• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

The official "What did you do to your jet boat today" thread.

Shookie

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
While you were in there, did you do the light bar in the middle?
I did not. When the lights were on, that light bar worked fine. My issues were with brakes and turn signals with the lights on.... Lights off, everything worked fine. Lights on, and there was no change when pressing the brakes and the left signal wouldn't work either. There's a separate thread about it and some recommended changing the lights due to the LED modules. The wiring and all was fine.

InmyElement

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Don't make this mistake..I installed an additional ballast pump and put the rocker switch ass level..lol
So, asses kept hitting the switch. Instead of moving it, I just installed a stainless waterproof lighted push button switch to shut off the power to the rocker..

IMG_7931.jpg

Babin Farms

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Started installing trim tabs. I put as much of the boat as I could in the garage to be in the shade, close to the tools and have a fan going to help keep me cool. Made some 3/8” spacers (similar to what @zipper did) to shim the tabs down and that let me install them bent edges down. For spacer material I used HDPE(cutting board from Dollar Store). Tomorrow morning I’ll probably finish running the wires & installing the switch.

While I had the 5200 out I resealed the transom drain which had started to come loose and also took the ladder apart to see why it swings back under the boat when using it. Found that the pipes were smashed and the pivot bolt holes are wollered out. Found a replacement ladder on Amazon that’s almost identical to the OE ladder.
IMG_0645.jpegIMG_0638.jpegIMG_0642.jpegIMG_0643.jpegIMG_0644.jpeg

Last edited:

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Started installing trim tabs. I put as much of the boat as I could in the garage to be in the shade, close to the tools and have a fan going to help keep me cool. Made some 3/8” spacers (similar to what @zipper did) to shim the tabs down and that let me install them bent edges down. For spacer material I used HDPE(cutting board from Dollar Store). Tomorrow morning I’ll probably finish running the wires & installing the switch.

While I had the 5200 out I resealed the transom drain which had started to come loose and also took the ladder apart to see why it swings back under the boat when using it. Found that the pipes were smashed and the pivot bolt holes are wollered out. Found a replacement ladder on Amazon that’s almost identical to the OE ladder.
View attachment 205629View attachment 205630View attachment 205631View attachment 205632View attachment 205633
You are gonna love them!

Babin Farms

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Finished up the trim tab install. Had the perfect spot in the dash for the controller. Overall it was a fairly simple job and I’m glad I use removable caulk on the clean out tray. It made for an easy cleanup. Now I have to wait to reseal the tray until the new ladder comes in.
IMG_0648.jpegIMG_0647.jpeg

Babin Farms

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Installed a new ladder. The old one was wore out and swung slightly under the boat making it difficult for larger folks to use. Did some measuring and found one online that was very similar, just had to drill new holes in the mounting bracket so I could reuse the existing holes that had nuts secured in the transom. Not too bad for a $25 replacement.
IMG_0657.jpegIMG_0659.jpegIMG_0658.jpeg

Shack

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I got my trim tabs installed Thursday. Took it out Friday to test them out. Amazing how it keeps the bow planted down going through chop. Only used 2 notches down and I’m figuring that’s all I’ll ever need. Wife was even impressed! Went with the aluminum alloy and manual controller. I was a bit surprised to see a plastic hinge on the tab but I’m sure they have tested it extensively. Anyways, super happy with how they turned out!178F5472-C81A-4128-8BAA-DC6A979592BA.jpeg

madtom

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Replaced bad hatch switch that was occasionally shorting out in rough water. Tried adjusting it but it still would made for some fun trips when you have to restart one engine after every big wave you hit. Replaced other one just because. Adjusted them a little closer to the hatch lid (like a half turn more than old ones). Added 1 inch rubber stop to minimize hatch flex in that area to keep switches from being beaten by the hatch while underway. You can see marks on the hatch lid from previous beatings.

PXL_20230810_002424665.jpgPXL_20230810_002432656.jpgPXL_20230810_002455246.jpg

Added real temp gauges from trailtech with inline 22mm fittings from thermostat outlet on each engine. Getting tired of the weed alarm that stays on for 5 engine cycles after you clear the weeds but the pisser has water flow..... Now I will know what the actual temp is and can monitor for issues vs a check engine light that doesn't really help. Self battery powered and last for a while (3-4 years on my bike). I added 48 and 72 inch extensions and ran cables thru flexible conduit up to dash area by running on top of fuel tank beside other cables.

PXL_20230810_002623567.jpg

Only made hole in dash large enough for cable fitting and then sealed hole behind gauges with RTV. Painted red on right cable ends so I would hook correct gauges up for each engine. It comes with 2 sided 3M tape for mounting.
PXL_20230810_002404148.jpg

Last edited:

TimW451

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Replaced bad hatch switch that was occasionally shorting out in rough water. Tried adjusting it but it still would made for some fun trips when you have to restart one engine after every big wave you hit. Replaced other one just because. Adjusted them a little closer to the hatch lid (like a half turn more than old ones). Added 1 inch rubber stop to minimize hatch flex in that area to keep switches from being beaten by the hatch while underway. You can see marks on the hatch lid from previous beatings.

View attachment 206069View attachment 206070View attachment 206071

Added real temp gauges from trailtech with inline 22mm fittings from thermostat outlet on each engine. Getting tired of the weed alarm that stays on for 5 engine cycles after you clear the weeds but the pisser has water flow..... Now I will know what the actual temp is and can monitor for issues vs a check engine light that doesn't really help. Self battery powered and last for a while (3-4 years on my bike). I added 48 and 72 inch extensions and ran cables thru flexible conduit up to dash area by running on top of fuel tank beside other cables.

View attachment 206072

Only made hole in dash large enough for cable fitting and then sealed hole behind gauges with RTV. Painted red on right cable ends so I would hook correct gauges up for each engine. It comes with 2 sided 3M tape for mounting.
View attachment 206073
I like both mods. I have similar issues with hatch switches and was thinking about putting something on the lid. The rubber stopper on the bottom is way better!

madtom

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I like both mods. I have similar issues with hatch switches and was thinking about putting something on the lid. The rubber stopper on the bottom is way better!
It's the 1 inch Hillman Stoppers available at Lowes in the hardware drawers

1691706712855.png

drilled hole thru the middle and then used 5/8 forstner bit

1691706836305.png
to make recess for # 10 stainless sheetmetal screw
1691707214922.png
added a little silicone underneath after drilling the mounting hole between the switches ;)

suke

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
After about 9 hours or so she's ready for her first venture into salt. I grew up boating primarily in salt and forgot just how much work it is. Can't travel with a dirty truck so cleaned that too. Didn't finish till way after dark. Definitely tired of sweating. Heat index over 100* today and it sure felt every bit of it. Now hopefully the weather cooperates. Looks to be mostly cloudy Monday with 15-25mph winds and hopefully no small craft advisory. I think it'll be fine and we're staying inside the ICW.
20230812_182211.jpg

Alexegan88

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length

View attachment 206069View attachment 206070View attachment 206071

View attachment 206072

View attachment 206073
Those hatch switches got me and most new Yamaha owners. Could not figure out for an hour why the engines kept shutting off every time we hit a wave. When I finally did, simply tightened the latches and never happened again. On my boat, there is only one for both engines.

steelhorse454

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Suke-
Hope your outing went well ! We moved to the coast from Raleigh 8 years ago, and love it. We have a 2023 AR195 and have been out many times this year in the salt. Boat still looks new as you have to stay on top of things and not get lazy. I use Salt Away and many , many cans of Yamashield to lubricate. Flush, wash, wipe, wipe again, lubricate, lubricate again....It's work but worth it.
I also stay in the intercoastal and mainly island hop, or hit a restaurant in Morehead for lunch.
Nothing like it when a pod of dolphins come up next to the boat, etc! I'll do the extra work for the expriences on the water.

Jimmers

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Nothing fancy here but it’s helpful! Like a few of us, I am a few pounds overweight, not a flexible as I used to be and the knees or hips don’t like jumping around. So I built this little step stool. It’s heavy and just attached with a little looped cord so it’s very easy to remove. I had to make it this big so it wouldn’t be tippy if you stepped close to the edge. Now all steps in and out are just 8”-9”. A built is step like this would be a relatively easy mold modification for Yamaha, of course it couldn’t be as large but it would be effective

Update! Well, the bride hated “my step” said it looked like a mini casket, unfortunately she had a point!!!! I liked the step and found it helpful so I redesigned. Bought a white bucket, trimmed it down IMG_1685.jpegto size, filled it up with concrete. Works well, more stable than the first go around, she still doesn’t like it but says it does look a little better…. Over the winter, I may continue to modify so that it fits in a little better!!!!!

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Jimmers, I don't know your skill level, but if you have a bare minimum of tools, you could buy a 2x6, cut it into 12" pieces (or whatever appropriate length is needed) lay it flat, and stack several identical pieces on top of one another and screw them together. Trim the edges to match the profile of your top step, sand everything and round all the corners, and I would bet that would be acceptable to the missus, as well as blend in with the swim deck. Paint it white when the shape is complete, and Bob's yer uncle!

I can see it in my mind's eye, hopefully you can envision it too. My wife has no way to see these things, so I would have to build it for her to get the idea, but one 2x6 should be more than enough, and it shouldn't cost you more than a few bucks to create a prototype.

Mebbe someone can photoshop something to demonstrate?

madtom

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Follow up on the switches and temp gauges. switches are good. no more interruptions .

Trailtech temp gauges show 128- 130 while cruising at 6.5k. runs a little higher after you slow down 140 or so but quickly cools back down .
PXL_20230819_175929999.MP.jpg

suke

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Pulled everything out of the boat and gave her a good cleaning after a solid week of use. First good cleaning she's had this season and she was due. Waterspots were a pain after just spraying with salt away the other day and letting it dry. Never doing that again on a black hull.20230819_080341.jpg20230819_080344.jpg20230819_080348.jpg20230819_084905.jpg20230819_084908.jpg20230819_094034.jpg20230819_094041.jpg20230819_095845.jpg20230819_095853.jpg20230819_095900.jpg20230819_095914.jpg20230819_100109.jpg20230819_100121.jpg20230819_100844.jpg

Attachments

1WetBoat

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Pulled everything out of the boat and gave her a good cleaning after a solid week of use. First good cleaning she's had this season and she was due. Waterspots were a pain after just spraying with salt away the other day and letting it dry. Never doing that again on a black hull.View attachment 206814View attachment 206815View attachment 206816View attachment 206817View attachment 206818View attachment 206819View attachment 206820View attachment 206821View attachment 206822View attachment 206823View attachment 206828View attachment 206825View attachment 206826View attachment 206827
You've got to stop posting pics of your boat and how shinny and polished it is, not fair. ;)