• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

UPDATE: AR 190 available now in Dallas area.

nikkoUM

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hey Everyone,

Sorry if this has been covered in other threads. Did try and look around first and didn't immediately see anything.

So, got some bad news that then required a bit of luck and a quick pivot.

I was planning to drive down to South Florida from Chicago to pick up my AR 190. Got the call the other day that my boat was one of the ones that got canceled in the latest round of no-go's. Anyways, we actually found another one in Dallas that we locked up. Looking to pick it up in two weeks, then drive it over to Florida to do some boating for about a week. After that we will throw it back on the trailer and return to Chicago.

This would be my first time traveling a long distance with a boat and am looking for some feedback/guidance from the community. Specifically in the area of overnighting at a location like a hotel. What are some general tips regarding safety, parking, planning, etc. for this? I was going to invest in a good tow lock. Any recos are welcome! :) How do you guys park/secure your rigs for the night? Anyone have any issues or anything with the hotel?

Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

I left the NC coast when hurricane Florence hit. Took the boat with me and stayed a couple nights at hotels. If there is a large parking lot I would leave it hooked up overnight, otherwise use a good hitch lock.

For the long distance trip I recommend a good roadside repair kit for the trailer. Make sure it has a spare tire and that it’s properly inflated before hitting the road. I lost a whole hub assembly on the GA/AL border; luckily had a tandem axle and was close to a lake to drop the boat off to get the trailer repaired.

In terms of locks, buy a decent hitch lock that can resist most bolt cutters (Fastway Fortress for ~$50 for example), and then use a Kryptonite high security chain lock through or around the wheel(s) (cost about $150). If you just have a hitch/tongue lock, the crook can literally chain the tongue to their hitch and drive to a nearby secluded location to finish the job. The chain lock immobilizes your trailer. Two locks is too much time and effort for even determined thieves. Of course, parking in a safe place is step one.

What are you towing with? and have you towed before?

Given you have proper vehicle and you have some towing experience, then unless you go to a shady area you should be fine. As lot as the hitch and trailer is locked on your truck, I would not loose sleep over it. I assume your boat will be fully insured so at the end of the day it is what it is. With the boat being new, ( Phil Dill I assume) the trailer should be ready for travel. If it will make you feel better whenever it is ready I can swing by and check it out for you. But as long as there is crease on the bearing and the tires are properly inflated, you should be good. Transom straps will be a must for such a long trip.

that being said, I am not entirely sure it is a good idea for you to take the boat to Florida right away. The first 10 hours, you will need to babysit your engines as they are breaking in and then do an oil change. If it is was me I would take the boat to my home lake break it in properly and then go Florida or whatever. Making my boats first trip to salt water and unfamiliar water sounds exciting, but maybe too risky for my taste.

Hey Everyone,

Sorry if this has been covered in other threads. Did try and look around first and didn't immediately see anything.

So, got some bad news that then required a bit of luck and a quick pivot.

I was planning to drive down to South Florida from Chicago to pick up my AR 190. Got the call the other day that my boat was one of the ones that got canceled in the latest round of no-go's. Anyways, we actually found another one in Dallas that we locked up. Looking to pick it up in two weeks, then drive it over to Florida to do some boating for about a week. After that we will throw it back on the trailer and return to Chicago.

This would be my first time traveling a long distance with a boat and am looking for some feedback/guidance from the community. Specifically in the area of overnighting at a location like a hotel. What are some general tips regarding safety, parking, planning, etc. for this? I was going to invest in a good tow lock. Any recos are welcome! :) How do you guys park/secure your rigs for the night? Anyone have any issues or anything with the hotel?

Any feedback is greatly appreciated.
@nikkoUM ..... trailered and overnighted many times. I leave the trailer locked to the SUV if possible. A lot of shaking and the vehicle alarm goes off. I have superior cable locks on each trailer wheel and on the trailer post through the eye hook on the bow. Spare tire is also locked and cabled. Trailering cover has cable through one of the ratchets and around the trailer frame. I park under a light as close to the main entrance as possible. The risk increases if you stay in one location several nights as thieves get a chance to see what they might need. At one resort they had a separate lot for boats and the sign said no parking in the main lot with boats hooked-up to vehicles. We had reserved several nights with boating friends - all of us in suites so we had dropped some serious coin. We asked to speak with the manager. I said we would be happy to park our SUVs in the "boat" parking lot and leave our boats locked-up in the main lot right in front of the doors to the resort - because no way are we leaving them in an off-site lot. He looked at me kind of funny so I said yes, you are right, I'd rather have my SUV stolen than my boat. He laughed and said I'm a boater too, no problem and there wasn't. Tire pressures checked and bearing grease checked before departure - as well check tow vehicle tire pressures. I carry an extra bearing kit. Have all paperwork available for smokey in case you are stopped and know the trailering rules of the state you are passing through. Safe trip sounds like fun. Florida - yeah I'm officially jealous! :cool:

Congrats and sounds like a Great Trip! Send some pics..
I would be more worried about road debris and chips out of the hull, then it getting stolen. I recommend some type of mud flaps or RV towing (full width of the vehicle) style rock guards. Even some of that protective coating or sheets of clear film/plastic almost like saran wrap..you can put on to protect her..Just an example below. Keep us updated..

Honestly find a tire shop and get rid of the bias tires and put some radials on. Then make sure you have them inflated correctly max psi cold. Good luck, congrats, don’t forget about break in and if going in salt water make sure to flush after every use. Make sure you pay attention to the order engine on, water on, water off, engine off. Always tow with the boat covered, I would recommend the shipping cover, don’t forget you will need the tower brackets from the dealer that some toss, as to use the new shipping covers you need the tower down. If you use a cover where the tower is up take your bimini cover off and put inside the boat, don’t tow long distances with this on the tower. As you will just wear out the cover sooner the necessary. Any long road trips I always take off and stow in the boat or vehicle. Once you take the boat out of the water, drive a minute or two and then stop to re-check the straps and winch before driving a long distance.

Last edited:
Lock it up good. Make it so difficult for the thief to take your trailer, that it is not worth getting caught. My father has a couple of boats on trailers in the Englewood/Punta Gorda area. I talked to him a couple of days ago about putting gps trackers or a cheaper cell version on his boats/trailers. He said there have been quite a few boats stolen from the West coast and driven to the East coast and sold/stripped lately. I have been looking for an inexpensive tracker for both his boats.

Last edited:
In another thread they talked about using pool noodles on the windshield while trailering to protect the Bimini.

In terms of locks, buy a decent hitch lock that can resist most bolt cutters (Fastway Fortress for ~$50 for example), and then use a Kryptonite high security chain lock through or around the wheel(s) (cost about $150). If you just have a hitch/tongue lock, the crook can literally chain the tongue to their hitch and drive to a nearby secluded location to finish the job. The chain lock immobilizes your trailer. Two locks is too much time and effort for even determined thieves. Of course, parking in a safe place is step one.

This - I use a long padlock which threads through the hitch pin hole. Then I take my chains and thread them onto the rest of the lock as well, as close to the hooks as I can go. This prevents someone from using your own chains to cart off the boat.

I do the following.

1. Lock the wheel with chock wheel lock.
  2. Same side as chock lock I use a heavy duty U Lock so both tires on one side have a security measure on them.
  3. Pull the pin on the trailer tongue and put two round locks, one through each hole.
  4. Wrap a serious chain around the folded tongue I use the Ilakila Security Chain Lock which securely locks the folded tongue.
  5. Have a ball lock.
  6. Throw a GPS Tracker in the boat. If it moves I know it.
  7. Also have lock on Hitch pin on truck.
  8. I Am insured for over what the boat purchase price, basically replacement value of current year boat plus another 20k for gear and upgrades.

I had the same concerns as you did when I took my boat on first vacation trip this last July. Actually I was obsessing over it. But know I don't think twice.

If they want it, it can be stolen regardless. But I try and make it difficult enough so thieves will go find an easier target.

Below are all the items that I have.

Amazon.com : Trimax TCL65 Wheel Chock Lock : Trailer Hitch Locks : Sports & Outdoors

Amazon.com : Kryptonite New-U New York LS Heavy Duty Bicycle U Lock Bike Lock : Sports & Outdoors

Large 4-Position Combination disc Padlock Stainless Steel Rust-Proof Door Warehouse Outdoor Round Cake Tray Padlock Discus Lock with Hardened Steel Shackle Shelf Locker Silver Lock Gym, School, - - Amazon.com

Amazon.com : KILAKILA Security Chain Lock Heavy Duty Bike Lock 10mm Bicycle Lock Motorbike Lock Disc Lock with 16mm U Lock 4-Feet : Sports & Outdoors

Amazon.com: PrimeTracking Personal GPS Tracker- Mini, Portable, Track in Real Time - 4G LTE - SOS Button - Locator Tracking Device - for Kids, Spouses, Seniors, Pets, Cars, Trucks, Travel - Subscription Required

Amazon.com: Fastway Fortress 86-00-5015 Maximum Security Universal Coupler Lock for 1 7/8 Inch, 2 Inch and 2 5/16 Inch Couplers: Automotive

Amazon.com : Kryptonite New-U New York LS Heavy Duty Bicycle U Lock Bike Lock : Sports & Outdoors

Amazon.com: Connor Trailer Hitch Lock - 5/8" Black Nickel Hitch Pin for Class III, IV, V Hitches, 1615190 Receiver Lock: Automotive

Amazon.com: Master Lock Trailer Lock, Stainless Steel Adjustable Coupler Latch Lock, 2847DAT: Automotive

Last edited:
Hi Everyone

Thanks for all of the helpful suggestions. This forum is great. Definitely a departure from some of the sports ones I end up on. :)

Anyways... Bit of an update.

I got a call from my original dealer who I was getting my AR190 from. They were able to secure our order through the factory and now I dont have to drive to Dallas. Now I can drive straight down to FLA pick up my boat, put it through its paces, do the oil change, pack it up and drive it back for a month or two in the garage.

Anyways, I don't like wasting peoples time. Even sales people. The guy in Dallas we had secured the back up from went out of his way to make things easy for us. So, for anyone that's interested. They have a brand new, grey, AR190 with a black trailer sitting on their lot ready to go. Currently I'm sitting on the deposit for it and will release it today. So if anyone in the area is looking to get one now. Its there waiting.

Feel free to DM me and I can set you up with the guy who I was speaking with. Would like to throw him a lead for his time.

Nick

Here is a pic of the boat. Its at PD. Not sure how long it would take them to clear it out of its current "sold" situation. Anyways, its not the end of the world but, would like to hand the guy a lead as I pull my deposit. Good karma comes back. :)

Attachments

• 2021-YAMAHA-AR190-Lewisville-New-N301197-662162.jpg
    2021-YAMAHA-AR190-Lewisville-New-N301197-662162.jpg
    411.9 KB · Views: 24
Congrats on the boat. If your out on the Chain of lakes at all.... You won't be the only Gray 2021 AR190. I got lucky and got mine on 7/30/2021 and put about 50 hours on it before I had to put it away for the winter!

Hi,

where in South Florida?

Oh, Congrats on new toy

Have towed our boats all over the place. Overnight I always try and leave it hooked up to the tow vehicle. If I unhook I do as others have said and use a round hardened lock through the hinge holes on the tongue. One of these:
1612294781231.png

The only trouble I've had is someone took the brake fluid cover overnight at one hotel....probably just kids f'ing around. I'll duct tape it down in the future! Wheel locks would be the only next step I'd take....

And of course have a spare, jack, tire iron (the right size)

Hi,

where in South Florida?

Oh, Congrats on new toy

We have a townhouse in Fort Lauderdale. Victoria Park. Currently has a tenant in it. We are most likely going to rent a place in the keys. Thinking Hawks Cay area.

Back