camera. It does make sense for me to change the oil, plugs, and filter before I take it for a ride. I'll wait until the air temp is going to hit at least 75 before taking a boating trip. That should happen in the next month or so.

I trust the local Yamaha dealer. My son works there and I know pretty much the whole staff. The maintenance shop helped me out by removing the impellers from the pump shafts, and reinstalling them a few days later.

d_coyne1984

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
What did that setup run you (if you don't mind me asking) and where did you order? I looked at the Gator Step web site and it looks like they have a lot of color variations, but they didn't show patterns for Yamaha. Did you have to make your own template? I need to to the interior first, but I love the look of the matting on the gunwales.

DavisAR195

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
MasterCraft
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
What did that setup run you (if you don't mind me asking) and where did you order? I looked at the Gator Step web site and it looks like they have a lot of color variations, but they didn't show patterns for Yamaha. Did you have to make your own template? I need to to the interior first, but I love the look of the matting on the gunwales.
I worked directly with the local Gator Step office here in Oregon, to my knowledge I was the first AR195 with their product and had to have a template created. The boat dealership I purchased from has a great partnership and dropped my boat off so they could build out the template free of charge. I'm fairly certain the AR 190, AR 192 and AR 195 all have the same floor plan but I'm not 100% sure. If you are interested you contact Andrew Carson @ 503.981.2370 to have him send the template to a shop near you. The cost for the floor kit was $558 + $40 for the custom logo and $98 for the bow kit. I attached a copy of the layout to compare to your boat. GatorStep.png

d_coyne1984

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I worked directly with the local Gator Step office here in Oregon, to my knowledge I was the first AR195 with their product and had to have a template created. The boat dealership I purchased from has a great partnership and dropped my boat off so they could build out the template free of charge. I'm fairly certain the AR 190, AR 192 and AR 195 all have the same floor plan but I'm not 100% sure. If you are interested you contact Andrew Carson @ 503.981.2370 to have him send the template to a shop near you. The cost for the floor kit was $558 + $40 for the custom logo and $98 for the bow kit. I attached a copy of the layout to compare to your boat. View attachment 52189
Sounds like that is about on par with the cost for Seadeck, but there is a couple things I like a lot better on your design. 1) The fuel tank hatch with Seadeck from Jet Boat Pilot; their pattern doesn't completely surround the latch holes so it looks a little goofy and incomplete to me. 2) The Bow gunwale strips on yours carry all the way from the windshield to the front of the bow were the Seadeck from JBP, there is only a patch covering the portion just in front of the windshield. I may call you guy and buy from him if he still has the pattern and can ship it to MN. The 192/195 are exactly the same interior layout so it will be an exact fit. Thank for the info!

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
@jdonalds I had a throttle position sensor go bad that gave me a surging rpm at idle. Does not sound like your issue but you may want to mention that to the dealership.

DavisAR195

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
MasterCraft
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Finally got the wrap finished today.
Wrap #1.jpg Wrap #2.jpg

jdonalds

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Pumps are back on the boat. It's getting warmer and there is a promise of 85 degrees on Monday. I'll change the plugs, filters, and oil, then hit the water.

ExATCer

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
This week I bought

1. SuperbrightLED setup for inside Boat
2. BlueWaterLED landing stript setup for my trailer
3. Trailer "goal posts" to help my wife land the boat (never driven a boat before)
4. Covers for thus quoted goal posts (skulls of course)
5. eTrailer spare tire and mount (thanks to this board!)
6. Lowrance Hook 7 Insight Bundle from RussellMarine

I have a BMW K1600GTL for sale and have sold my Goldwing because the farkle business was killing me financially. Looks like all I really know is farkles.... Oh yeah, I have zero electrical skills so thank goodness for YouTube and the kindness of neighbors!

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
This week I bought

1. SuperbrightLED setup for inside Boat
2. BlueWaterLED landing stript setup for my trailer
3. Trailer "goal posts" to help my wife land the boat (never driven a boat before)
4. Covers for thus quoted goal posts (skulls of course)
5. eTrailer spare tire and mount (thanks to this board!)
6. Lowrance Hook 7 Insight Bundle from RussellMarine

I have a BMW K1600GTL for sale and have sold my Goldwing because the farkle business was killing me financially. Looks like all I really know is farkles.... Oh yeah, I have zero electrical skills so thank goodness for YouTube and the kindness of neighbors!
Check the swag forum for a forum logo spare tire cover and stickers!

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Garage boating at its finest lol. Broke out the Mary Kate Ultimate cleaner and got the vinyl ready for the season.

Last edited:

Bennie

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Garage boating at its finest lol. Broke out the Mary Kate Ultimate cleaner and got t he vinyl ready for the season.

WOW!!! That looks friggin awesome!! Where do you get that cleaner from?

BTW you can come DJ on my boat anytime you want - I'll buy the beer! :thumbsup:

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length

jdonalds

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Uncovered the boat for the first time since October. My 7 year old son started both engines which fired up in seconds as usual. Gotta love those Yamaha engines.

There is a little mildew on a few surfaces. The boat needs a general cleaning too.

I changed the oil and filters and put new plugs in the starboard engine. I want to change the port engine too but only had 4 plugs and the port engine plugs were newer than starboard. I ordered 4 more plugs.

So the boat is all ready for a spin on the lake tomorrow morning. It is currently 81 degrees out, the first day I'd call warm in several months. The house windows and doors are open.

I had two covers on the boat. The 7 year old OEM blue mooring cover is just worn out and had two small holes. The after market cover is on its third season and was leaking. Two of the strap clips had broken. I ordered a new OEM cover from Yamaha Sports Plaza with a price at least $80 less than any other place I could find.

Tomorrow I'm going to call Classic Accessories to see if they can make me one of their same covers I've been using, but with straps that are 6" longer. The Yamaha has such a high freeboard that the 24' cover just barely fits my sx210.

KXCam22

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I cleaned the snow off mine. Cam.

jdonalds

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Here are the impellers after Impros did their magic.

Taking the covers off after five months and almost 55 inches of rain. We even had 24 hours of snow. I used two covers because both are at the end of life. The boat stayed dry with two but whould have been wet inside with either cover alone.

The Battery Tender Jr. stayed connected all winter long. The battery was topped off and ready for use.

Dry and pretty clean. Everything needs to be wiped down with a wet microfiber cloth.

A few places had some mildew which will require a bit more work to clean.

Sucking the oil out of the starboard engine. New plugs, oil, and filter and she's ready to go tomorrow morning.

The engine compartment is so clean even after 11 years it still looks new. These boats are so easy to care for.

The water will be cold so I can't really say boating season has started. It will be nice to get out on the lake though.

jdonalds

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Took the boat out this morning for about 45 minutes. The air temp was 73 (78 now at 5:30pm). It was windy and choppy on the lake. Whiskeytown lake was 50 degrees cold. My wife drove the boat for a while, a rare occurrence for her.

The boat ran as good as it ever has. Very smooth with a noticeable difference in power with the repaired impellers. There's no way this boat is going to go into a Yamaha shop as there is no need. It has never been in a shop for any reason, the trailer yes, but not the boat.

Yamaha Sports Plaza called today to tell me they can no longer get blue OEM mooring covers, black only. I could have called around to find a blue one in stock but Yamaha Sports Plaza price was so far below the rest I simply accepted the black cover.

I also called Classic Accessories about the after-market cover. I've used the same covers for the last 4 years (they last two seasons) but the straps that hold the cover down to the trailer are always too short. I asked if they could make me one with longer straps. No. I asked if they could sell me some strap extensions. No. I asked if I could buy some buckles so I could make my own extensions. No. I believe the problem here is the cover is designed in America but the production is in China. There is no shop in America where they could make special orders. This is the second time this week I've been bitten by China.

Bennie

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@jdonalds - I would suggest a local seemstress. Take your measurements and buckles and have them make it.

If you need buckles you may try a Hobby Lobby or Michael's. I've already had to replace the front half of my anti-pooling sticks fabric.

jdonalds

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@jdonalds - I would suggest a local seemstress. Take your measurements and buckles and have them make it.

If you need buckles you may try a Hobby Lobby or Michael's. I've already had to replace the front half of my anti-pooling sticks fabric.
Good ideas. Thanks

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Today I got the boat registered for the season. Double Bonus that this years registration decal matches my boat graphics :thumbsup:. Last year it was red.

Joe Hellaby

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Wow, every year in Alabama? In NY, our boat registration last three years