• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Trolling Motor Help Needed

What thrust do I need

• Total voters

Eric Ballard

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Im buying my trolling motor tomorrow.

The question is 55# or 70# thrust and why?

I have a 2016 SX 190.

2100# dry weight so im assuming Ill never go past 3000# total weight when fishing.

From what I read 3000# boat weight is recomended to go with 60# so dilema begins. Ill be on lakes and the rare occasional river. No ocean use for trolling motor.

Im basically hoping the concenous is 55#. I like the 12v system if I can get away with it.

Im looking at the Minn Kota Riptide with copilot. 54" shaft.

Seadeals

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The casting deck idea is really cool. Adding a mount for the trolling motor (and the trolling motor) to it might make taking it in and out a real challenge. I have never fished from my Yamaha but am always amazed with the mods others have done to adapt the boat to the unintended purpose. The thrust consideration also depends on your intended battery setup. One vs two (12/24) and battery size would affect my choice as I would want to know the effective run time of one deep cycle. 55 would offer longer run time. My only concern would be the performance in breezy conditions with the high freeboard. It would be funny to see a pair of power poles on the back.

Eric Ballard

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
i woud install the trolling motor ising the quick disconnect hockey puck so the only extra weight is the box I need to build to support the motor. the battery would likely go in the forward starboard storaflge hole; possibly close to under the captains console (as close to center as possible).

With the 55# model and 50 draw max would let me run full throttle for 45 minutes; which I think is pretty good.

I got help from Bruce on the battery calculations.

BTW There is a guy on here that put 2 stick-it-pin anchors on the back swim desk of his FSH. Looks cool really.

Yes the high freeboard could be an issue in high wind, but Im not looking to go out in that for fishing or at least not with the trolling motor.

most of the FSH guys use 80# thrust but I assume that since they want true fishing boat performance. I want light, simple and functional (for around $1000 :) ).

Damn its a tough descision.....

Seadeals

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
It sounds like a 55 should fit your needs and budget. Hopefully someone with a 55# installed will chime in on performance.

Tailwaters

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Just curious is the 54" shaft was long enough?

moonjeong

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Just to update and close those this thread. I love it!!!!View attachment 52093
This is the perfect solution! How is it holding up and by any chance you have a diy or closer pics to see where you attached the deck? Also, newbie question: do you use regular screws to screw the box to your boat? Inexperience tells me the screws may not hold the thrust? Or is the boat shell really thick and sturdy? Thanks!

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
This is the perfect solution! How is it holding up and by any chance you have a diy or closer pics to see where you attached the deck? Also, newbie question: do you use regular screws to screw the box to your boat? Inexperience tells me the screws may not hold the thrust? Or is the boat shell really thick and sturdy? Thanks!
I am going to guess that he didn't use screws at all but rather through bolted it and put a backing plate on, or some really large washers as backing. (I wouldn't use screws no matter how thick the glass is).