• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

UNDERWATER LIGHTS - Suggestions

MikeyL

Passed Away
In Memoriam-RIP
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I wanna start a new thread on suggestions for STRONG blue underwater lights.
The pair we have mounted are not "doing the job" for us.
So I thought I'ld open this up.
I realize not everyone has gone this direction, but many have. And Barbie & I surely would like to hear the experiences of others.

We had H2O lights on our 2013. But we'ld really like something that really lights up the water.
Our plan is to mount them on the outer sides (left and right) of the transom.

I sincerely hope this stirs up some interest and input. Many THANKS in advance.
Mikey Lulejian - Lake Oconee, GA

I appreciate this. But I am really looking for owners who have installed underwater lights successfully and are super pleased with the results, on boats like our Yamahas.

@MikeyL , you know from reading the threads on things like this, that it is very subjective. Having some experience in the area from your previous boat, you also know that all of these units are not created equal, regardless of technology that each manufacturer employs. It is really all about depth of penetration and beam spread. Since the industry isn't regulated, they can "claim" all kinds of things that aren't really apples to apples from one supplier to another. The best thing we have to go on, is word of mouth member to member. Just remember that what one member views as best may not be viewed the same way by another member. Another point to consider, is the water in which the lighting will be used. If it is a lake, chances are that it has to penetrate algae and other clarity pollutants. I had the 36W Abyss S1515 blue light and it was amazing. But...it was amazing in my lake, that didn't have more than about 5' to 7' visibility to black basically. You could see a persons feet when they were floating, and from 7' down, I could generally see the light above me, any deeper and it was gone. As far as horizontal visibility, it was the same I think, but the light would spread out and penetrate between 20'-30' max to the edge of the fading light. Sometimes just a different place on the lake the same day would result in very different illumination. So it is all very subjective. Non of the cheaper units will do what the more potent units will, and cost is both a measure of quality as well as performance. There are a number of brands that I suspect can deliver the quality and performance you want, but for maximum effect, I think you are on the right track in terms of several units. This is my light in the above described lake conditions, a single unit, mounted center transom. It had about a 3 degree down tilt, and any more than that will lose visible penetration as more of the light goes deep rather than shallow where it can be seen. The camera doesn't pick it up, but it penetrates about 20', the camera only sees about 10', and the side to side illumination is fanned out from boat edge to edge and a little beyond. I have seen this same light in ocean water and it is dramatic for a single light. I saw three of these mounted on a boat on their website and that lit up an olympic sized pool behind that much larger boat.
DSCN1760.JPG

I was in West Marine the other day and played around with the working LED samples they have on display. They have one blue led that is super bright, it literally made me jump when it came on and burned my retinas! Not sure of the brand as I couldn't see well after my testing.

You need to check out the SeaBlaze X. I have the Seablaze 3 blue/white LEDs and I'm very happy with them. But if it were available when I was shopping I would have bought the Seablaxe X. The X has some pretty cool features. Both are self contained in a bronze housing with glass not plastic.

The Seablaze X are the lights that blinded me at West Marine. Way strong!

2 H20 lights installed by dealer. Water not as clear as bimini but they are ok. Ideally, I get some more but Im happy with the cost. The costal lights look nuts.

VFywLEw.jpg

My lights are not yet installed. Gonna be a job, and they MUST be under lock & key.
They are so bright, the light will begin to (in a small but significant way)
destruct if left non-submerged for more than 8 minutes.
They use a new type of LED, a "Chip LED from Motorola.
I will install them along with a a small dash mounted "key switch" so they cannot be turned on accidently.

http://www.transomled.com/
They are going to be mounted on the far left and far right sides of the transom, and this give me 8" submerged, before going on plane.
The ABSYSS Starfish lights (qty-2) mounted in the lower center of the transom do not light up enough of Lake Oconee to satisfy Barbie and me ... LOL !
My new lights can also be seen here, referred to as the "Gatlin."
http://www.boatpluglight.com/home.html
More to come.
I was blown away with Andy's "Coastal Lights" but I feel by LED design ... these from are even stronger, from Diablo Royale. And I could talk with the owner and designer himself.
Plus I do not have the SUBMERGED space on a 2015 to do what Andy did on his boat. These lights, the "Gatlins" are 3" in diameter.
More to come and I thank everyone for their suggestions and contributions.
Mikey Lulejian - Lake Oconee, GA

Gatlin.jpg

I did find something others might find useful.
While it does not include the Diablo Royale Design products, it is highly useful nevertheless.

LED Lights - sm.jpg

@MikeyL any chance I could talk you into a detailed follow up on your experience? I'm trying to decide on SeablazeX and something boatpluglight offers. Would love your input, mounting locations/angles etc. look forward to your experience!

Thanks in advance!

@MikeyL any chance I could talk you into a detailed follow up on your experience? I'm trying to decide on SeablazeX and something boatpluglight offers. Would love your input, mounting locations/angles etc. look forward to your experience!

Thanks in advance!

Unfortunately talking to @MikeyL is not going to be possible as he passed away in November.

Oh gah, thats horrible! I remember seeing that thread but didnt put 2 and 2 together. Well, at least we can say we kept his name alive today. Hope you're resting well @MikeyL!!!

Back