• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

TSA Pre Check?

BigN8

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Who on here uses this? Is it really worth it if a person is priority status? Seems like these days the TSA Pre Check line is as long as or longer than the Priority Line. I was thinking of enrolling my wife and I in it but wanted to ask the peanut gallery of their experience. Always good advice on here.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
If you fly often it's worth it. I hate that the is an upcharge for what should be free, but it is what it is. I travel only once or twice per year, and I cannot justify it. If you fly more, or money is less of an object, it may be worth it to you. It will save you 25-30 minutes at least, on bad flights.

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Depends on your flying schedule, IMO. If you're usually on early Monday flights out, its worth it. Flying occasionally? Wouldn't bother. I miss when they just gave it to you for free based on your flying history, now its just a pay-for perk. Give it a few years, TSA Precheck Platinum will be out for twice the fee and half the line.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I admit if a destination is less than 8 hours away, I'd rather drive. In addition to cost, the indignity that your are subjected to when clearing security, and the fact that the seat is about 3 inches less across than the measurement of the width of my back, makes me nostalgic for a different time in flight.

Shuck Water

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Get Global Entry instead. It's a couple bucks more and includes TSA-Pre Check. If you go out of country, it makes customs much easier coming back. Some countries also accept global entry on inbound too.

greg

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I fly almost every week and couldn't live with out TSA -Pre check. If you travel to the major airports also get Clear(Costly). That helps greatly at the big airports. Puts you in front of the TSa pre line.

PeterB

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I use Global Entry which gets the TSA pre check as @Shuck Water mentioned. The precheck definitely reduces stress, and not removing toiletries and computers in a hectic screening line avoids losing things. In many airports it is significantly faster. Occasionally the regular lines move as quickly, but I fly out of O'Hare, often on Monday as @seanmclean pointed out is very busy.
Several trips when I traveled with someone who didn't have it, I was through security much faster than they were, at O'Hare, Newark and Atlanta.
The entry into the US is very fast also with the Global Entry if you ever travel outside the US.
I fly frequently, so for me the value easily exceeds the cost.
CLEAR is just starting to catch on - I may get it, as Austin uses it, and I fly there every month, though my longest wait in TSA pre check there is never more than 10 minutes.

Benny Sibbitt

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Totally worth it
I travel with a ton of electronics and I found the search is less aggressive and faster

Sbrown

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have pre-check, and it's gotten me through quicker and with less aggravation mostly. Then last time we flew in February, my wife got picked for a random search. What a pisser! I had to keep her calmed down to keep from making it worse!

ruztew

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Precheck is great. Saves time in big airports, but no real benefit in small airports

:)

Of course I get it for free

BigN8

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
See........I'm glad I reached out to you guys. I was going to sign up for Pre Check, but after you guys chimed in and I researched a little more I went ahead and signed up for Global Entry. I'm going to get my wife to sign up as well. Thanks fellas!!!

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I signed up for Clear the last time I flew in March. It was at San Jose airport and they solicited me from the back of the security line. One of the registration questions that blew me away was the question, “which of these five people are you close to?” One of the answers was my mother’s maiden name. I can’t recall the last time I ever listed that. Anyway, registration at San Jose airport took about 3 minutes and I got walked to the front of the security line. It was great but Clear doesn’t operate in San Diego so there was no benefit on the flight back. Then there is the cost, after the free 30 day trial, either $129 or $189 per year for my wife and I. Not worth it for us as we don’t fly much but when I called to cancel they offered me a lower rate and reminded me that Clear is also becoming more used at sports events and concerts. Not enough to make me change my mind but this seems to be a feature that no one else is offering. I recall missing the entire first quarter of a raider game standing in a security line. I would only sign up for a service like this if my employer paid for it and it operated In all of the few airports I rarely go through.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I have global entry (comes with Pre-check) and love it. Will sign up again when mine expires! The lines may look longer, but because you don't have to take anything out of your bags or remove anything you are wearing (except heavy jackets), it is MUCH faster!

Global Entry is convenient, but doesn't save you much time unless you hit an entry port at a bad time. I find that Global Entry means that I wait at baggage claim for the bags to start coming rather than waiting in line at customs. When I fly international with my wife, she typically gets to baggage claim before I get the bags (she doesn't have Global).

Renod

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I fly 15-20 times a year and actually get ticked off when I DON'T get my TSA precheck. It can be a significant time saver especially if you fly during peak hours at major airports. For example I would guess it probably saves at least 30-45 minutes when flying out of Atlanta.

Zonie

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Definitely worth it. It was an $85 fee and expires after 5 years. It really depends on the airports you fly through most often but I will definitely renew when it expires next year.