• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Trailer Ladder to Make it Easier to get on the boat

GoodCubanito

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
There is a great video on YouTube on how to launch a boat by yourself. See below:

However, I noticed that on the front of the trailer she has a type of step ladder for easier access to the boat... any suggestions on where to get one similar to that for my trailer?

Thanks in advance,

Laz

There is a great video on YouTube on how to launch a boat by yourself. See below:

However, I noticed that on the front of the trailer she has a type of step ladder for easier access to the boat... any suggestions on where to get one similar to that for my trailer?

Thanks in advance,

Laz
Those would be awesome. My best guess is the tongue is much longer on those trailers. I've seen those all over on wake boats and need something like that. There's a couple boat outfitters that sell something of the like. Pretty sure overtons was one place. There's a guy in one of the yamaha Facebook groups that has one on his 212x trailer.

The mfi trailers and I suspect the shorelander trailers that Yamaha uses don’t have a lot of tongue length on which to put a step or ladder. The forward portion of the tongue on the mfi trailers contains the surge brake mechanism also when it’s folded the step or ladder may contact the hull, just something else to think about if your are going to fabricate something on your own.

Some have welded a step to the side of a bow stop, I don’t recall if the posts and pics are here or on yamahajetboaters.com but do recall it being done. Overtons or west Marine used to offer such a step that bolted on I think but I wasn’t able to fInd one when I looked a few years ago.

I have upgraded my winch to a Fulton F2 and put some hydro turf on it. I use as a step often. Adding handles to the sides of the anchor locker hatch makes this much easier.

I’ve added a few pics/screenshots of ladders I found on the web, maybe you see one you are interested in.

in regard to the video, I found it interesting (Especially the, “it gets better after you have done it 10 or 20 times” since that could represent an entire season for some boaters). I don’t do all of the things that she does when I launch by myself or otherwise.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 123
  • E4247214-98F6-4266-BF00-C23A85C167A8.png
    E4247214-98F6-4266-BF00-C23A85C167A8.png
    841.6 KB · Views: 132
  • 7B807B0C-3811-479B-A195-5450766B28C8.png
    7B807B0C-3811-479B-A195-5450766B28C8.png
    4.1 MB · Views: 163
I just installed this ladder on my trailer a few days ago and it works great. It was less than $250 when I bought it on Amazon. The fourth step is almost even with the top deck on the bow. The 3 step might work as well if you don't mind swinging a leg over the rail.
I bought a slanted spare tire mount and moved my spare back onto one of the angled sections of the trailer to free up some tongue space. I'll post some pictures of it when I get home tonight.

It was very easy to install as well - the 4 bolts that mount it to the trailer and 2 bolts to install the handle. For the price I paid - I think it was $249 when I ordered it a few weeks ago - I'm really happy with it. The port side is basically identical but the handle mounts on the opposite side so it's towards the front of the boat. When I ordered mine, the port was $294 and I'm not sure why it was more other than maybe it's more popular since it mounts on the side the tow vehicle driver would be on and you don't need to cross over the tongue. Now the port side is cheaper but still more than I paid originally. The price seems to be fluctuating a lot.

Thanks in advance,

Laz
Just a thought but the boat comes with a ladder on the rear, why not use it to get in the boat when it's on the trailer?

Just a thought but the boat comes with a ladder on the rear, why not use it to get in the boat when it's on the trailer?
For me, I need access to the front of the boat when launching since I'm currently the only one in my family that can back the trailer into the water and also drive the boat off the trailer and over to the dock - my wife or one of my kids is fine with parking the truck and trailer after launching. I'm working to change that but for the time being that's the way it is. I need to make it a priority to go out with the wife and teach her how to back up with a trailer. Before I installed the new trailer mounted ladder I used a folding step ladder and it was a PITA to haul around and then set up in the water on the ramp to board the boat.

I don’t think the boat ladders are rated for a lot of weight when out of the water, I know I had to replace mine on the back because the metal tubing was creased at the top. I think the force put on the attach points by the the full weight of someone climbing it out of the water can damage it. The ladder is basically one big lever at that point.

I just slapped some no slip traction tape down on the tongue and the top of my winch has a flat spot on it too and I put non slip on there too.

I tried going that route once and about broke my leg, I guess I'm not as nimble as I use to be. My teenagers do it all the time but I decided I needed an "old mans" solution. I looked at mounting individual steps on tongue and winch post but opted for more "refined" approach. I never realized getting old would cost so much.

Last edited by a moderator:
For me, I need access to the front of the boat when launching since I'm currently the only one in my family that can back the trailer into the water and also drive the boat off the trailer and over to the dock - my wife or one of my kids is fine with parking the truck and trailer after launching. I'm working to change that but for the time being that's the way it is. I need to make it a priority to go out with the wife and teach her how to back up with a trailer. Before I installed the new trailer mounted ladder I used a folding step ladder and it was a PITA to haul around and then set up in the water on the ramp to board the boat.

If teaching her to back up the trailer doesn’t work:

:winkingthumbsup"

If teaching her to back up the trailer doesn’t work:

:winkingthumbsup"
F150 with trailer assist. Was a game changer for us. Swore I'd never use that system and it was more of a gimmick. Was bored one day and said eh why not? Took her one time unloading and one time loading before she was a pro. Now we had radios to communicate if I need to to back in more or pull up some. She no longer needs my "more left, or more right, stay straight guidance".

F150 with trailer assist. Was a game changer for us. Swore I'd never use that system and it was more of a gimmick. Was bored one day and said eh why not? Took her one time unloading and one time loading before she was a pro. Now we had radios to communicate if I need to to back in more or pull up some. She no longer needs my "more left, or more right, stay straight guidance".
I like your sincere reply to my wise ass suggestion (that he replace his wife with an online dating site for boaters) to purchase a pickup with trailer assist instead.
Yes, that’s probably a better solution!

I built my own front steps. Fold down steps. Compact and work well for front loading.

story
I had to adjust the front bow roller mount. I had bent the u-channel metal that held the bow roller (between the winch and roller). I welded my bow holder base or bottom about 8 years ago (best thing ever). This time I upgraded the u-shaped steel with solid square steel, and added a trianglular support point to make it stronger. I also moved the boat back about 3-6" on the trailer. Tongue weight was too much for towing with my pathfinder (normally tow with Chevy 2500 van) so I moved some weight back over the trailer wheels. Balance is great and repair has worked well.

I used 120volt Mig welder with gas or my repairs, Basic garage grade, not a professional welder.

20201003_103145.jpg20201003_103131.jpg20201003_1030581111.jpg20201003_10310811111.jpg20201003_103058.jpg20201003_103108.jpg20201003_103114.jpg

We don't climb in the front since we don't power load/launch, but we bought a short 3-step aluminum ladder with a large top step to use near the ramp to get on/off the back easily to prep the boat. Fits nicely in the back of the SUV out of the way.

No, the ladder collapses vertically and there's a velcro strap the goes around it to hold it in that position. The whole assembly can rotate with a quick release threaded handle so you can pivot the ladder close to the trailer frame and tighten it down. I've towed the trailer with it mounted multiple times with no issues. It really doesn't even rattle very much at all. Very happy with it. The first 2 pictures in my post above show it in that position.

Back