• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Tubing <from the tower?>

Scott Gore

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
The owners manual for my Yamaha 242x e-series says you can’t tow tubes from the tower. Seems odd. I had a SeaDoo boat for 10 years and towed tubes from the tower all the time.

Anybody have experience with this?

ZippyBoater

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The owners manual for my Yamaha 242x e-series says you can’t tow tubes from the tower. Seems odd. I had a SeaDoo boat for 10 years and towed tubes from the tower all the time.

Anybody have experience with this?

All the owner's manuals say this. It is so you don't launch the tube riders into the air. I have an after-market tower on my SX210 and the manual for that warns about towing tubes from the tower. Go to YouTube and look for videos of tubes being towed from towers and you will see why they put the warning in the manual.

sysinu

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Towing a 6 person tube from the tower runs the risk of capsizing. It shifts too much weight to the top of the boat. Imagine whipping a 6 person tube with 6 adults on it (over 1000 lbs) multiplied by the force created from their velocity to the highest point possible...

So, don't be crazy with it, and it's fine.

But use a longer tow rope, especially with a fwd swept tower to avoid jet wash hitting the tube (which will slow you down a lot and won't be pleasant for the tube riders).

Jameson Clark

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Once upon a time,

It is fine to pull from the tower.

The end.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So it has nothing to do with the lack of strength of the tower?
No it has to do with that too. Here's a short list of reasons why you should NOT tow a tube from the tower:
  • Risk of inadequate tower strength
  • Risk of capsizing the boat
  • Risk of airborne tubes
  • Risk of rope breakage and "sling back" into the cockpit
  • Risk of damage to tower mounted bimini top
  • Risk of damage to hull at tower mounts
It's generally a bad idea to tow a tube from the tower. Most of us (myself included) do it anyway. Doesn't make it right, but does make it common. Do with that information what you will.

Jameson Clark

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I love when tower strength gets brought up. Clearly no one has looked at the way a tower mounts to your boat vs the ski eye/handle.

I also PERSONALLY do not believe there is any chance the 3 person tube I tow can capsize my boat, that is getting pretty far fetched.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I love when tower strength gets brought up. Clearly no one has looked at the way a tower mounts to your boat vs the ski eye/handle.

I also PERSONALLY do not believe there is any chance the 3 person tube I tow can capsize my boat, that is getting pretty far fetched.
Centripital force is T=mass x velocity squared divided by radius. Get a big tube with 3 adults on there and you can easily get several thousand pounds of pull force. Significantly more than just a wakeboarder or surfer can hold onto with their hands.

Mounting of the tower is more robust than the ski eye. Backer plates are larger, bolts are larger, fiberglass is thicker. The forces at play are equally larger, so a relative comparison should be considered.

Dunno what it would take to tip over a boat at speed. I'll have to look into that and get back. Interesting question on if it's really possible, or if it's just an old tale. Anyone ever seen it happen?

SOme quick googling brought up another interesting point......what happens when a tube rider falls off and the tube is now upside down and being drug at speed? What about an accidental submersion of the tube and those additional forces?!?

Interesting thoughts.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Many of us tow smaller tubes from the tower. I get the risks....just unlikely.

Sure if you have a monster tube (especially one of those sit inside ones), it could fill with water easily, then it would weigh a @#$%ton and could cause issues....I have a 2 person one that riders have subbed before, and I'll stop and go very slow while it empties the water out the vents on the back.

sysinu

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I have a blue MOLECULE tube and even though it's "for 3 riders" it can fit 7 or 8 people and be completely fine.

The great thing about the molecule is that it rides with almost no drag... the terrible thing about it, is that it rides with almost no drag! I figured with it being that big that I would have to give it a lot of gas... first time I had it out, I had 5 adults on it and looked down at my speedo and I was doing 30MPH and had just started a turn to whip them.

After I freaked out that we were going so fast, I cut power but they were already whipping. No one fell off but the force from that tube at that speed and with low resistance spun my boat around.

Had that been from my tower, for certain I would have sunk the boat from taking on water. I guess that capsize is the wrong word to use.

I could see whipping a tube through a double up and cutting power through the wake capsizing a boat from tower towing. Maybe not capsizing, but for sure taking on a ton of water.

Scottie

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

Shookie

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I only tow tubes from the tower.....

1. I only use a 2 or 3 person tube and it only has kids in it.
2. I wouldn't want 3 large adults in the 3 person tube
3. If the tower is made to pull adults up out of the water, that stress can't be anymore than a few kids in a tube.
4. Keeps the rope out of the water
5. The tow hook on the stern of my boat sucks, and doesn't allow you to securely loop a rope around it

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
5. The tow hook on the stern of my boat sucks, and doesn't allow you to securely loop a rope around it
This is the reason I will sometimes tow from the tower. Haven't lost the hook while at speed, but have at idle a few times. If it gets annoying I move it to the tower.

fireflymedic

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
It's only a problem if the tube submarines and added problem if it submarines while off to the side pulling on boat sideways.

Tobes

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Ripped my tower apart on an ar190 towing a 2 person tube with about 250lbs onboard.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Ripped my tower apart on an ar190 towing a 2 person tube with about 250lbs onboard.
Wow! Got any pics of what happened?

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yamaha does it in their advertising commercials:

--

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I know someone who tows tubes from the tower!

I do however inflate tubes hard and them finish off with a SUP hand pump to high turgidity (IDK, 5psi?)! I know, sounds a bit odd, but it prevents a tube from going submarine (submerging its edge - can put a lot of pressure on any tow attachment.

--

Osric

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Obviously you should believe what makes sense to you, but I have to ask: have you ever experienced the force on your boat from that tube submarining? I find if a tube is slightly underinflated it is very easy to submarine by accident, and I've no doubt the force of that could pull my 242X right over if it was pulling from the tower at an angle from the boat.

No wakeboarder or surfer could ever produce as much drag as a submarined 3-person tube like ours (a super mable). We also have no difficulty flipping this tube 180 degrees and dumping everyone in the lake even at "kiddie speed" (30kph / 18mph), or getting enough air that you can only see the bottom of the tube from the boat, all while attached to the transom.