• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Tire Pressure

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have an 06 MFI trailer. I just had all the tire stems replaced. The garage filled the tires to the max 50psi. I'm sure the normal running pressure is less but my trailer manual doesn't have any info. Does anybody know the correct pressure?

Boat Crazy

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Check your tire max pressure located on the tire sidewall. I suspect it will say 50 p.s.i. max pressure when cold. I constantly run 50 p.s.i. That pressure should be correct.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thanks for the quick reply guys. Yes, the sidewall does say 50psi MAX. I figured that will increase well past 50psi with summer heat and road friction so I figured it should be something less than the max posted as it is on our cars.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I ran 50psi in my MFI for 4 years...except for when we had 100+ degree temps. I reduced it to 45 psi in the hot summers. The dealership where I picked up my 240, filled them all to 45 psi even thought I had told them to check them to 50 psi. I took it home that way. But I think 50 has been a pretty steady norm when temps are not extreme.

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Ok, 50 it is. Thanks again guys.

KXCam22

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My trailer likes 45psi. Cam.

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

Zarrella

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
I run 50 psi in all of my trailers. My work trailer sees 200 miles a day on the interstate and I would never let them run less, I feel it keeps them cooler.

Papa

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
50 PSI on my trailers also.

KXCam22

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
That's funny! No one here understands kilopascals either. Those side-by-each guys are way back east anyway. It is an american trailer but seems to bounce around less at 45psi. It's handles best when I set them to 2327.175 Torrs. Maybe I should try 3.402 atm this year. Cam

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
If it's a MFI trailer there should be a metal plate or sticker on the tongue that lists the recommended pressures and GVW.

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
If it's a MFI trailer there should be a metal plate or sticker on the tongue that lists the recommended pressures and GVW.
I looked for that @Murf'n'surf but may have missed it as the boat is still covered up. I'll be out there today getting her undressed and ready for Memorial Day so I will look closer. Thanks

KXCam22

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The recommended is not always best. My Tundra says 32psi but needs at least 45 to keep from wallowing. The tire shops will set pressure base on how the tread sits on the road, on a truck anyway. Cam.

beachbum

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
So... I just picked up my boat Wednesday... the techs said the tires were checked and require 30 PSI... i didn't read the tire ... just took a mental note...

Later in my garage... i look at the wheel and it says max. 50 PSI... so the dealer tech was WRONG !!! that makes me nervous. Just prior to that they shut off the motor ... THEN shut off the water... I had to correct them on that one... What the hell!!

This shorelandr (made in the USA) has surge breaks and its painted ... seems to work well for the boat .

What is the consensus here guys ??... keep pressure at 4 lbs below max. when tested COLD ... or is it all temperature and travel distance dependent?

Boat Crazy

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So... I just picked up my boat Wednesday... the techs said the tires were checked and require 30 PSI... i didn't read the tire ... just took a mental note...

Later in my garage... i look at the wheel and it says max. 50 PSI... so the dealer tech was WRONG !!! that makes me nervous. Just prior to that they shut off the motor ... THEN shut off the water... I had to correct them on that one... What the hell!!

This shorelandr (made in the USA) has surge breaks and its painted ... seems to work well for the boat .

What is the consensus here guys ??... keep pressure at 4 lbs below max. when tested COLD ... or is it all temperature and travel distance dependent?
Max pressure cold 50 is just that, add to 50 p.s.i. When the tire is cold. Yes, the pressure will increase slightly when it warms up but that is accounted for when they recommend p.s.i. Will 2 pounds lower give you a problem? Most likely no. Tires will, however, heat up faster and cause more damage with too low a pressure. ..... As for your dealership, they do not seem very educated on the product they sell. ... Have said this many times, this site will give you more knowledge and known experience than any known dealership out there. Do the members know everything? No, but combined the knowledge is fantastic. I would be hesitant to have that dealership work on my boat based on your comment above.

Boat Crazy

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
To add to the above, whether you chose to run slightly less air pressure or not, it is very important that all tire pressures are the same, especially on a dual axle trailer.

maboat

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Max pressure cold 50 is just that, add to 50 p.s.i. When the tire is cold. Yes, the pressure will increase slightly when it warms up but that is accounted for when they recommend p.s.i. Will 2 pounds lower give you a problem? Most likely no. Tires will, however, heat up faster and cause more damage with too low a pressure. ......
I agree completely. 50psi max COLD does not mean 50psi MAX under all conditions. It only means 50psi max when COLD, period. That cold pressure number already accounts for higher pressure when the tire is hot.

The important part (that @Boat Crazy said) is tires will heat up faster and wear out faster with too low a pressure.

Last edited:

beachbum

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
OK... gotta confess, I miss some details when I read sometimes... especially upside down and sideways embossed black text on a black tire...

so... this trailer tire 14 in. rim (?) says max 1760 lbs. load at 50 psi COLD

then... in a big paragraph of text ... that I didn't read... I see 32 psi MAX inflation ... I think that is where the tech at the dealer got 30 ... get this though... i just read them both with gauge ... they are at 37 psi...

Now... I have to laugh.