• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Transom Protection?

twentiesforever

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hello Members,

Next week I take delivery of my new SX240 and it will go directly into my wet slip. This year though, the slip is only accessed from the transom as you back up to the bulkhead. There are pylons on either side of the boat to tie off your bow lines in addition to tying to the bulk head. In this situation, what transom protection can use to ensure it does hit and destroy the rear of the boat? Since the platform is so low to the water, I dont see regular fenders being used becuase they float and wouldnt stay put. Yes, ideally all the lines are positioned and tight enough so the transom doesnt touch but I can help to think wind and perhaps stretching of the lines are not going to happen. Thoughts?

Can you place some sort of padding on the bulkhead or hang fenders on the bulkhead with weights hanging below to keep them in place?

Some people have invested in a transom fender....but they aren't cheap! You really want to make sure your lines are forward enough that the transom stays clear of the dock.

TMP56090LG-1.jpg

thank
Some people have invested in a transom fender....but they aren't cheap! You really want to make sure your lines are forward enough that the transom stays clear of the dock.

Thanks @Julian. I saw these and agree, far from cheap. I was wonder if there were more creative solutions.

Can you place some sort of padding on the bulkhead or hang fenders on the bulkhead with weights hanging below to keep them in place?

This is a great idea. Im not sure what the marina will say but this may be a solid option. A few bucks cheaper than the transom fender.

Depends on the construction of the dock. I took large pool noodles, sliced them down one side and zip tied them to the edge of a metal dock I moored at for summers in Wisconsin.

For a wooden dock, there are lots of dock attachable fender options....my favorites are those that have air in them....just rubber strips are less useful

@twentiesforever , even when boats are put into a wet slip bow first, it is rare that anyone uses a fender on the bow, or could you rig one to protect the bow due to shape. The protection will come from the way you tie it off. Generally speaking, those transom or swim platform fenders are used when it is intentionally backed up against a dock for loading/unloading. I have wanted to use one for that, but for storage, you should consider just tying the boat so it can't hit the dock behind the swim deck. Congrats on the new boat!

And another option is to use a normal fender and put a dumbell on the bottom tied with a rope to keep it from riding up. My airdock actually has dumbells from Walmart tied to the end to keep the bladder away from the intakes when deflated.

as an fyi, i can only back in so the weighted dumbbell or the taylor made fender will do the job. I love the clean look so maybe I'll just bite it and buy it. Thanks guys

Agree with @txav8r on proper slip tying being the key. Fenders and any barrier padding are for ingress/egress bumps and secondary protection. Proper tying is absolutely primary in an extended stay slip situation.

Some references (not nec. endorsed, but good for general background) from a quick Google search:
http://www.frugal-mariner.com/Tying_up_your_boat_in_a_slip.html
http://www.boatingmag.com/how-to/how-to-rig-slip
http://www.boatus.com/magazine/2011/august/diy.asp

Some other related thought-starters:
http://www.boatingmag.com/how-to/30-ways-to-sink-boat-and-29-to-prevent-it

Highly recommended reading & reference on all things boating that covers tying in a slip and many, many other topics. The boating Bible.
http://www.amazon.com/Chapman-Piloting-Seamanship-Edition-Handling/dp/1588169618

Moving away from the original question, I would look for some heavy "stretchy" dock lines to connect to the pylons at the front end. I would use rope between the transom and the bulk head and safety ropes to the pylon to prevent the stretchy lines from allowing the transom to contact the bulk head. Then you could use the transom rope(s) to pull het back to the bulk head for boarding and let the stretchy dock lines pull her toward the pylons while she is waiting for your next outing.

Back