• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Thinking of taking the jet boat plunge

Jp127

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Other
I'm on my 3rd season of boating. In 2015 I bought my first boat, a 2001 18' Chapparal 180SSE stern drive. We love the boat, as Chapparal is a great builder, but the boat is small and basic. Thinking of a larger Yamaha boat, maybe a 23 footer. But I have some concerns.

Do these boats really last? I see plenty of older Chaps, Glastrons, Four Winns, etc..., but how does Yamaha hold up (fit, finish, engine, etc...)?

I have concerns docking and loading these boats. Are they really that hard?

Lastly, can they take the salt water if properly maintained? We live in north Texas, but would like to be able to take it with us to the coast.

bobbie

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
We came from a 19ft i/o before we bought our 2014 212x. One recommendation is to start with fins to assist in handling. That being said....once we got used to a jet boat, i would never go back to a prop boat. The jet drive is sooo much easier around the dock once you get used to it. Our dealer took us our to practice around the dock when we got our boat until we had it dialed in. Another huge advantage is lack of maintenance. We do our own oil changes and the winterization consists of putting fuel stabilizer in and pulling the batteries. We just took our boat out after the winter and started up first crank.

We surf on ours and make a wake that rivals a $100k boat. Fit and finish is fine....certainly not as fancy as a cobalt or tournament boat but we paid literally 1/2 the price of those boats. We don't boat in salt water but many here will chime in as they do.

captras

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
You WON'T regret going JET :winkingthumbsup" I had a 21 foot IO Four Winns for 19 years. Loved the boat, but spent PLENTY on maintenance. Between seals and transmission gears and U joints, and bellows, and impellers maintenance was always an issue. Not so much that these things failed all the time, although some did, but you have to maintain and replace these items on a regular basis...and it aint cheap....and you cant do most of it yourself. Following the recommended maintenance for the engine and the lower unit was costing $300-$500 per year, and I did my own oil changes and normal pre/post season maintenance. In 19 years, 3 lower units at more than $3000 per....one was because I hit a stump, the other 2 were just wear and tear failures. (But hitting stumps is another issue).

Bought my 242 Limited SE about a year ago....maintenance.....oil and filter maybe $50 per season....normal things like cable lube, silicon spray to keep down corrosion, grease for the impeller bearings and most all other maintenance you can do yourself, and would be hard pressed to spend $100 per year!

Fit and finish....I have no problems with the overall quality....I am satisfied and impressed.

Control....I have not gone to fins....I think they are probably a big help, but I did research and watched alot of You Tube and learned to use the system...and it really does work well. I can far out maneuver what I was able to do in my Four Winns.

Fuel....I burn slightly more fuel with my jet as I did with my IO...but I am running 360HP as opposed to 260HP.....so not a factor.

Storage....it is incredible how much STUFF you can get in a Yamaha.

Reliability and longevity....Yamaha motors are known for their toughness.....they have been making marine engines for years! Also, remember that Yamaha makes just about everything on that boat (engines/hull/etc.) except the radios so it is a one stop shop for warranty issues.

Safety....no prop to worry about for kids/friends in the water....and with 16" or less draft (my Four Winns was 35" draft), shallow water and hitting stumps is not near the concern....remember the lower unit I mentioned above!

I would not go back to a stern drive....PERIOD! Yes, you can find boats that may be a little more luxurious, and with perfect fit and finish, but you have to look hard! I looked at Sea Rays, and Four Winns, and Cobalts! All awesome, beautiful, quality boats. I went with Yamaha's top of the line...spent way more than I should have....but the stern drives I looked at, similar size and equipment were $20-30K more! And I think the fit and finish of mine is comparable!

Not my intention to bash stern drives....for each his own, and I am sure die hard stern drivers can give you their opinion....but having done both, and for my purpose, the jet, and the Yamaha were the best fit!

Good luck in your search....you wont regret going jet !:Welcome:

Last edited:

mraz72

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
My opinion.

1. I would say the boats last as long as any boat out there - jet boats have less parts, less to go wrong.
2. Docking is easy. It takes a little practice and then you'll be an expert. I think the first time you'll be a little off, not much, and after that it gets better and better. It's all about blipping the throttle.
3. I think that is a downside of these boats, not sure. We do have a lot of members that are in florida. Maybe it's wet slipping in salt water that's more of an issue than prop?

For me it was the swim platform, lack of blades in the water, seems much safer for kids, ease of maintenance and care and lastly they seem to really hold their value.

jdonalds

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
My 2006 21' has been pretty close to 100% reliable. Change the plugs, oil, filters, and clean things, is about all I ever do. No annual maintenance required for an I/O. Pumps are super easy to deal with. These Yamaha engines have a super reputation for reliability. This winter I had the impellers refurbished for the firs time on the 11 year old boat.

Our boat is very easy around docks. I've had people, who are boat owners themselves walking on the dock, comment on my docking skills. But it is only partially me, the biggest factor is how easy it is to pull into a dock properly due to the maneuverability of the jet pumps. Jet boats other than Yamaha apparently are even better at steering while backing although I've never felt I didn't have enough control.

See if you can get a ride on one to try it out yourself. It might feel strange at first but that's just about adapting.

OCMD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
As a great band sung, many years ago.....get a Yamaha, and

Seriously. You won't look back. Turn key and go. Change oil and plugs once a year, whether you need to or not. Gas and go. And don't waste your money on fins. A jet boat, if you have any bit of skill, are a piece of cake to handle.

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Hey man. You know chapparrell makes some really nice jrt boats now right? If you are sold on their quality, Nd there is certainly a good argument there, then go test drive one if you can! I personally would get the yamaha and the chapp before the scarab. I own 2008 yamaha and probably beat it more than most. There are a lot of even older yamahas that make it to bimini or other destinations with more hours and lots of wake sports.
Finding boat in good condition is the key.

ToddW850

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I have a 2007 Yamaha AR210 and boat exclusively in salt water (Gulf of Mexico). We boat A LOT. I clean her with soap and water after every use and some times Salt Away. Sometimes I'll see rust stains creeping up around a hinge. Spray some Rust Cleaner and it's gone. Keep a nice coat of YamaLube over the engines and clamps.

The one issue I had to deal with that was probably salt water related were to the hose clamps under the swim platform. The original ones began to rust and I had a couple break and fall off. I've replace all of them with Stainless Steele hose clamps a few years ago and they all look great still.

When we were looking to purchase our boat, I was not interested in a jet boat. I wanted a bow rider with an outboard motor. But I came across a used Yamaha jetboat at one of the dealers and kinda fell in love after checking it out. Now that I have this Yamaha, I will probably never go to anything else.

Good luck to you in your search.

Scuba_ref

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I also made the jump from a 18 foor Maxum bowrider with a little 4 banger motor to a 23 foot 320 hp 2005 Yamaha AR230HO. This will be our fourth summer with the boat and it has been fantastic. I wasn't looking to make the jump to a jet boat per se, but I loved the look of the Yamaha with the massive integrated swim platform. I will echo the other comments about handling, it didn't take long to feel like I could handle this boat better than I ever could the I/O. I love the versatility of the Yamaha, I can go 0.5 mph for fishing, I can provide a decent wake to surf ropeless, I can pull tubes and skiers and wake boarders, I can back the boat right up to shore, I can drive it like a giant PWC, I can do all the maintenance myself, and I can definitely handle all the attention and compliments she gets on the water or even at the gas station just fueling her up (there aren't very many Yamahas where I live). I can honestly say that every time I go out I tell myself that I love my boat!

Jp127

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Other
While looking it seems like the 23 foot boats went away a few years ago and was replaced with the 24 footers? And those might be a little out of my budget.

Given this, how's the room on the 21 footers? Many times we have 8 people on my little Chap (half are kids so yes I'm still under my weight limit) and it's crowded as he'll. Will a 21 foot boat give much more room?

Also, going to Bimini is on my bucket list. How would a 21 foot boat do making the treck?

Scuba_ref

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I don't have any evidence of this, but I heard somewhere that the newer 21' boats have about the same space as the old 23' boats. Someone should be along shortly that can confirm or deny that! Haven't been to Bimini, bit of a drive for me, but i follow along in spirit each year and their are 21' and even 19' boats that make that trip.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Do these boats really last? I see plenty of older Chaps, Glastrons, Four Winns, etc..., but how does Yamaha hold up (fit, finish, engine, etc...)?

Lastly, can they take the salt water if properly maintained? We live in north Texas, but would like to be able to take it with us to the coast.
1-I just sold my 2005 Yamaha SX230...never had a mechanical issue...period. I thought it did once...was just spark plugs! WAY easier to maintain than ANY other boat out there!
2-Docking and loading takes a little time to learn...but once you have it....no issue at all. I stick it every time!
3-Salt water...you can't wet slip them in salt water for long (like over 2-3 weeks)....other than that...like every boat in salt water....normal care and she's fine.

The room on the 21 footers is pretty good. Also, you might find some other TX boaters with a 21 footer willing to show you around it.....check the member map in your area.

Jp127

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Other
I don't have any evidence of this, but I heard somewhere that the newer 21' boats have about the same space as the old 23' boats. Someone should be along shortly that can confirm or deny that! Haven't been to Bimini, bit of a drive for me, but i follow along in spirit each year and their are 21' and even 19' boats that make that trip.
I live in north Texas so it's a long haul for me as well.

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I live in north Texas so it's a long haul for me as well.
No way. I live in frisco. 1300 miles home to Bahia mar. There are people driving from Washington and MrMouse is driving from Canada this year.

We literally bought the boat just for the Bimini trip, so we are practicing/prepping for Bimini every weekend at lake ray Roberts. Please let me know if oyou like to spend a day at the lake so you can be a better feel.

Scuba_ref

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
No way. I live in frisco. 1300 miles home to Bahia mar. There are people driving from Washington and MrMouse is driving from Canada this year.

We literally bought the boat just for the Bimini trip, so we are practicing/prepping for Bimini every weekend at lake ray Roberts. Please let me know if oyou like to spend a day at the lake so you can be a better feel.
One guy drove from Washington...I wish it had been me!

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
One guy drove from Washington...I wish it had been me!
Still got 48 days to be you this year;)

If you really hate driving though I am sure you can hitch ride with another jetboater.

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
My Testimonal, on the 23 footers, you can still find good ones, 1 year ago my wife found our 2007 AR-230 HO, with 100 hrs. on Craig's List, I was skeptical of jets coming from a 25' Sea Ray Cuddy, But the swim platform, interior layout, 320hp twin engine jet and the color orange sold us. It was kinda love at first launch, started slow and grew into our boats potential. We had a lot of much needed fun last summer thanks to our Yamaha. I do my own maintenance, which is minimal, and enjoy upgrading/mods and crawling into most of the compartments in my now 10 yo boat. If you can find a maintained 23 footer, do not pass it up, my wife found a good one, and its been a blast.

Jp127

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Other

Seriously, I may take you up on that offer. Hell, I'll throw in gas money. We live in Midlothian, so it's only about an hour and a half away. Not too far.

Ironically, that's why I'm looking at a Yamaha jet boat as well. I used to think you had to have a monster center console with twin outboards or a yacht, to make the crossing, which both are out of my budget. Then I found out people are going over on jet boats, which can be had for tens of thousands less.

Even if we never make it over there, I'll still have a great boat!

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
kind of funny you think about fuel cost. all my friends think that my boats sucks water for running the engine, not fueling the engine. LOL Please don't worry about that. If I had paid something every time I had received help from this forum I will be bankrupt by now. Just let me know when you thinking about driving up here and I will be glad to go out with you. Right now, I am kind of working on approaching a man-overboard, so you might get a very good taste of low speed maneuverability.

PS. if I make it to Bimini and come back, anyone can do it. I bought the boat in October and I first took it on the water on March 31st.

Bennie

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I cannot comment on the longevity - as I have only had ours for a little over 2 years now; However one reason I did buy my Yamaha was because of the nice older Yamahas that I saw in my area.

Docking is easy - once you get used to it. Have you ever drove a forklift? There is a learning curve to learn how to use a rear wheel drive vehicle, but once you got the handle they are are very easy. Same thing - but different. Very different from a stern drive but once you spend a few times learning how to finesse it... you'll be a master.

Salt water use is not problem - IF you take care of it. I second everyone else on I wouldn't recommend a salt water wet slip, but a boat lift or salt water use is just fine. Just flush the engines and you'll be fine.

ENJOY!!