• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Trailer Wiring Harness 4 pins or 5 pins?

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Got a 4 pin plug on your tow vehicle and have a trailer with 5 pins? The best solution is to wire in a new harness and connect that 5th pin to your reverse lights.

Here is a simple way to avoid completely redoing the wiriing:

http://www.etrailer.com/p-47515.html

Alternate solutions are all manual stop gaps:

1) Use the metal key to prevent the brakes from engaging

2) Plug the 5th pin on the trailer onto the 2nd (I think) pin on the vehicle and turn the vehicle lights on (this is the running lights). This fakes out the trailer into thinking the reverse lights are on, and disengages the brakes.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The wiring to the 5 pin connector on my trailer was falling apart so I switched to a 7 pin connector. It took about 5 minutes to make the switch and test everything. Now I do not have to use an adapter anymore.

KXCam22

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I switched to a 7 before I towed the boat for the first time. Made sense since the connector was cheaper than the adapter. Cam.

Wayloncle

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I lost my 7 to 5 pin adapter so I just wired on a 7 pin plug as well.

Zarrella

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
I just use the adapter I bought at West Marine