• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Trolling Motor Quote 210FSH w/ battery questions

sebagobill

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I'm looking to add a Minn Kota Ulterra to my 210FSH and had questions regarding the batteries and specifically charging. I don't have shore power and generally keep my boat at the slip for most of the season. This would require me to (I assume) remove the batteries occasionally to charge depending on usage. Anyone else in the same situation? What setup do you have? Should I use Lifepo4 batteries instead? Is under the helm the best install spot? Do you use the stock mount? Any other suggestions? Sorry, that was a lot of questions!!!

Here is the quote from my dealer.

-$2349.99 Ulterra 60lb, 24v
-$58.00 Quick release plate
-$40.00 Circuit breaker
-$88.00 Tr. Motor plug
-$40.00 Sealant, hardware, fasteners, wiring
-$280.00 2 Deep cycle batteries
-$40.00 Core charge for batteries
-$8.00 Fuse
-$22.00 Battery trays
-$2925.99 Parts total
-$750 Labor, 5 @ $150
-$3675.99 Total

With optional 2 bank battery charger:
$249.99 Charger
$75.00 Labor

Your trolling motor set up sounds good.

Not having shore power is going to be an issue. Lead acid batteries don‘t do well when left in a state of discharge. I have a three bank charger on my boat that gets plugged in as soon as I get home from the water.

LiFe batteries from what I understand tolerate being left in a state discharge, but I don’t know that for sure. The big advantage the LiFe batteries have in your situation is weight savings as they are 40% of the weight of a lead acid battery, so that would make removing to charge them a lot easier, and you can get a single 24 volt LiFe battery so you’d just have one battery with one set of connections. How often you have to charge them is highly dependent on your usage.

The storage area under the helm is where my trolling motor battery bank is mounted, and that works well for me.

There is a member who has the 112# thrust Ulterra that installed a single 36V LiFe battery who reports many days of usage without recharging. https://jetboaters.net/threads/210-fsh-trolling-motor-mount-pics.24573/

I'm looking to add a Minn Kota Ulterra to my 210FSH and had questions regarding the batteries and specifically charging. I don't have shore power and generally keep my boat at the slip for most of the season. This would require me to (I assume) remove the batteries occasionally to charge depending on usage. Anyone else in the same situation? What setup do you have? Should I use Lifepo4 batteries instead? Is under the helm the best install spot? Do you use the stock mount? Any other suggestions? Sorry, that was a lot of questions!!!

Here is the quote from my dealer.

-$2349.99 Ulterra 60lb, 24v
-$58.00 Quick release plate
-$40.00 Circuit breaker
-$88.00 Tr. Motor plug
-$40.00 Sealant, hardware, fasteners, wiring
-$280.00 2 Deep cycle batteries
-$40.00 Core charge for batteries
-$8.00 Fuse
-$22.00 Battery trays
-$2925.99 Parts total
-$750 Labor, 5 @ $150
-$3675.99 Total

With optional 2 bank battery charger:
$249.99 Charger
$75.00 Labor
I installed the 36v Ulterra on my 210 FSH with the lithium pro 36v lithium battery in the compartment with the 2- 12v factory batteries. Also have a minkota 2 bank charger in the same compartment along with several other components. I’m happy with the setup as it is very clean and I can run the 36v motor on low settings even in high wind. I believe that helps conserve battery power?

I can see where putting the battery in the storage up front would make sense and disperse some weight but when I picked up the lithium battery and realized how light it was I decided it wasn’t adding a significant enough amount of weight to really matter. I personally love the idea of having one battery instead of a three bank. I wouldn’t go any other way after doing it. I’ve trolled all day in wind and haven’t been let down yet!

I’ve included a few pictures and one of how I store my trolling motor when I have the cover on

Attachments

• F28E7CF4-0734-4442-8FB6-7950ED02F43D.jpeg
    F28E7CF4-0734-4442-8FB6-7950ED02F43D.jpeg
    505.2 KB · Views: 91
  • 236751D8-DCDF-48B2-A5E0-759FB5BDAB5B.jpeg
    236751D8-DCDF-48B2-A5E0-759FB5BDAB5B.jpeg
    792.2 KB · Views: 92
  • 4EDAD8B7-0D7F-4BBF-BEDB-B009E2B868FE.jpeg
    4EDAD8B7-0D7F-4BBF-BEDB-B009E2B868FE.jpeg
    406.5 KB · Views: 90
I have a 36v Minn Kota with 3 LiFePo4 12v-100 amp batteries in the changing room. I do a lot of trolling at 1.75-2.0 mph and find I use 15-20 amps per hour. I get a little over 5 hrs of trolling. If I didn't have a charging power source, that would be a lot of battery removal. Can you use a generator?

For my trolling, I find the 36v has barely enough power. I don't think the 24v would do well.

If you go to 36v, I found the factory mount didn't have the strength to keep from bending and damaging the gelcoat. After gelcoat repair, I built a 1/2"x6.5"x17.5" mounting plate. It's doing the job.

I installed the 36v Ulterra on my 210 FSH with the lithium pro 36v lithium battery in the compartment with the 2- 12v factory batteries. Also have a minkota 2 bank charger in the same compartment along with several other components. I’m happy with the setup as it is very clean and I can run the 36v motor on low settings even in high wind. I believe that helps conserve battery power?

I can see where putting the battery in the storage up front would make sense and disperse some weight but when I picked up the lithium battery and realized how light it was I decided it wasn’t adding a significant enough amount of weight to really matter. I personally love the idea of having one battery instead of a three bank. I wouldn’t go any other way after doing it. I’ve trolled all day in wind and haven’t been let down yet!

I’ve included a few pictures and one of how I store my trolling motor when I have the cover on
Great pictures to give me a better look at your setup, thanks! Is yours the 72" or 60"? It looks huge! I was looking at the 60" and was curious if it would fit under the port side bow seats.

I have a 36v Minn Kota with 3 LiFePo4 12v-100 amp batteries in the changing room. I do a lot of trolling at 1.75-2.0 mph and find I use 15-20 amps per hour. I get a little over 5 hrs of trolling. If I didn't have a charging power source, that would be a lot of battery removal. Can you use a generator?

For my trolling, I find the 36v has barely enough power. I don't think the 24v would do well.

If you go to 36v, I found the factory mount didn't have the strength to keep from bending and damaging the gelcoat. After gelcoat repair, I built a 1/2"x6.5"x17.5" mounting plate. It's doing the job.
Can't use a generator. My next option was looking at solar power I guess.

I have seen some posts about the stock mounting plate flexing. Would that be an issue with the 24v 60" too?

I would do the Lithiums if you can afford it. So much lighter. I don't have them, but cost was the only reason. I have two big duracell Group 31 AGMs in the console locker. Cam spot lock and do some slow trolling all weekend with no problem. Stored to the right of midline to offset the weight of the 60" minn kota. 24V system. No flex in the factory plate. I would worry about the 72" sticking out too far off the transom when stowed. Would make it hard to dock on that side. Unless you are doing offshore fishing in more than 2ft seas, 60" is just fine. Would not get the Minn Kota circuit breaker because it has no way to manually trip it, and thus cut power to the motor when not using. I bought it, and then realized this and had to buy the one pictured below. Would not change my setup. Perfect for this boat.

Attachments

• 2021-02-23 10.42.20.jpg
    2021-02-23 10.42.20.jpg
    5.1 MB · Views: 86
  • 2021-02-23 10.42.32.jpg
    2021-02-23 10.42.32.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 79
  • 2021-04-23 16.41.41.jpg
    2021-04-23 16.41.41.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 81
  • 2021-04-23 16.43.55.jpg
    2021-04-23 16.43.55.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 76
I would do the Lithiums if you can afford it. So much lighter. I don't have them, but cost was the only reason. I have two big duracell Group 31 AGMs in the console locker. Cam spot lock and do some slow trolling all weekend with no problem. Stored to the right of midline to offset the weight of the 60" minn kota. 24V system. No flex in the factory plate. I would worry about the 72" sticking out too far off the transom when stowed. Would make it hard to dock on that side. Unless you are doing offshore fishing in more than 2ft seas, 60" is just fine. Would not get the Minn Kota circuit breaker because it has no way to manually trip it, and thus cut power to the motor when not using. I bought it, and then realized this and had to buy the one pictured below. Would not change my setup. Perfect for this boat.
Good feedback on the circuit breaker and mounting plate, thanks! Ya, I'm on a lake so the 60" works for me. Plus, the 72 would be huge. Do you leave yours on when docked?

I just flip the breaker at the end of the day. I have a 3-bank charger, and I read somewhere online to disconnect motor before charging batteries. Probably doesn't matter or the Minn Kota breaker would have a manual trip feature. But, easy enough and it no downside.

Great pictures to give me a better look at your setup, thanks! Is yours the 72" or 60"? It looks huge! I was looking at the 60" and was curious if it would fit under the port side bow seats.
I went with the 72” I don’t think there is any way a 60” or a 72” would fit under the seats. But I don’t know that for a fact. I would go measure mine but it’s at the dealership right now.

Mine is the 60". I've never even thought of storing it under the seat. Just guessing it would not fit. Too heavy and awkward to do it in my opinion. Only reason I would ever disconnect would be to put the boat cover on. You could just lay it down on some lifejackets on the deck to keep it from knocking around.

Mine is the 60". I've never even thought of storing it under the seat. Just guessing it would not fit. Too heavy and awkward to do it in my opinion. Only reason I would ever disconnect would be to put the boat cover on. You could just lay it down on some lifejackets on the deck to keep it from knocking around.
I have a few of those square foam tiles that are for exercise rooms or kids play areas that I cut to the shape of the bow floor that I use for storing it inboard. Works pretty well and anti-slip also.

Back