• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Thrust Vector or not to Thrust Vector a 252 SD

mspis65

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
NA
Boat Model
252SD
Boat Length
Looking for advise.
First jet boat on order. 252SD. I have had other boats a long time ago but never a jet boat.
I have seen a lot of commentary about Thrust Vectors and more positive comments then negative or neutral.
Given that this boat has Drive and drive by wire is adding Thrust Vectors necessary?

Thanks in advance!

They will definitely help with low speed maneuvers. I noticed a big difference after installing the cobras on mine.
I had no prior experience with jet boats either and it took a few outings to get the hang of docking and loading on the trailer. The cobras made the process easier. Learn to use no wake mode.... It is your friend!
Can't go wrong with the thrust vectors or the cobras.

First year owning a jet boat here, I have the cobras on mine and I’ve yet to miss my trailer with or without wind (knock on wood). The fins definitely help, even though I don’t have a sweet 252, they sure help my AR230. My jet boat handles better than any boat I’ve ever captained.

Drive the boat the way it comes from the factory first, you may just like it, then try turning and rapidly decelerating at the same time, once you try that also try making fast turns at speed like when you would be towing tubes and then try driving in strong wind , strong currents and waves.
Try tacking a large wave see how the boat handles at the dock and while loading the boat on the trailer, then look at the setup where only 1 tie rod is connected to your rudder and think how much better it would be to balance out your nozzles and the work load to both sides for improved performance, better fuel economy and a better top speed plus have redundancy built in to the system. Next look at plastic VS tempered aluminum , adjustable effect or just slow speed up to 4 mph then nothing and view where the fins are positioned in conjunction with the ground in shallow water. Also see if the fins offer plaining surfaces for faster hole shot and smoother ride in chop. Do they clean the wake behind the boat or do they create water spray. I would strongly suggest you do your research look at features and benefits. And then make a decision.

Last edited:
I took a year before I purchased TVs, to make sure I mastered the steering and docking of the boat, having the TVs helped a lot with slow speed cruising and being able to hand the boat to my wife or my son whenever I need to make any type of adjustments on the boat while leaving the dock.
It is a must have if you are married and planning to stay married!!
One more thing, if your are planning to add lateral thrusters in the future, you need to have TVs not Cobra as they are not compatible. (Lateral thrusters are the next must have on a jetboat)

Last edited:
Cobra Jets

Get the cobra jets, I ran my 242 a week without them and hated the way the boat handled on plane without them. I got the newest spring loaded version and love the way they make the boat handle on and off plane.

I don't have a ton of time in my XD, but I'll say that Drive helps a ton with slow speed manuvering. I think the cobra jets might make it track better on plane, but won't know until the spring:(.

Drive it first its going to be a little different if you are moving from an I/O or inboard.......the drive tech on your boat should be just fine it does have the large rudder in the center. The drive tech looks to use lateral side thrust for docking my 2013 came with lateral side thrusters and thrust vectors 4 rudder blades so I experienced only a small learning curve over my I/O my SX240 has vary good steering with all the accessory that were added.

Looking for advise.
First jet boat on order. 252SD. I have had other boats a long time ago but never a jet boat.
I have seen a lot of commentary about Thrust Vectors and more positive comments then negative or neutral.
Given that this boat has Drive and drive by wire is adding Thrust Vectors necessary?

Thanks in advance
Well this is my 3rd yamaha jet boat 252S and I installed Thrust Vectors on all three. Their is a noticeable difference
with steering at low speed, you will have better control . Good luck with your new 252SD great boat . Check
them out on Jetboatpilot.com ..

I don't have a ton of time in my XD, but I'll say that Drive helps a ton with slow speed manuvering. I think the cobra jets might make it track better on plane, but won't know until the spring:(.
That and a lot more remember I have the patent on the second tie rod and that alone is very important for balance, redundancy and alignment.
I have 20 years of experience in this field and I never use plastic parts. If your boat is lethargic in high speed turns and suffers from high speed bleed off my system will fix that real quick. If you want to be able to stay in control while turning during rapid deceleration my systems will handle that easily and if you want to be able to adjust the high speed influence my systems will do that also and My systems will not increase the draft of the boat. Remember the systems I have offer the most features and benefits because I own 5 patents with over 100 patented claims. And the 30 day money back guarantee along with the free domestic priority mail and the buy direct discount pricing with extra discounts for first responders etc. I have spring loaded versions and non spring loaded , because of how I position my steering fins most people don't need the spring loaded versions and I actually tell them that. Then there are also upgrades available for the systems as well. So base systems or deluxe systems with the plaining surfaces built in and top fins for additional slow speed assistance. Just a little common sense goes a long way when deciding what system is best for your boat and your needs. https://jetboaters.net/threads/basi...us-options-from-cobra-jet-steering-llc.16857/ lots of info here and remember the key words SLOW SPEED or AT THE DOCK and ALL TIME STEERING ASSISTANCE even OFF POWER STEERING ASSISTANCE
red letters apply to both systems but the blue letters only apply to my systems.

Attachments

• super magnum ak-19 deluxe on customers boat.jpg
    super magnum ak-19 deluxe on customers boat.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 37
  • super ultimate ak-19 deluxe on another customers boat.jpg
    super ultimate ak-19 deluxe on another customers boat.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 34
Last edited:
Looking for advise.

Thanks in advance!
Well this is my 3rd yamaha jet boat 252S and I installed Thrust Vectors on all three. Their is a noticeable difference
with steering at low speed, you will have better control . Good luck with your new 252SD great boat . Check
them out on Jetboatpilot.com ..
If you have any questions at jetboatpilot.com ask to speak to Will the owner he is very helpful

If you have any question about any of the numerous model specific steering systems from Cobra Jet Steering just ask ME, I started this 20 years ago I am the innovator of after market jet boat and p w c steering systems who better to talk to than the inventor .
I put my home phone number and my direct email address on my web page etc And I always have.

The dealer suggested I install "fins" when I purchased my AR250. They did not give me a choice and installed thrust vectors. They have worked well however I do notice that coming off alot throttle the boat lacks control where the people who have used the Cobra system share a much improved control experience. I don't have the Dive system on my AR250 but having drivin jet boats with them and without I would recommend adding something.

I appreciate all of the feedback.
now I just need to get the boat! They are still saying August 2022. Argh!

I appreciate all of the feedback.
now I just need to get the boat! They are still saying August 2022. Argh!
It took 8 months for my yamaha 2021,, 252S , but it was worth waiting for, great boat..

I fought the idea of aftermarket steering for the first few hours on my 252SD, relying on the "keel" and drive system. I quickly bought and tried both systems; Vectors and Cobras. Both systems GREATLY improve slow maneuvering. I posted my findings here. If you want more detail on my experience with both systems, feel free to message me. I'm happy to offer my opinion.

I only this year put Cobras on my 2016 242X. I added them for low speed tracking (trolling) and they make a significant difference. Much less steering input required now! I waited because I thought the rudder would be enough...I was wrong.

Just an fyi, i have a set of almost new thrust vectors for sale in the classifieds. Only used about 4 mos.

Back