• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Transducer - Mount Location?

scokill

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I ended up mounting mine by the drain plug, similar to the first pic in this thread. No issues with it - it's worked up to 40 mph so far.
Mine is to the left of the drain plug and works WOT.

farrelltravis

Jetboaters Captain
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I am hoping to install my transducer this weekend too.

subysti

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I mounted 2 transducers for the sidescan. Sidescan won't work as a shoot through hull. They do make a through hull transducer but again I would need 2 of them as the center keel would block one side.

farrelltravis

Jetboaters Captain
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I was able to get my transducer installed and water-tested. My only issue is that when doing a sub move, the transducer then springs up at an angle and no longer functions until I manually reach in the water to put the transducer back horizontal. I tightened the screw pretty tight, and it still does this. I believe the "ratchet" washers are what is allowing it to be pushed up.

So, do I:

1. Not do sub moves any more
2. Do sub moves and just fix it each time
3. Remove the "ratchet" washers and not allow the transducer to be able to move

farrelltravis

Jetboaters Captain
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

scokill

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I tightened mine and it doesn't flip up...so not sure.

farrelltravis

Jetboaters Captain
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I tightened mine and it doesn't flip up...so not sure.
Did you use the rubber washers also?

I tightened mine pretty darn tight. So much so, that the rubber washers were starting to get squeezed.

subysti

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@farrelltravis what kind of transducer are you using? I know my humminbird would pop up at speed before I moved them up. Right now I have them so that the bottom of the transducer is just in the water when up on plane. Now they stay down all the way to 50mph and I don't lose any readings. I don't do sub moves so that I can't help with.

farrelltravis

Jetboaters Captain
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have the standard transducer that came with the Lowrance Elite 7 HDI. That transducer is the 83/200 455/800 HDI transducer.

The transducer works flawlessly at idle, sitting still, or at speed - right up until a sub move. I don't know if moving it up would fix the issue I am having with the sub move.

farrelltravis

Jetboaters Captain
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Here is a picture of the installation instructions that shows the "ratchets" and the various washers:

Attachments

billyb

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
@farrelltravis what kind of transducer are you using? I know my humminbird would pop up at speed before I moved them up. Right now I have them so that the bottom of the transducer is just in the water when up on plane. Now they stay down all the way to 50mph and I don't lose any readings. I don't do sub moves so that I can't help with.
Any chance you could snap a picture of your new location?

Everyone apparently mounts it next to the drain plug, but I just don't see how that is out of the water and skims the water. I figure it has to be higher but how high?

OnTheWater

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA

farrelltravis

Jetboaters Captain
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I think the sub move is putting quite a bit of pressure on it. I don't do sub move all the time, so maybe just stopping those is the best solution.

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I think the sub move is putting quite a bit of pressure on it. I don't do sub move all the time, so maybe just stopping those is the best solution.
I installed this very same transducer a number of times for friends. The mount is designed to lock down with those ratchets helping keep it's position. The rubber washers give it shock protection to allow the ratchets to give if the transducer is struck.

I would say if your ratchets are not holding, remove one if not both of the washers. I am pretty sure I never included the washers on our installs. I am actually surprised a sub-move would knock it "up" as a sub move drops the bow and actually lifts the stern on the boats I have driven.

Interesting result though.

Good Luck,

Last edited:

farrelltravis

Jetboaters Captain
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Interesting. Thanks for the input. I will remove the rubber washers and see if that helps.

Also interestingly, this past weekend, the transducer flipped up just getting on plane. I am sure this sounds like I have just not tightened the transducer, but it is tight. Hopefully removing those rubber washers will help.

Thanks so much!

TheTripletDaddy

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
thats where I put mine..
I know your pic is a few years old, but where did run the cable through? Did you find a drain plug somewhere to use or did you end up having to drill a hole back there?

kthrash

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I know your pic is a few years old, but where did run the cable through? Did you find a drain plug somewhere to use or did you end up having to drill a hole back there?
I drilled a hole up under the rear platform and filled it with silicone.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length