• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Upgrade time?

bucks448

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I'm thinking about going bigger, and looking at 242LS, AR240, or a 212X. The 212X is in the running because I'm 98% sure I can avoid storage fees, but I seem to get the upgrade bug every few years.

I guess I have two questions...
Is now the time to upgrade or should I hold for to see what 2015 offers and potentially a leftover 2014?
I know what the differences in the 242LS and AR240 features are, and I'm not sure the price difference is warranted, so from tow point is there any difference for watersports?

You have a boat now, so I suggest enjoying it the rest of the summer. It is believed that Yamaha is making changes to their larger series boat. Hold off, see what they have to offer and if you do not like what you see go for a leftover 2014 at a discounted price.

Last edited:
When are the announcements made, August/September?

The other weighing factor is I'm looking at $21K trade-in value on the 2012 SX190 and wondering if that will hold.

Sell your current boat towards the end of summer when people still have the bug, then buy your new boat in the dead of winter...

The middle of the season is high season for sure...and it is probably high season on your trade as well. I would offer this on a leftover...I had to have my turf replaced, the stereo replaced, and it remains to be seen what the sun and heat did to the remainder of the boat. Saving a couple grand per year may not be worth the wear and tear that being stored for several seasons adds to the boat. I think I would personally think twice about it if I were doing it over again. Not to say you can't get the boat back to a new condition, but it does take some pressure to get the dealer and Yamaha to step up. I have a great relationship with Phil Dill and they took the ball and ran. It is less likely to get the selling dealer, if not in your town, to do the same. And most dealers don't want to go through all this if they didn't sell it. The reason is that the get less in a warranty claim from yamaha than they would in a paid service or repair.

I believe the new boats will be announced the first week in September or there about. As for your trade value, if you already have a price from a dealership for trade, asking him if that trade is going to be good on a newer boat will give you the best answer, everything else would be speculation on our part.

@jawsf16 Yea, I'd prefer to sell it outright, but the logistics of selling a boat with a lien seem complicated.

Just finalize the sale at the bank where your loan is, or a bank that is willing to serve as third party to your loan vendor. You will save a few thousand dollars probably...

As for changes in the 2015 jet boat line up, I suspect it's on par for year over year. The speculation I've heard is the fish/center console line making an appearance and possibly the cruiser, which I'd be interested in but likely not in my price range and seemingly underpowered.

Just finalize the sale at the bank where your loan is, or a bank that is willing to serve as third party to your loan vendor. You will save a few thousand dollars probably...
I may try this, but looking at listings for the last week or so, it seems the market is around $22K. I have over 220hrs on it, maybe the upgrades offset it a bit ;)

I imagine that if you call your lender they will assist you in the sale and suggest how to do it. Only trade it in to the dealer on your last resort.

Ok, so it seems like I have some options on selling.

What about the differences in the 242LS and AR240? I want to get out of the upgrade cycle and end up with a tower.

I have an AR240 and considered the LS as well when I bought (late model used boat with low hours). Generally speaking, you are talking about a $6-8k price difference for a number of features such as upgraded carpeting, seat cushions on the swim platform, forward sweeping tower, etc. That said, the boats have the same hull, motor, seating config and are much more similar than different. Functionally, they are identical. To my it comes down to your preference in styling. The LS has a more luxurious feel whereas the AR has a sportier look. Many have said that when buying new that the upcharge for the LS provides good value.

Don't worry about carpeting or seat pads on the swim deck. Berber carpet can be found for under $300 (and looks awesome in the AR) and the swim deck pads can be purchased from jetboatpilot for a few hundred. Biggest differences are the tower and the seating material. Be careful, if you are tall you can't stand and drive the LS without a concussion. I am 6'4" and it was a deal breaker for me - I stand and drive all the time.

The biggest concern I have is with the tower. I will definitely be doing bimini extensions front and rear. It looks like with either tower, adding a rear bimini extension will require it to be collapsed while towing. Without the bimini extension, do either offer better shade coverage? Also, is there really no difference towing from either tower position (for the rider)?

@Julian thanks, it seem like there are option for forward swept towers and biminis. I guess this means you could accommodate a larger rear bimini with the AR240...hmm...

@JetBoatPilot could make a Bimini extension for the ar240 and have lots of customers!!

On the 242 you can run the tow line under the main and extended Bimini but I prefer to store both when towing from the tower instead. I don't know about the price differences between the towers but the other extras of the 242 would cost you time and money to install into a 240 series boat. The tower has small tweeters and LEDs. The swim deck cushions are available and run around $200 each. The stereo is also upgraded along with the carpet and you get a fresh water shower system, docking lights and stainless steel cup holders. The swim deck backrest cushions are also shaped a little differently to accommodate the speakers back there. I don't think the ARs come with speakers back there but many have been able to fit 6.5"s in the area available. Not sure about the ARs but the ls trailer comes with a spare and boat buckles.

@Ronnie I didn't realize you can run the tow line under the bimini on the 242. I do like the forward swept tower, but I'm trying to determine if the $6K price difference from the 240 is worth it. I think you listed all the differences I had come up with. The only thing that's a must have for me is the shower...

242LS vs AR240 upgrades:
Teak-style carpet
Head with upholstered interior and light
Upgraded custom steering wheel
Flush mounted docking lights
Upholstered cushioned seats
Freshwater shower
Wireless stereo remote
Bluetooth® connectivity
Polk® marine speakers and swim deck
Flush mounted tweeter speakers in tower
Flush mounted LED lights in tower