• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

TR-1 Ribbon delete....

I am surprised the ribbon restricted the intake to the point that removing it increased your top speed by 2mph. I was thinking about removing the ribbons from my 2022 210FSH. Before I did, I put a vacuum gauge on the intake manifold downstream of the throttle body. The ribbon and air filter were still installed. At full throttle, the gauge showed 0psi of vacuum which means no restriction. I see 2 explanations. Either, I need a more sensitive vacuum gage or the ribbon and air filter do not restrict performance.
Has anyone else gained performance by removing the ribbon and/or air filter?
Thoughts?

And yes, you need an Inches of water gauge with resolution down to 1/100th of an inch. I gained 200 rpm on each engine by going to the RIVA K&N style filter, which was the same result as running no air filters on back to back to back test runs.

So I think as an experiment I’m going to;

A-see about adding some intake holes to the factory ones that are behind the back rest on the swim deck, and;

B-use a couple of inexpensive bilge blowers and some of that flexible hose, connect the hose to the intake ports that are behind the back rest on the swim step, connect the blowers so that they are inline and run the hose along the bulk head and have it dump out in front of the air box intake. When I run these added blowers it will push (cooler?) outside air into the engine compartment and hopefully feed the intakes with some cool air. If this shows positive results I’ll do something a bit more permanent and with a higher volume blower into the engine bay. I found some 4” SeaFlo 270 cfm blowers for like $30 each, they pull 6A each.

C-I’d want to test the air hose by itself so a passive set up, perhaps make a card board rectangle to 4” round adapter for the air box and see how that works as well.

Let me know how that works, I already figured out the engine compartment is too hot, sucking hot air into the engines. I bought two 4 inch vents and a 4 inch hole saw so i can drill a hole in front of each air intake so they can get instant cold air, my dilemma is, will that make more noise for me, and, do I really want to drill 2 holes in my front engine compartment?
I also went online and bought 2 cheap used TR1 intakes and gutted the ribbon, it was a chore, but i did it without damaging them. I did that so if it doesn't work out, I can put original back on at any time.
By the way, the holes would be about 4-5 inches off the floor of the deck, so I wasn't worried about water getting in there, besides if it became an issue, I already made caps that can be installed in case of rainy days.

Let me know how that works, I already figured out the engine compartment is too hot, sucking hot air into the engines. I bought two 4 inch vents and a 4 inch hole saw so i can drill a hole in front of each air intake so they can get instant cold air, my dilemma is, will that make more noise for me, and, do I really want to drill 2 holes in my front engine compartment?
I also went online and bought 2 cheap used TR1 intakes and gutted the ribbon, it was a chore, but i did it without damaging them. I did that so if it doesn't work out, I can put original back on at any time.
By the way, the holes would be about 4-5 inches off the floor of the deck, so I wasn't worried about water getting in there, besides if it became an issue, I already made caps that can be installed in case of rainy days.
I like your thought process! I wouldn’t drill the holes there, too much of a straight shot into the intakes for water to go into if you take a wave over the bow.

I’m sure there will be increased engine noise if you put them there as well.

How about putting them behind the seat backs where the other air ducts are for the engine compartment and then run flexible ducts to in front of the intakes?

I wouldn't put the intakes there in the front of the engine compartment, could fill your engines with water if a wave comes over.

Got my intakes (TR1's without the ribbons) installed today. Starboard side was a tough one, not much room. All I have done is cranked engines, haven't taken them on water yet, got a Storm baring down on us hear in north MS. Hope to get them out after this has passed. I will shoot an update when I see if there is a difference, and if there is, I will let you know how much.
Haven't tried fresh/cooler air solution yet, save that for next few weeks.
On another thread in this forum, I was reading about oil filter selections, good, bad, flow rate and such. there is a good episode on ENGINE MASTERS, on MOTOR TREND channel titled "oil filter shootout" first aired December, 2021. I am not technical enough to put it on this thread, but if you go on Google or motor trend TV, you should be able to pull it up. They tested about 8 filters all different grades, flow rates on all of them were in the 8 gallons a minute. Of coarse the testing was done on a 600HP V-8, but rpms were running up in the 6,000 or so, so should be comparable test for our little engines running up to 7,500 rpms.

Got my intakes (TR1's without the ribbons) installed today. Starboard side was a tough one, not much room. All I have done is cranked engines, haven't taken them on water yet, got a Storm baring down on us hear in north MS. Hope to get them out after this has passed. I will shoot an update when I see if there is a difference, and if there is, I will let you know how much.
On another thread in this forum, I was reading about oil filter selections, good, bad, flow rate and such. there is a good episode on ENGINE MASTERS, on MOTOR TREND channel titled "oil filter shootout" first aired December, 2021. I am not technical enough to put it on this thread, but if you go on Google or motor trend TV, you should be able to pull it up. They tested about 8 filters all different grades, flow rates on all of them were in the 8 gallons a minute. Of coarse the testing was done on a 600HP V-8, but rpms were running up in the 6,000 or so, so should be comparable test for our little engines running up to 7,500 rpms.
Thanks for the update! I would appreciate knowing what impact the ribbon delete had if any. Please keep track of temp, humidity, barometric pressure and altitude. Did you just remove the ribbons or did you use the RIVA kit?

I went looking for the engine masters oil shootout and couldn’t find it, what I did find was this discussion about tat test https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/threads/enginemasters-new-episode-4-30-oil-filter-showdown.340735/. There are some pretty smart guys on that forum site who explain a lot about that EM oil filter test. The smartest of the lot discussing the test point out the “noise” in the testing procedure Aka inconsistencies or as I like to put it, the lack of a carefully monitored “control” before introducing the variables which is illustrated by some inconsistent outcomes. Having said that, it was enlightening to see the output of positive displacement oil pumps GPM and the delta P of the filters having no effect on GPM and no impact on the oil pressure delivered to the engine.

As with air filters, oil filters have an ISO testing procedure which in my quick run through I did not see mentioned but is critical when measuring filter media performance. As a bit of a side note, if one is using used oil analysis there is also a filter patch test that can be sent to the lab along with the used oil for analysis.

I appreciate you posting about the test as I learned a few new things by reading through the discussion on bobs the oil guys forum.

Back