• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Towing Water Shut Off Valve

kgower

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
222SE
Boat Length

Luc Lafreniere

Jetboaters Captain
Staff member
Scarab Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 G
Boat Length
I have one, I believe identical installed. I purchased it because I didn't want metal. Especially on things that aren't used often. I don't want it to seize up.

I personally installed it so there's no question which water inlet has to be closed off. BUT you have to be PARANOID about it if it is closed. I recommend putting the safety lanyard on it whenever it's closed so that nobody ever turns on the engine without reopening the valve.

One Scarab owner had this experience last year. Some marina person turned it on after having his boat towed and destroyed the engine. Fun times.

So be careful if you do install one.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Bizywk

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Right after we bought our boat, I asked the dealer about this. I asked why Yamaha didn't include the valves, and inquired what it would take to outfit our boat with them as an emergency precaution, especially given they are very inexpensive valves. He said he didn't know for sure why Yamaha doesn't include them and speculated that they were possibly worried someone would turn them off by mistake and destroy the engine. He also wisely advised me to drop the idea of having them installed as that mod would likely void our warranty immediately.

I took his advice, and carry hose shutoff clamps instead like the others suggested.

Sonic Blue

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SD
Boat Length
With those pinch off pliers you guys are showing....is it ok that they don’t pinch off the hose completely? the clamp doesn’t look parallel .... is the pinch enough to prevent back flow during towing or limping?

mrcleanr6

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SD
Boat Length
I use a pair of small needle nose vise grips. If you have clear access then it doesnt matter but if you have to reach way down in a bilge and work by feel then its the easiest thing to get on the hose. My 275 is like this as well as my honda ski. My old 232 and my fzs were wide open so anything will work on those.

motomandan

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Last edited:

mrcleanr6

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SD
Boat Length
I have one of those too. Seems like a quality piece. Just alot of fiddling with it to lock the arm on and get it set. Can be a pia if its in an area where you have to put it on one handed or no visibility. People that dont have that issue then its a great tool.

motomandan

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I have one of those too. Seems like a quality piece. Just alot of fiddling with it to lock the arm on and get it set. Can be a pia if its in an area where you have to put it on one handed or no visibility. People that dont have that issue then its a great tool.
Always good to practice before needed!

Rodder77

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Rodder77

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Just purchased two of these also...hopefully i never need them.
fyi - I practiced using them on a spare piece of similar diameter marine fuel line I had in the garage, "appear" they will work pretty good if ever needed for towing (assuming I can climb back there)

ACRDSPORT14

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
PWC

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Installed valves on the cooling lines like 8 years ago. Absolute pain to install. Have never used them.

If I had to do it all again, I would get just about any of the clamp options above before considering valves.

Yamahaul

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
can someone please post a picture of where this hose is and where to clamp it for the 195s? im interested in those clamps. thank you

kgower

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
222SE
Boat Length
can someone please post a picture of where this hose is and where to clamp it for the 195s? im interested in those clamps. thank you
There was a a picture in another thread, you might be able to do a search and find it.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
sorry I'm to lazy to find a picture or link to post,

our FAQ has a great write up with pictures,

If you follow your garden hose wash connector down into the engine bay (usually it's a red hose) it will come to a " Y " fitting,
clamp after the Y if you just want to prevent water flow while towing,
if you want to clamp to help with pressure during garden hose fresh water flushing clamp on the hose from coming from the jet nozzle before the Y fitting

Yamahaul

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
thanks, I briefly searched just kept coming back to this post. lol

kgower

Jetboaters Commander