• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Tow Vehicle Dilemma...

King

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Well, it's done.

I went for Team Tundra.

Test drove at Carmax and was blown away at how rude and shitty people can be. Got the feeling that if the worst DMV outlet in the world sold cars, it would be called Carmax. But, was able to test drive the 2016 Tundra Platinum as well as a 2019 RAM 1500 with the rear end that allowed for over 11k towing. The RAM was amazingly impressive and would give you whiplash at the slightest touch of the pedal. Though, the previous owner was a chain smoker and there was nothing their detail crew could do to hide that. That aside, I liked it a lot. But, at the end of the day, a 2020 Toyota Tundra 1794 won us over at an old school Rick Hendrick dealership. Got an amazing price for both the Tundra and our trade vehicle. I so wanted to warm up to the RAM but, with it being a used vehicle situation, I didn't want to find out in a couple of years what that transmission shifter knob or the servo motors at the other end cost had they gone out. I just felt more comfortable in the Tundra. Not that the RAM was bad in any way at all... The Tundra just fit better, if that makes sense.

At the end of the day, both are very fine vehicles. Either would have served our purposes well, to say the least. In fact, it being such a coin toss between the two is what caused me to ask the group. Thank you all for your input on this.

We're headed to the lake first thing in the morning.

:cool:

King

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Congrats on finding the right fit for you. As long as you feel comfortable with the vehicle and deal is what matters at the end of the day.
Thank you.

:)

Thermobrett

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
I had the 4.8 in my 2012 Silverado. It was a dog, couldn’t get out of its own way. I know from previous experience with my 99 Durango back in the day Dodge was terrible for transmissions and front ends. I believe they have come along way since the last 90s. I like the ram design and with the tundra, you usually have to pay a significant more for a better trim level, not sure how that cost transfers down seeing it’s used, but I think either way, you won’t be disappointed. We have a 2022 Yukon XL with the 5.3, and it pulls the boat down the road no problem.

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I had the 4.8 in my 2012 Silverado. It was a dog, couldn’t get out of its own way. I know from previous experience with my 99 Durango back in the day Dodge was terrible for transmissions and front ends. I believe they have come along way since the last 90s. I like the ram design and with the tundra, you usually have to pay a significant more for a better trim level, not sure how that cost transfers down seeing it’s used, but I think either way, you won’t be disappointed. We have a 2022 Yukon XL with the 5.3, and it pulls the boat down the road no problem.
Ram uses the same ZF 8 speed that, well, basically everyone but Mercedes, Gm, and Ford use. Ford and GM use their shared 10 speed, and mercedes uses its own weirdo transmissions.

The ZF 8 speed is in everything from a ram to a jeep to porsches and rolls royce and bmw. They're great transmissions, arguably the best on the market right now.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Well, it's done.

I went for Team Tundra.

Test drove at Carmax and was blown away at how rude and shitty people can be. Got the feeling that if the worst DMV outlet in the world sold cars, it would be called Carmax. But, was able to test drive the 2016 Tundra Platinum as well as a 2019 RAM 1500 with the rear end that allowed for over 11k towing. The RAM was amazingly impressive and would give you whiplash at the slightest touch of the pedal. Though, the previous owner was a chain smoker and there was nothing their detail crew could do to hide that. That aside, I liked it a lot. But, at the end of the day, a 2020 Toyota Tundra 1794 won us over at an old school Rick Hendrick dealership. Got an amazing price for both the Tundra and our trade vehicle. I so wanted to warm up to the RAM but, with it being a used vehicle situation, I didn't want to find out in a couple of years what that transmission shifter knob or the servo motors at the other end cost had they gone out. I just felt more comfortable in the Tundra. Not that the RAM was bad in any way at all... The Tundra just fit better, if that makes sense.

At the end of the day, both are very fine vehicles. Either would have served our purposes well, to say the least. In fact, it being such a coin toss between the two is what caused me to ask the group. Thank you all for your input on this.

9FDEE6DD-C104-44AD-8ECF-C31FCF631DAD.jpeg

My friend has the 1794 edition … it is a very very nice truck. If you want a little he manness you can put the TRD exhaust on it and it will have a nice throaty sound that will not override conversation in the cab…

How many miles on the 2020?

Jim_in_Delaware

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Glad to hear you find a new TV that you really like! :winkingthumbsup"

Don't forget to post some pics in the TV thread so that we can see what you got!

Jim

I_squared_r

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Well, it's done.

I went for Team Tundra.

Congrats on the new truck. I think it's a good time to trade in for full size trucks. I drove past a lot of dealerships today and there was a lot of full size trucks in front. I went to a dealership with a 2020 RAM 1500 Laramie fully loaded, 19k miles, certified preowned, and $3k under book value. I took it for a drive and was blown away by the luxury and comfort. They gave me a decent trade in offer for my Tacoma. Tomorrow morning I go on a search for a good rate.. My credit union advertises used car loans as low as 2.69% .. That would be incredible considering CD rates are now 2.6%+

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Congrats on the new truck. I think it's a good time to trade in for full size trucks. I drove past a lot of dealerships today and there was a lot of full size trucks in front. I went to a dealership with a 2020 RAM 1500 Laramie fully loaded, 19k miles, certified preowned, and $3k under book value. I took it for a drive and was blown away by the luxury and comfort. They gave me a decent trade in offer for my Tacoma. Tomorrow morning I go on a search for a good rate.. My credit union advertises used car loans as low as 2.69% .. That would be incredible considering CD rates are now 2.6%+
If you don't mind what was the price circa they were working with? I was seeing them for around $40k - 42kish same year. I am starting to look at trucks again. Will keep my Expedition, which just hit 105,000 for just when I need to have 8 people, but any other time and my daily driver I want a truck again. I was looking at them a while back but the prices and lead times were ridiculous.

portlandbucfan

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
Love my Tundra. If you plan to keep a vehicle awhile Toyota is tough to beat. If you like getting new vehicles every few years then go for whatever you feel is best. I prefer keeping vehicles awhile and value long term reliability over frills and gadgets.

King

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
If you don't mind what was the price circa they were working with? I was seeing them for around $40k - 42kish same year. I am starting to look at trucks again. Will keep my Expedition, which just hit 105,000 for just when I need to have 8 people, but any other time and my daily driver I want a truck again. I was looking at them a while back but the prices and lead times were ridiculous.
It's got a few more miles on it than others its year (89k) due to it previously being a corporate vehicle for someone locally who traveled to Orlando and back on a weekly basis. It's maintenance records were stellar and they certified it by throwing in a 3y/36k warranty. The dealer we got it from had sold it originally and did all of the maintenance on it. That and it being a Toyota, took the sting out of it having high mileage. We (my wife mostly) were able to get them down to the upper 30's by the end of it.

#FSH195Sport

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I would like to be in the 30's somewhere, tbh. Thought about just leasing a new one, the dealerships lost their minds with the prices and fees.

King

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I would like to be in the 30's somewhere, tbh. Thought about just leasing a new one, the dealerships lost their minds with the prices and fees.
AT the end of it, we did feel that the price was fair for sure. As for the fees... That's my wife's department. She's a Business Banking Center Manager and eats, breathes, and sleeps that stuff. She brow beat them in to removing a ton of that stuff. I always thought I was good at the back room tango in buying a car until the first time her and I went together to get one. She knocked my socks off.

I_squared_r

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I never saw a Laramie that cheap unless it had 75k+ miles. Well equipped Big horns can be found for $40k-42k and I looked at a 2019 RAM 1500 big horn 30k miles, level 2 package, LED lights package, 33 gallon tank and they wanted $42k. That was my first choice but it was taken. They had Laramies in their inventory but all was 50K+ without moonroof, without 12" uconnect etc.

This dealer has the 2020 Laramie level 1 package, 20" premium wheels, 12" uconnect, and dual pane moonroof for $49k. It is very expensive if you think that this truck's MSRP was $57,600 and dealers would discount 20% on Laramies before 2020. But this is where we are now and likely will improve in 1 to 2 years. But then my Tacoma trade in will lose value too..

Here are the kelley blue book and nada guide values. I think I'm doing OK all things considered. I still haven't signed anything, so I'm going to try and push more. I don't think they will budge

RAM.JPG

nada guide.JPG
IMG_7100.jpg
IMG_7142 (1).PNGIMG_7143.PNG

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The ones I was looking at had more miles on them. 30k - 40k or so. Just did a search on Auto trader around me here. Everything looks to be in the mid to high 40's. Wish prices would come down a bit.

Used 2020 RAM 1500 Laramie for Sale Right Now in Southfield, MI - Autotrader

The truck you are looking at is pretty sharp.

Also I believe you are in NY, the prices may be a bit higher there, than where I am at. I am seeing more and more vehicles going on lots lately, hopefully it will start softening the prices.

Last edited:

suke

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I'm starting the search again, even though it feels like I just bought my truck. My powertrain warranty runs out at 7 years 100k miles which is end of 2023. What's crazy is I bought my truck for 34k OTD as a CPO. That same equivalent truck a few years newer is now in the mid 50's with the same mileage I bought mine for. Chevy's can be had cheaper, but surprised how much worse they are at gas mileage with the same 10sp as my truck. I can get 24 mpg all day long on the highway and I have the max tow with the higher gearing. Tried looking at Nissan and can't bring myself to even go and test drive one of those things. Tundra's are just meh to me. So it's really down to Ford and Ram. Ford's you'll pay a premium for, Rams I'm still not thrilled with their lack of gas mileage numbers with the 3.92 gearing. Which I want as we'll be upgrading the boat next.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'm starting the search again, even though it feels like I just bought my truck. My powertrain warranty runs out at 7 years 100k miles which is end of 2023. What's crazy is I bought my truck for 34k OTD as a CPO. That same equivalent truck a few years newer is now in the mid 50's with the same mileage I bought mine for. Chevy's can be had cheaper, but surprised how much worse they are at gas mileage with the same 10sp as my truck. I can get 24 mpg all day long on the highway and I have the max tow with the higher gearing. Tried looking at Nissan and can't bring myself to even go and test drive one of those things. Tundra's are just meh to me. So it's really down to Ford and Ram. Ford's you'll pay a premium for, Rams I'm still not thrilled with their lack of gas mileage numbers with the 3.92 gearing. Which I want as we'll be upgrading the boat next.
I have had ford truck for decades till I got this expedtion. I Looked at them and the prices they were quoting were high. That is when I started looking at other brands.

I_squared_r

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
The ones I was looking at had more miles on them. 30k - 40k or so. Just did a search on Auto trader around me here. Everything looks to be in the mid to high 40's. Wish prices would come down a bit.

Used 2020 RAM 1500 Laramie for Sale Right Now in Southfield, MI - Autotrader

The truck you are looking at is pretty sharp.

Also I believe you are in NY, the prices may be a bit higher there, than where I am at. I am seeing more and more vehicles going on lots lately, hopefully it will start softening the prices.
Your link didnt work.
I searched Laramie in my area and this is similar.. Without the dual pane moonroof and 12" uconnect.. $51k. It's possible everything is more expensive here. The dealerships here are known for not working on the price. A lot of people leave the state for a better deal

I_squared_r

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length